cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rv to Lake Chapala area

bcr
Explorer
Explorer
We are posting to this forum for the first time, so hope we are doing it right! We would like to take our fifth wheel from Canada to Mexico to the Lake Chapala area for 3 months in Jan. 2017. We would cross the border on the eastern side of northern Mexico. However, we just found out the northern border states are designated "under travel advisory" by the Can. govt. due to violence. We realize we would just be passing through the northern states, but we are still concerned about making that passage. One of our questions is if anyone knows of a caravan or another small group we could join up with to make our first trip. Our dates could be flexible to accommodate such help. Thanks!
23 REPLIES 23

bcr
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all so much for this info. It is invaluable. What a great source - and what great people to take the time to reply. We are sifting thru the options presented - but already feel much better about the whole thing ๐Ÿ™‚
Maybe we'll see you in Mexico!

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
There is a south ring road, it comes out just north of the airport on the guadalajara chapala road. It's is tough to get onto from the cuota from Laredo, you have go the wrong direction twice and loop around as the interchanges are not finished..

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
We have often crossed near Laredo, TX but west of Laredo at a crossing known as Columbia Crossing which allows avoiding city traffic on both sides of the border. There are a couple different routes you can take to get to Chapala. The last I knew the only RV park near Chapala is
. . . http://www.roca-azul.com/ . . .
which is at the west end of the lake with about a 20 mile trip into Ajijic and Chapala.

Be sure to carefully read the "stickies" at the top of this forum. We get our insurance from
. . . . http://www.mexicanautoinsurance.com/ . . .
be sure you understand how Mexico insurance works and get what you need. Also be sure you get all the proper permits etc. The border can be somewhat of a hassle the first trip - not at all like the US/Canada crossings - too much paperwork - but it has to be done.

Maps and a good GPS are important and route planning is important. People on this forum can help with route planning and stops along the way once you have an idea of what you want to do and where you want to go.

A new bypass around the south side of Guadalajara has been under construction for a few years and could be open by the time you need it - but it may not be on a map yet - this will make a huge difference in avoiding Guadalajara traffic.

In Mexico there are bypass or ring or loop roads called periferico or libramente around most cities and even small towns which are a big help - your GPS may want to go through town but you want to try to always take the circle around town.

There are two kinds of roads you want to be aware of in Mexico. Cuotas are toll roads and they are expensive - a bad idea where private companies build and supposedly maintain the roads - the tolls are so high many Mexicans cannot afford to use them - they are generally good roads with little traffic - big 4 lane roads. Then there are libres which are free roads which are often narrow and only two lanes - but in recent years there has been a great deal of highway construction all over Mexico and roads have been improving greatly. There are times to take the cuota and times to take the libre. Get help here with mapping your route.

Roads in Mexico are controlled by a Gov't agency called SCT. They have a website

. . . http://www.sct.gob.mx/informacion-general/planeacion/cartografia/mapa-por-estado/ . . . .

where you can download .pdf files of maps of each state in Mexico. If you will travel with a computer these maps can be very helpful. They only show main roads - not detailed city maps - but can be very useful for planning. They are road map size maps which you can zoom in on and move all around in your computer. They take a little practice - learning curve - but are among the best maps you will find - Guia Roji gets their book maps from these maps.

Here
. . . http://app.sct.gob.mx/sibuac_internet/ControllerUI?action=cmdEscogeRuta&eligeIdioma=si . . .
is another useful SCT website where you can calculate tolls on the cuotas - not 100% accurate but can help. The trick is to understand they may charge you as either one vehicle with multiple axles or two vehicles so calculating can be tricky. We have a motorhome towing a car so we are not as familiar with how they charge for trailer types. Someone else can provide more details.

Here
. . . http://www.ontheroadin.com/ . . .
is a website that can be very helpful in route planning. They know all the ins and outs. We have bought most of their road logs and though we have been roaming around Mexico for over 10 years we still use these logs - they are worth the price - print them out and make up a ring binder to follow along. Lots of other stuff showing RV parks etc.

Here
. . . http://www.rollinghomes.com/ . . .
you will find a book referred to as the Church Book or the Bible for travel in Mexico. The book has not be re-issued for several years so is somewhat out of date. But their website has updates that provide new information not found in their book. A most valuable resource.

