cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short day trip drives Heber City Utah

BigLarShreve
Explorer
Explorer
Staying at Heber city Utah for only a couple of days in May. Any suggestions for scenic drives in the area that we shouldn't miss? Never been in the area and want to make the most of our short time. Rv park is Mountain Valley. Thanks for any suggestions.
9 REPLIES 9

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
This is really beautiful area. If you like to golf, I highly recommend the Wasatch Mountain State Park golf course in Midway (nearby). You can also drive from that state park over the top to Deer Valley ski resort and down into Park City.

Drive up to Cascade Springs too, that is on the Alpine Loop but you can access it from Soldier Hollow (Midway). Or, drive to Cascade Springs and come out at Aspen Grove (just above Sundance Ski Resort). The drive from Midway->Cascade Springs->American Fork canyon is really pretty but you end up in Utah Valley and have to drive back up or around through Provo Canyon.

If you want an upscale dinner, the Grill Room at Sundance is nice and quiet. The Tree Room is even fancier/more expensive but not necessarily better food.

Depending on the time of year, there are some events in the area. There is a big cowboy poetry festival in Heber. Midway has Swiss Days in September. There used to be an air show but I think that hasn't happened for awhile. 4th of July and 24th of July has nice fireworks in the valley.

Fishing on the Provo River is supposed to be well known (near your campground too). There are several reservoirs in the area; Deer Creek, Jordanelle, Strawberry, etc.

There's mountain biking also... I see people ride Dutch Hollow but don't know much about it. You can rent ATVs in Midway and go up the trails near Snake Creek.

If you like hiking, the hike up to Wall Lake is cool. Elevation is really high and it is a little bit of a drive from Heber Valley.

You are near the Uintahs so there's a lot to do that direction.

Plus, Park City is only 20 minutes away from the campground. Park City has their famous downtown area, plus outlet shopping, the Olympic sports park (try bobsledding), zip line, alpine slide, etc.

You could go to Oakley and eat at the Road Island Diner (on the way to the Uintah area).
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

BigLarShreve
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to those who had suggestions. Appreciate your input! Looking forward to seeing Utah for the first time.

UtahBluegrass
Explorer
Explorer
Twomed wrote:
Heber Creeper steam train still running??

The Heber Creeper is still running though only with the enclosed cars.

I'll second the recommendation of Provo Canyon, Bridal Veil Falls, and the Alpine Loop. You can easily do this in a day. Go down Provo Canyon to Bridal Veil Falls. Then go back up a mile or so to the Alpine Loop which goes north just above Vivian Park. You'll pass Robert Redford's Sundance Resort. Pricey but good food. When you get to the top of the loop, there is a parking lot, restrooms, and a great overlook.

On the other side of the mountain, you'll go down American Fork Canyon. Lots of good picnic sites along the river though it still may be cool in May. Stop at Timpanogos Cave about half way down the canyon. The trail to the cave is a strenuous 1 1/2 mile hike with a gain of 1000 feet. Allow 3 hours going up, the cave tour, and coming back down. If that's too much, walk the nature trail across the street. It's an easy and very pretty walk.

You can stay on that road leaving the canyon all the way to the I-15 freeway. Go south on I-15 to 800 North exit which you can follow east back to Provo Canyon and up to Heber.

Do check to make sure the Alpine Loop is open. Usually opens May 15 but with the lack of snow this year, I suspect it will open earlier. Also, as 4runnerguy mentioned, only do this with a toad or tow vehicle. It gets a little twisty near the top.

Have fun.

Keith
2013 Evergreen Everlite 29RLW
2013 Ram Laramie diesel 4x4
Parties 10, Feeds 4, Sleeps 2

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Heber Creeper steam train still running??
Happy Trails 🙂
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
winter Olympics site / park city

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
The Alpine Loop (link), the Mt. Nebo Loop (link), and the Mirror Lake scenie byway (link) are all worth exploring. I wouldn't do the first two in an RV, but the Mirror Lake road is suitable for larger units with some care. Do a search on those roads for more info and pictures of what it looks like.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Scenic drive thru Provo Canyon (Hwy 189) with a stop off at Bridal Veil Falls......LINK

Heber Valley Railroad........LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BigLarShreve
Explorer
Explorer
We'll check into that. Appreciate that tip!

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Beehive Hotsprings, http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/locations/HomesteadCraterUT.html . Best hotspring we have ever been to. Nearby resort is worth the money, IMHO!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA