cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roads Most Traveled

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Becoming a member of this forum has led me to take a closer look to the roads and destinations we have traveled and visited over the past 15 years. I tried a little experiment (which some of you may wish to do.)

I traced a line with pencil over the routes we followed--retracing when the same route was followed again. The result is not scientific, but it does give an approximation. I will inclue an image of this experiment below, but first some interesting statistics. I decided to list only those destinations we have visted more than five (5) times.

The over all winner is Buena Vista, CO with 17 different stays (OK, my daughter lived there); Santa Fe comes in second with 9 visits. St. Andrews State Park in Florida is number three with 8 visits. Fredericksburg, TX and Gunnison, CO each have 7 visits. Estes Park, CO and the Atlanta, GA area each have 6 visits. Fort Pickens in Florida has 5 visits, so I will go ahead and include it.

Runners-up are Blue Grass of Kentucky; Monroeville, AL; Texas Valley; Western North Carolina; and Colorado Springs.

EDIT to add the states we have NOT stayed in: Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Connecticut; and Delaware. Maybe an idea for another trip.

Here is the rather crude route tracing:

20 REPLIES 20

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Nice visual, thanks
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
OK, I know it really doesn't matter, but in the interest of honest reporting I have to make some corrections. I left out the entire log from one fifth-wheel which changes the standing in this way:

BTW, these are not based on number of nights, a visit is the same in this record whether one night or more.

Buena Vista remains on top but now with 20 visits; Fort Pickens and Atlanta move up with 11 visits each; St. Andrews now has 10, and Santa Fe 9. Monroeville, AL and Fredericksburg, TX have 8 each while Gunnison, CO has 7. Western North Carolina with 6 and Bluegrass area of Kentucky with 5 round out this list.

Over 140,000 miles with four fifth-wheels and still traveling! ๐Ÿ™‚

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Hi, DutchmenSport, there are actually two lines across Indiana--one didn't show up as well on the scan. Both pleasant memories.

The first time after a "fellow traveler" had mechanical trouble we got off late in the day from Henderson, KY and only got to Starve Hollow State Park--nice park.

The other trip was back from southern Michigan across central Indiana and Illinois. I must admit we did not have an overnight in Indiana on that trip.

Remember, now, this has only to do with RV trips. I have many other good personal memories of Indiana.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
An interesting procedure, rockhillmanor. I'm reluctant to respond specifically, but I expect that I may be in the same age range as you and there are many things that "I'm too old for . . ."

I keep a log on an Ecel spreadsheet. After every trip I enter the exact mileage, number of nights, and other data. After I posted, I discovered that I left out the log for one entire fifth-wheel so I'll post about that below.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Gee, only 1 line through Indiana. ๐Ÿ˜ž Are we that boring?

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I used to highlight the route I was going to take on the atlas. So I could just look down at it while driving and see where a turn off to another road was coming up. I still use the highlighted atlas on the seat next to me while driving just to keep the GPS honest.

I found from year to year traveling I never had to highlight the route on the map anymore because it was already there. For me once I find a nice route I take it over and over and over again. I'm too old for surprises now. I like the road I choose to my destination to be RV friendly period.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.