cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portland, OR I-5 to I-84

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be passing through Portland between 11am and noon tomorrow from the North going to Hood River and wondering the best route through the metro.

Staying on I-5 to I-84 or I-5 to I-205 to I-84 then East?
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel
9 REPLIES 9

a1albert
Explorer
Explorer
If you do decide to go up WA14 cross at Cascade Locks, do not go to White Salmon and cross the bridge is real narrow.

Albert
06 Chev
2013 Cougar High Country 299RKSHC
Elite 18k hitch, Sidewinder pinbox

a1albert
Explorer
Explorer
I would take I-5, 205 then I84. When you exit off of 205 to I84 you can use the 2 right lanes to exit, the far right lane is exit only but then you will have to merge to the left lane. Where are you going in Hood River, upper valley or the West side? The first exit will take you to the west side and down town Hood River. don't take the second exit it will dump you off in downtown. The third exit will send up to the upper valley to Odell and Parkdale. \Where are you staying in my area?

Albert
06 Chev
2013 Cougar High Country 299RKSHC
Elite 18k hitch, Sidewinder pinbox

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with 84 too. While you are in Hood River there is the Full Sail Brewery. Nice views from there.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
What everyone says! Downtown Portland and I-5 is not RV friendly.

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
205 is the only way to go. Forget I-5. When you're on I-5 stay on the right lane to merge to I205. Speed limit drops to 60mph on I205 from the 70mpg on I-5. When you get into Oregon to merge from I-205 to I-84 be careful. The merge onto I-84 put you into the fast lane or left lane so you will need to merge over to the right if you are slow.
My new DRW and camper on the truck the first time.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming you're coming from the North

You can avoid the Portland metro area altogether by traveling the Washington side of the gorge. (I-205 to exit 27, "Wa Hwy 14"). Very scenic, not as busy as I-84, and easy access to the Oregon side at either Cascade Locks or White Salmon (W.S. is directly across the river from Hood River).
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick replies...looks like we'll be on the 205.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The '2' at the start of I205 means it is a belt way. Usually those are faster than the routes through the city (I5).

On Google Maps, I5/I84 is 6 miles longer than I206/I84. And with midday traffic their time estimate is 12 min longer.

If you did miss the I205 split, WA14 and WA500 are freeway quality cross overs.

There are many webcams in this area, viewable via WSDOT or Tripcheck (OR DOT), along with traffic flow maps.

Also the I205 bridge across the Columbia is newer, with an open concrete deck, and 4 lanes in each direction. I5 bridge is older (and due for replacement) with an overhead steel truss, and 3 lanes.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
205 for sure. From the north you miss most congestion except near the airport