cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rock Shield for Tow Vehicle

Basketweaverz
Explorer
Explorer
I am sorry if this has been asked multiple times but I got no hits using the search feature, so here goes.

We plan to spend next summer in Alaska. Driving up the Alcan and home on the Cassiar. Home is just south of BC border. We have a 2000 Flair 30 foot motorhome. Tires new in 2013 and due to a health problem, we didn't get to snowbird last winter, so less than 50 miles on new tires. We will be towing a little Geo Tracker.

Do we need a rock shield other than the deflector already on the back of the motorhome?

Thank you in advance for your answers.
4 REPLIES 4

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not knowing what to expect in Alaska I make screen protectors for headlights and radiator openings, bubble wrap for tow car windshield and a protecta toad type shield for under the tow car. Having done all this if I went back I would only use the windshield protector for the tow car . It was easy to take on and off. I did get a broken windshield on the MH on that trip but it was in Wyoming from a stone thrown from a truck on the interstate.

Tee_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
Nine trips in the last 8 years from the Olympic Pen to the Kenai and return in truck and trailer. No windshield damage, no tire damage. Some with toweds like an "underbra" as part of the towbar.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We have shields behind each tire but nothing across the rear of the motorhome. We actually saw folks removing them in Whitehorse because of throwing rocks into the toad windshield. We saw layer of rocks laying on the vehicles. We didn't have any damage. Have fun planning your trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Not really! The Main Roads are paved so the only Gravel that You will likely encounter would be at Construction Sites or if You decide to travel off the regular routes.
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD