cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So Cal to Glacier

fidhleir
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on heading to Glacier National Park next month. We would like to go by way of US-395, Eastern Sierras. Beyond that we're not sure but would like a scenic route. We're not in any particular hurry. Can anyone suggest a route with interesting stops for a day or 2 along the way? Pulling a 36' fifth wheel with an F250 diesel so climbs aren't a big concern but tight roads or steep descents could be (e.g. I-70 over the Rockies is not a problem but Teton Pass might be). Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
On Hwy 12 just before Missoula there is a hill - forgot about it. To us, it's not a biggie. It's Lolo Pass at 5235'EL. Heading east you'll have 5% downhill grade for 4 miles but ranges from 3% to 5% for the final mile. If you know how to use your truck braking you won't have an issue.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
fidhleir wrote:
Thanks! Do you pick up 12 in Walla Walla? How is 12 through the mountains to Missoula? Not too twisty for my rig? Looks like an great alternative to interstates.

It's a nice wide road. It does go up in elevation. I haven't done it yet with my 42 ft toyhauler, but will someday (hopefully soon).
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 12 from Lewiston, Idaho (Hells Gate State Park is very nice with huge trees along the river and is good for big rigs) to Missoula, MT is a lovely ride along the river. Rivers are curvy so this highway is also. It's mostly flat though. Being flat, bicyclists like it, too. Just be aware. Driving it mid-week is a lot better than weekends. From Missoula take 93 north to Columbia Falls, MT then east to Glacier. We've driven this with our 40' motorhome towing the Jeep.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

fidhleir
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! Do you pick up 12 in Walla Walla? How is 12 through the mountains to Missoula? Not too twisty for my rig? Looks like an great alternative to interstates.

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Take 395 all the way to Pendleton, Oregon. Northern 395 in Oregon is hilly, but beautiful, except where the old forest fires toasted everything. From Pendleton, go east to Missolla, MT on 12. 12 is beautiful.
Orofino, ID has a nice RV park. HERE Clearwater Crossing RV Park

John Day, Oregon is an interesting town too. Gold was the reason the area boomed back in the day. The fair grounds has an RV Park. Prairie City, Oregon also has a nice city RV Park.

Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.