Here
. . . http://ioverlander.com/ . . .
is another useful website for trip planning - which can be useful when used along with others mentioned above.

That should help get you started on planning.

Oh - our Gov'ts have been posting warnings about travel in Mexico for as long as I can remember - don't go you will be killed type stuff - the warnings should be heeded to some extent - as they should everywhere and anywhere you travel - but most of the crime in Mexico has to do with the drug wars with cartels killing each other over trade routes etc. This rarely has to do with tourists or travelers. Crime happens in all countries. Crime can happen anywhere you go. In all our years of travel in Mexico we have never experienced crime of any kind. We have never been hassled by police either. Not to say bad things will never happen but the odds are you will not have problems.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Reynosa can be avoided completely by crossing at the Anzalduas bridge and then going to Monterrey, Saltillo, Matamoros, San Miguel de Allende and on to Guadalajara.

navegator

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I also sent you a PM if you are are looking for a caravan to get your there, I am wagon master on one crossing Jan 11th, but from Az. They will do a one way to Chapala. That trip going the whole way crosses back at Laredo. The NE is less safe than the Nogales crossing, especially for a newbie, and getting a 5th wheel around Guadalajara if you are not familiar with that area can be a challenge. Another alternative is to see if you can tag onto Pierre Blais caravan (amigos Rodantes)for 2 days, which is predominantly French, but he crosses in east Texas(Hidalgo). He can get you close and at least across the border. He crosses on jan 7 and if he follows the usual pattern ends up within striking distance of Chapala. I may also be presenting seminars at the RV show in Toronto in mid October if timing is correct, and you can get a lot of info on driving in Mexico from me. The only route I would probably consider from the east is the columbia crossing at Laredo. if you have read the other thread you will see the problems with some Texas crossings and 3/4 & 1 ton pickups, but we hope to get that resolved by January. If this is your first trip, you may want to find others to travel with or use a commercial caravan. That partially depends on if you want to see some stuff like Copper Canyon and some colonial cities enroute or you just want to get there ASAP. You never said why you want to go to Chapala. There is no RV park there, the closest is Roca Azul & Villa Corona.

The other factor is your truck. Is it a post mid 2007 deisel? If so ULSD is still not availble in Mexio and you may want to take the shortest, most direct route in that case, which means Columbia. Just be aware that that route takes you through a lot more remote countryside & boring, so plan your stop well. It's a 2 day trip.

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
bcr, you will enjoy Mexico. For yourslves, it looks like you would enjoy one or more travel companions. Driving into Mexico would be a bit of a challenge, but nothing you could not do alone. But just to allay reasonable negative thoughts you have lots of time to find travel companion(s). Put the word out about your particular dates and destinations, right here, and you should reel in something concrete. Caravans? maybe not your cup of tea, they want you to stay with them there and back, but you want to stay in one place for a considerable duration, so not sure if any caravan might deviate. If one will, maybe they will message you. Otherwise, looking for like-minded travelers going your way, and in your time, should be your best bet. This period until late August is the off-season for using this forum, so it may take a while. Keep at it, and good luck.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Check Your PM !
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
If you look at real statistics, the border is actually safer than most of the areas that rvers spend their winters in. There is one exception. The area between Matamoros and Ciudad Victoria.

Nuevo Laredo, Ciudad Juarez, Reynosa (yes Reynosa), Monterrey and all points south are much safer.

Statistics from 2014, I'm sure I could up date them
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

caberto
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't been through that North Eastern part of Mexico, and don't have recent information, but I think I would stay away from it and go further west to Nogales then go down the western side of Mexico to Chapala. I know that would add quite a bit of travel to your trip, but may be something to consider.

I would try searching google for recent safety information both from official sites and personal reviews for cities along the border states, and make a more informed decision.

Our family is from Chapala, and we used to travel that route from Nogales every year, but that was a long time ago, so I don't really know how it is now. I wish I could do a trip like that - sure am looking forward to retirement! Good luck and have a blast!
2010 Keystone Cougar 324RLB
2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison 4x4 Crew Cab S/B
www.imagesbyberto.com