cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Seattle to Phoenix in December - routes in CA

erstanfo
Explorer
Explorer
I have just retired. 1st big trip is the Christmas holidays.
I'm heading down to Fort Worth Tx.

I know in the winter it is best to do I5 to California then turn left vs. Idaho, Colorado, NM TX to avoid winter storms.

My question is in California do I stay on I5 or leave at Sacramento and go down 95 to Bakersfield... to I10

Or Stay on I5 to LA and pick up I10 there?

Thanks,
Ed, Sharon & Doolin the standard poodle
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
16 REPLIES 16

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another reminder to watch the upcoming weather. Snow can temporarily close passes. And wind can make travel undesirable. We prefer 99 thru the Central Valley. If I'm in a very rare hurry we stay in Redding (from which one can time going into Oregon) usually going/coming from 7 Feathers. Bakersfield has a couple of nice parks and is a good place to keep an eye out for snow in Tehachapi or winds thru the Mojave deserts, which typically increase throughout the day. 60mph has never been a problem for me unless it is a high risk area such as the curves coming into Redding from the north. Just take a cue from the speed the majority of the trucks are driving. I drive 60-62 no matter what state I'm in, because I am always in the state of retirement.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just remember you still aren't safe from snow even in California. But the passes you'll have to cross on either 58 or 5 are a lot lower than most and only get snow on the road in the coldest of winter storms. And if they do get snow, it doesn't take Caltrans long to clear it. Both of those passes usually close pretty easy with snow, because most people using them aren't carrying chains.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

revump
Explorer
Explorer
101 if you want to take your time - to I5 to I10
Bob

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
There isn't a road that I haven't taken going south. I've done everyone of them a few times and if I was in a rush, Id do the I5 to Sacramento and then the 99, only because it is slightly less boring that the 5 My favorite way is to take 101 to Hwy 20 and then cross over to I5 and I 80 over the mountains to Reno and then south on 95 thru Nevada. Which ever way to go, buy some chains just in case.

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
99 58.... Bakersfield every time !! I have driven both many, many times and there have been times where I 5 I 210 I10 was ok but there has been times it was bumper to bumper backed up for miles plus it's always packed with traffic unless it's 3:00 am to 6:00 am. It only takes one little wreck there to cause a huge parking lot. Been there done that !!

Heck, I even started taking 58 to Barstow then I40 to AZ 93 east of Kingman to 60 to PHX and miss the whole mess. Any where close to LA or within 75 miles of it is like the weather, it can change to real bad, real fast.

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
If weather is bad you can get over to 101 and take it all the way to I-10. Dick

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Watch the weather, I-5 between Portland, and Reading can be as nasty as any highway.

Our Favorite way is i-5 south to I-84, to 395 south to Reno, -> direct Las Vegas.-> Kingman -> Phoenix I-10 east. You can use I-40 or I-10 east, but 40 is a newer highway = Smoother. but remember Flagstaff is 7000' up winter comes early that high.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I received a ticket for 64 on the I-210 near Pasadena. Traffic was light and I was following a semi truck in the middle lane. Was told towing limit was 55 and anyone towing must be in the right lane unless its closed. I and the semi had to move over to middle because of slow traffic backed up from an off ramp. Also received warning on 101 south of Santa Barbara for 62.

I have driven both mentioned routes numerous times and prefer I-5, 46, 99, 58, 395, I-15, I-215, 10. Bypasses L.A. traffic and for us a more enjoyable drive.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
They must not like my Wa state plates, guess How I know ? $350 bucks 8 miles over. Newmar pulling the jeep. Mount Shasta

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
I do the Bakersfield, Mohave, Indio thing.

Becareful of the stupid 55MPH limit in Ca.

With my Valentine Radar always on, I drive between 63-64 mph all day long and have not received any speeding tickets. ๐Ÿ™‚ Just watch your mirror if you catch yourself passing 4 and 5 trucks at a time.

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for 58 out of Bakersfield. Note I5 south of Sacramento is not the smoothest stretch of highway.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
Don't sweat the 55 MPH in Calif No one drives under 60 towing and cars pass us going 80+. I go I 5 to 10 to 210. I go thru LA only on the weekends around 11 AM to 1 PM. Seldom have a problem in over 15 years and 3 times a year going back and forth
samsontdog:o:W

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
You left off the US93 Nevada option. There's another ongoing thread about that option. Many prefer that over the California route, even in winter.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I do the Bakersfield, Mohave, Indio thing.

Becareful of the stupid 55MPH limit in Ca.