cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skyline Drive, VA

Navy_Smoker
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip down the Skyline Drive next week. I know that the national park is closed, but have they physically blocked the actual road? Id so, is there an alternative that will allow us to tour the area between Font Royal and Staunton, VA?

Thanks for your help,

Bill
Bill (CDR, USN (Ret))& Kathleen (retired homemaker)
Mingo & Maverick (Aussie Shepherds)
2016 Winnebago Vista
Competition BBQ Team Leader
3 REPLIES 3

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, BRP remains open to traffic for the time being. But it's just the roads, overlooks, views, and trails. No visitors' centers, CG's, CG stores, or restrooms. I don't know whether the rangers are still patrolling or not, or at what level. Fall colors are reported to be good a higher elevations in NC (don't know about VA).

We've got rain in the forecast for overnight and in the morning, clearing after that for the week with low 70's for in-town highs. Should be a _great_ week for a trip.

Jim, "Trying to understand the behavior of some politicians is like trying to smell the color nine."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

wetravelnow
Explorer
Explorer
You can use Rt. 340 south out of Front Royal until you get to Waynesboro. Then you can west to Staunton or go east up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and then south.

It is a nice scenic drive, the only problem area is going thru Luray for big rigs. Just follow the bypass route, which is west Lee Hwy, then after crossing the river make a left and south back on Rt. 340.

Rt. 340 runs in the valley below and on the west side Skyline Dr.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
A quick search on GOOGLE Newsplex.com says:
"Oct. 1, 2013

Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park in Virginia are closed because of the federal government shutdown.

You can't drive on the scenic road nor visit the park until the government resumes operations. The Blue Ridge Parkway is open, but just for traffic. There are no amenities available at this time.

Even the National Park Service website for the park has been shut down."

The BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY starts at AFTON MTN south...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS