cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rest Stop, east San Francisco Bay area

fidhleir
Explorer
Explorer
I'm heading from Morro Bay to the Sonoma area and need a place to pull off for a break while getting around the San Francisco area. I'll be making a stop at the Wal-Mart in Salinas and will need one more break before we reach our destination. Depending on traffic we'll either go up 880 through Oakland or 680 through Walnut Creek. I don't see any rest stops, Wal-Mart, or Camping World (my usual stops) on either route. I'm a long bed crew cab F250 with a 36' fifth wheel so over 50' parking space needed. Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
IF you are using the 80 to go north via Vallejo then you can pull off at the Hilltop Dr exit 198 in Richmond and go over to the Hilltop Mall. There is a Walmart there and a mostly empty parking lot.

I would use 680 instead of 880. 880 or 580 ends up putting you into the 580/880/80/Bay bridge perpetual traffic jam.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

fidhleir
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. I get overwhelmed in the Oakland traffic and never sure where to get off without getting trapped. Just looking for a stretch and bathroom break.

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I can't think of any rest areas off of 880 or 680.If you take 880, you could get off at Marina Blvd and go west to the San Leandro marina. There's a couple of restaurants, golf course and several huge parking lots that you could easily fit it. There's scenic views of the bay and Marina, walking paths, etc. It would be a great place to stop, assuming you don't intend to stay overnight. You can see it from a earth view on Google maps.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Waterbird Regional Preserve. If you just need a place to park for a few hours, however no dogs allowed. Take I-680 north past Concord and Highway 4. About two miles before the Benicia-Martinez Bridge, take the Marina Vista/Waterfront Road exit. At the end of the off-ramp turn right onto Waterfront Road, drive about 1/4 mile, turn right onto Waterbird Way, and watch for the right turn into the Preserve.

There is also the Suisan Bay Overlook at exit 61 on 680 past the bridge.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try RV Parky free ap.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
State rest stops in our urban areas are few to none, fid. How many in OC for instance? None in LA County until you get to the Frazier Park area.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad