cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for a a route from PA to CO avoiding IL

GDC
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to leave PA for CO in early August. I am looking for a route that avoids Illinois as both of us have carry permits and don't need the stress of crossing Illinois with firearms on top of the Covid issues. I'm thinking of crossing the Mississippi in KY or TN and cutting up to 70 through MO. Is this reasonable?

Greg
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad cab 4x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2006 Coachmen Freedom 314SO
Dingy - 2002 Chevy Tracker, aka "The Buggy"
13 REPLIES 13

dedmiston
Wadcutter wrote:
Don't worry about traveling thru IL. There's a lot of BS on the internet repeated by people who don't have a clue about IL law. IL firearm laws are not as onerous as some of these ill-informed internet firearm 'experts' portray.
As long as you have a valid CCW from your home state you can have a loaded firearm in your vehicle while traveling thru IL.
Here's IL's statute:
430 ILCS 66/40
(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

Thanks for the helpful info.

That should do it for this thread.

OP - You can message me if you'd like the thread reopened. Otherwise, it looks to me like you got the info you're looking for.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
GDC wrote:
Wadcutter wrote:
Don't worry about traveling thru IL. There's a lot of BS on the internet repeated by people who don't have a clue about IL law. IL firearm laws are not as onerous as some of these ill-informed internet firearm 'experts' portray.
As long as you have a valid CCW from your home state you can have a loaded firearm in your vehicle while traveling thru IL.
Here's IL's statute:
430 ILCS 66/40
(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

Thank you this is useful and new information to me!
Greg

You are welcome. I spent my career making sure people got the correct legal information so they can avoid problems.
As you can tell from some of the others who posted 'stuff' they don't know beans from applebutter about IL law.
Have a safe and enjoyable trip.
Camped in every state

GDC
Explorer
Explorer
Wadcutter wrote:
Here's IL's statute:
430 ILCS 66/40

Thank you this is useful and new information to me!
Greg

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with others. Put your weapons where they can't be reached,obey the speed limit and cruise through. But if you really want to avoid it,take I-79 to I-64 then get on one of the parkways that takes you around the tip of Illinois and into Missouri. But it does take you out of your way. If you're not in a hurry and don't care about the extra gas it's a nice drive. WE live near Reading,Pa and have taken that route once coming back to Pa from Az.The route got us close to the northern end of LBL and we stayed at one of the Canal campground overnight.If you have the Senior Pass it's half price.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure the gun laws in Ill, or any other state would rank very high on my list of worries.
Last time I was in Ill in pickup, stopped at a rest area. Half a dozen LEO had some guys chained up behind a old car. 2 where going thru pockets, 2 going thru car. The other 2 where about 20 ft away holding pistols pointed towards the old car. I asked "Is it safe to go to bathroom?" Just don't get between us and those guys. I could see, about 50 feet past "those guys" was the restroom door. "Does everybody in that restroom know you are putting their lives at risk?"
While you are looking up the gun laws, might want to check into Civil Asset Forfeiture rules for states you will go thru.

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
Here's IL's statute:
430 ILCS 66/40
Camped in every state

stevepk
Explorer
Explorer
You can have your guns loaded in your vehicle with your permit. You can’t get out of your vehicle with it. That Illinois law. Go to Illinoiscarry.com and read up
2018 F-250
2017 Prime Time Avenger ATI 27RKS

caver
Nomad
Nomad
GDC wrote:
Thanks Caver. Does the 400/50 route avoid Kansas City as well?

Yes by a long shot. I hate I70 across Missouri and not fond of the part through downtown KC. Also, you avoid the toll road. If you got to Springfield google maps has you routing around Joplin. Those are very rural roads but are paved. You can go through Joplin and join up with 400/50. It also suggest going to Wichita and joining back up with I70 but I prefer the less traveled roads. I would check conditions around Wichita as there was heavy road construction east of the city when I was through there last September.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Just cruise on through. I do it once or twice a year. First they need to stop you. I haven't been stopped for a traffic violation in twenty five years. I'm not in a hurry and prefer 62-65 and keep an eye open for speed changes. Cruise control is your friend just enjoy the corn harvest till you get to Missouri.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to check federal law on the subject of firearms transportation
18 USC
While I wouldn't disagree on avoiding foreign nations and their draconian laws. You can travel with it, but locked in a separate container from the ammunition for the duration of your transit.

GDC
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Caver. Does the 400/50 route avoid Kansas City as well? We got hit by a guy who didn't understand how to merge in heavy traffic there a few years ago and my wife is a bit nervous to go through there again. Also how long does it take to get to Pueblo that way? We are ultimately heading to Castle Rock so heading north on i25 from Pueblo would work.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just store any weapons where you can’t get to them unloaded and the ammo in a different area. Don’t speed and you should be fine.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

caver
Nomad
Nomad
If you cross at Cairo you will be in IL for 1 mile as you go from the Ohio River Bridge to the Mississippi River Bridge. You can take 60 (divided hwy)across to near the Mo state line and either wander back up to I70 or do what I do and take 400/50 all the way to Pueblo which is often the route I take from Southern MO. The next crossing of the Mississippi south is the Dorena Hickman Ferry. The next south is at Dyersburg. http://dorena-hickmanferryboat.com/tolls.htm