CA 49 from Oakhurst to Placerville
US 50 to CA 62 to I-80
I-80 to destination at Loomis, CA

Will appreciate any and all comments and/or advice. Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

Maynard
Explorer
Explorer
I've towed on that section of 49 north of Mariposa and it was definitely not fun.

2002 Jayco Eagle 264BH
2003 GMC 2500HD D/A CC

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
So carp we're all waiting to hear what route you took.

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from the Jackson, CA area. We live right by Loomis. We took 49 from 50 to Jackson and back. IMO that's a tough drive with a toad. It's doable, but the lanes are narrow and the roads are very twisty in sections.

There are some areas with LOW BRANCHES. Our fiver is only 12 ft tall, but your motorhome may be 13 feet plus. I'd worry about all those trees.

I've also driven HWY 99 to and back from Fresno, via HWY 50. IMO that's a piece of cake. I'd take 99 any day over the detours and hassle of dealing with all those trees and twists and turns.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Also you could also take 198 West to Lassen/Road 145 and just take that all the way up and hop on 99 at Madera. But that's not that pretty of a drive. And when towing, I'd rather be on a busier highway where people can easily pass me instead of feeling like I'm holding up traffic.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I'm also confused why you'd want to avoid 99 that bad, unless you really are looking for a scenic trip. To avoid 99, I'd personally take Hwy 63 out of Visalia, then cut across west on 180, then north on Academy, then west on Shepherd... then just work your way over to 41 to get onto Ave 12 as previously suggested. It's still picturesque until you get into Clovis but like someone else said, that's quite a bit of backtracking just to avoid some Hwy 99 traffic for about 5 miles. Hwy 41 in Fresno can really stink too depending on time of day, but not enough to go that far out of the way.

-side note, I know it says I live in CO but I'm from Visalia and lived in Fresno for years.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I must be missing something on 99 because I can't imagine going thru all that to avoid it. If you don't like 99 cut over to 5 as soon as you can and take that to 80. Los Banos is closest cut-over to 5 after Fresno, but we like to go farther north and cut over at Manteca.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Ouch wrong button

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Take Hwy 41 north from Hwy 99 to Ave 12 then cut back over to Hwy 99, you will not like Hwy 49 unless your on a nice Harley. Or Hit Fresno at 9AM and stay in center lane it's not that bad.

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Although that is a very scenic route, it's WAY out of the way to Loomis. You are adding a lot of miles and time to your trip. There are places in your route that are twisty, mountainous roads. Why do you want to avoid 99 at Fresno? I've done the 99 trip many times and it's not that bad. It's flat and a way more direct route. If you've got plenty of time and would prefer the scenic route you'll do fine, they are good roads with no real concerns.