cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Road to Ardmore, OK

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
We have friends that are coming from Wisconsin to Ardmore, OK. He is thinking of coming down 169 to I40 to 177. He is pulling a fifth wheel. Is that a decent route or is there a better way? Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of 169, try 69 south through Kansas and Oklahoma down to Durant, OK. Good road, avoids I-40, avoids Tulsa and other large cities. Durant to Ardmore is a lightly traveled two land road.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Last October 177 from Shawnee to the split with OK-3W was okay. Not great - but okay. A few sections are concrete slabs with some very slight heaving.

Several of our friends headed to the west side of Dallas/Fort Worth take that route and are happy with it. Avoids most of OKC and the traffic on I-35 - which isn't bad if not hitting rush hour.

They cut over on the Chickasaw Turnpike to OK-7 to I-35 - not going through Sulphur. Downtown Sulphur isn't horrible - but is a bit tight for towing.

Immediately south of Sulphur in the Chickasaw National Rec Area - a mid-steep climb on 2-lane road. Slow and watch for folks turning off. Some mild hills the next 10 miles.

Others will need to comment on US-169 and I-40 through Oklahoma (we're always crossing I-40 - not taking it).
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT