cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route from Maine to Gatlinburg? Least traffic?

rvfiddleddd
Explorer
Explorer
Hi! We pull a 41' 5th wheel and so far have only traveled out west where the traffic is more sparse. This August we're going to start in the Maritimes and head down the eastern seaboard during fall colors....hoping to end up in the Smoky Mountains around the first of November. My husband is concerned about driving around New York City and the congested areas of the eastern US. Any recommendations on how to avoid some of that traffic? Routes? Back roads? Toll roads vs. regular roads? We'd greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks so much!
20 REPLIES 20

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just left Cape Cod. Did 95, which was awful, then 287 and over the Tappan Zee Bridge towards PA and down 81. 81 is a major truck route but still better than 95 IMHO. Previously did 84 going into CT and the roadway was awful; stay away. Thought I was going to break something. Previously lived and commuted around DC and I'll go way out of my way to avoid 95 there.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
95 to 495 around Boston then 90 to 84 and then 81 all the way down.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can pick up I-84 off the Mass Pike (I-90) and connect with I-81 south. It's rough road and construction areas between Scranton and Harrisburg. We like to cut down US209 through the Delaware Water Gap and connect to I-80 to I-81.

Avoid I-95 through New York. No reason to go that way because you're headed for I-81 anyway.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deleted - I sent you to Florida DUH!!
:S
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
About the only way to avoid NY and Philly is going to be to head inland. It really depends on what you are set on seeing in between your start and your end locations. Look at I-84 to I-81 through PA. Not far from the I-84 and I-81 junction is Ricketts Glenn state park Ricketts website. When you get close to the Harrisburg area you could visit Hershey, Lancaster, Gettysburg and work your way south to DC if you want to or continue down I-81. Another suggestion would be Seneca Rocks WV area to include the Cass Railroad and several caverns in the area.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
With a good sized 5er be careful about clearances on Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge parkway. There are guides available for both listing clearances.
www.visitskylinedrive.org
www.blueridgeparkway.org
In much of Virginia and NC you may be better off taking I-81 with the camper, and after parking use the truck to explore the most scenic spots.