Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route Canon City, CO to Moab, UT

Tony_DiannesRV
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all-
We are on our cross-country trip (finally!)
We are based here in a campground off Rte 50 in Canon City now. Next stop is Moab, UT. If we take 50W all the way to I70 in Grand Junction and then into Utah, is there anything we should be concerned about regarding steep passes? We are towing a 30' 5'er with a 2015 2500 Sierra gas.

If this is not the best route, is there a better route? We are concerned about mountain passes and safety the most; not so much about the time. The weather ahead looks great for travel.
Thanks in advance, Tony
2004 28' H.R. Alumascape named Maude
2008 GMC 2500 P/U
5 Grown Kids/5 Adorable Grandaughters & 1 Prince grandson
16 REPLIES 16

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
I do not dispute the beauty of 128; it is great. I just don't recommend it with an RV. And, if you do it with a TV or toad you can go up to Fisher Towers which we love.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Tony&DiannesRV wrote:
Hi all:
Well, we made it to Moab in one piece! It was a very looong day.
Monarch Pass wasn't all that bad; it was what we expected from reading your answers here. But we weren't ready for the ups and downs all along Route 50 after that.

Once on Route 128 in Utah, we were shocked to travel that long & narrow, washboard road! I mean, it was on our map, yet appeared to be some small, endless back road. It was absolutely gorgeous, though...one we will not ever forget.

Moab is a great little town, and Arches is awesome. Thank again for your help.

Where next? We can help with the route and possibly add a stop so as to not make it such a long day. If Dolores is the next stop look into some possibilities a little North Rico - Dunton (Dirt/Gravel road in and out) - Trout Lake - Telluride - Ouray. Then just over the mountain Silverton - Lake City - Black Canyon NP - Crested Butte........

So much to see and do that the route is often critical so as to see more.

Even with the narrow drive on 128 it's a drive I dream about - Just Beautiful and a great way to get to Moab, and with scenery like that who's in a hurry.

BOL,

Busskipper
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
I don't send people down the 128 with an RV; tell them to drive it with a TV or toad.

I like the 279 just as much.

Arches is one of our very favorite parks. Been there several times and used to do backcountry hiking there. If you do any hiking at all I HIGHLY recommend hiking up to Delicate Arch. It is an experience you will never forget.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
If you enjoyed the scenery on rt 128, also consider driving down rt 279 which continues along the CO river but on the south side of town. Early in the drive next to the river, pay attention to any parked cars on the road... chances are they are climbing the big canyon walls there so stop and take a look.

You can also drive on the opposite side of the CO river and that road is Kane Creek Road. Travels along the river for a number of miles then heads up out of the river canyon. Both are some interesting drives and worth it and OK for your truck.

And BTW, good thing you made it through there earlier today as I got a weather warning about a winter type storm moving through the high country. Got the warning since I'm less than 2 1/2 hours from Monarch Pass and current radar shows they are getting snow :E
I love me some land yachting

Tony_DiannesRV
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all:
Well, we made it to Moab in one piece! It was a very looong day.
Monarch Pass wasn't all that bad; it was what we expected from reading your answers here. But we weren't ready for the ups and downs all along Route 50 after that.

Once on Route 128 in Utah, we were shocked to travel that long & narrow, washboard road! I mean, it was on our map, yet appeared to be some small, endless back road. It was absolutely gorgeous, though...one we will not ever forget.

Moab is a great little town, and Arches is awesome. Thank again for your help.
2008 GMC 2500 P/U

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
US 50 should not be a problem. Monarch pass has a passing lane all the way to the top.

The last two times I went over Monarch traffic was very light with few trucks.

Just be careful on downside and let the gears control your speed so you do not have to use the brakes anymore than necessary.

It is possible you will need to use 2nd gear which may increase your total travel time by possibly 10 minutes. But what is 10 minutes in a 350 mile 6 hour trip!

Tony_DiannesRV
Explorer
Explorer
Your responses help a lot. Thanks very much!
2008 GMC 2500 P/U

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Basically, you are in CO and, at some point, you will have passes to get over the mountains. Fact of life. That route you will have Monarch Pass going up to about 11,300 feet or so with maybe up to nine miles of 6% or so up and down.

You might consider taking the 285 / 24 up to the interstate.

As you probably already know, gas engines do not like altitude. If you did not know that be aware you will be loosing power more the higher you go; you will be fine, just be aware that you will have less power.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned Monarch pass is the only real pass you will go over. There will be another decent hill or two on the west side of Blue Mesa Res. On I 70 you will encounter a few good hills as you get close to the Utah State line but nothing that is a big deal. HWY 128 as previously mentioned is fantastic and I highly recommend you take it whether you do it inbound to Moab or as a side trip one of the days you are there is up to you. It does follow the river and is a bit curvey and not exceptionally wide. You may enjoy it more without the RV.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
One suggestion - get off I70 at exit 214 in UT for route 6 to route 128 to Moab. Great drive including a section in a canyon alongside the Colorado River.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
TexasShadow wrote:
you will find Monarch pass west of Salida a bit of a challenge, but lots of big rigs do it every day.

Yes, and not many options avoiding a pass(es) in CO. OP, The route you have chosen would absolutely be the route I would take.

Salida/Poncha Springs/Buena Vista are great areas to hang out in but sounds like you are just passing through Salida area. Monarch Pass is a great drive too and it is not too bad... just gear down on the descent. I take my TT over that pass a lot and do not find it nerve racking. Hwy 50 around Blue Mesa Res. is very scenic and worthy of picture taking. Then the eastern descent into Montrose is not bad at all.
I love me some land yachting

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
you will find Monarch pass west of Salida a bit of a challenge, but lots of big rigs do it every day.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Tony_DiannesRV
Explorer
Explorer
We're on it! Made reservations months ago for Spanish Trail.
2008 GMC 2500 P/U

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Make any reservations you will need in Moab before you leave. Moab is a very busy place this time of the year and RV sites are hard to get as well as Motel reservations.