cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

St. Louis, MO route

shadoow
Explorer
Explorer
We will be towing our 5th wheel on a trip to In. later this year. The route i'm looking at will bring me into St. Louis on I44 then thru St. Louis via I55. Seems like the shortest way thru this area. Just wondering if this route should be OK for me or should we take an alternate? If so, what's the recommendation?
9 REPLIES 9

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We always take I-270/I-255 bypass around St Louis. Much easier than going thru downtown with all the construction and heavy traffic.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I-40 thru Memphis and I-70 thru St. Louis are signed for the locals, but both cities are on borders between two states, and they apparently don't talk to each other. I got so lost in St. Louis headed east on I-70 (instead of going around on I-270) on a Sunday that I thought I was going to run out of gas. It was during the World Series playoffs and I wound up driving by Busch Stadium just before a Sunday double header. Even though I planned on an overnight somewhere in Illinois, by the time I found I-70 again, I kept right on driving until I got home to Cincinnati.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

shadoow
Explorer
Explorer
thanks all for the info. The lane change info is good to know. I hate lane change surprises when towing.

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Wadcutter wrote:
As you are coming in eastbound on I-44 when you get to I-270 take I-270 south to I-255. Then you can take I-255 across the state line into IL and catch I-55 at Exit 11. If you want to catch I-64 towards southern Indiana then the I-64 exit is 15 miles after crossing into IL. If you want to take I-70 to Indiana then you can catch it about 10 miles after getting back on I-55.
You'll avoid a lot of traffic and congested exits in St Louis and Metro East area. Depending on the time of day I-255 is almost deserted. The only tricky exit will be when getting back on I-55 which signs toward Chicago. After taking the exit off I-255 and you're on I-55 you'll need to get over 2 lanes to your left. The first lane on the right soon exits off I-55 into Collinsville. If traffic is heavy on I-55 don't hesitate to make the move 2 lanes.

X2... unless you are actually wanting to drive through the downtown area, which 44/55 won't put you directly downtown but will skirt it. Lots more traffic on 44/55 and the near 90* 25 mph turn to cross the Poplar Street Bridge downtown really backs up traffic sometimes.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
As you are coming in eastbound on I-44 when you get to I-270 take I-270 south to I-255. Then you can take I-255 across the state line into IL and catch I-55 at Exit 11. If you want to catch I-64 towards southern Indiana then the I-64 exit is 15 miles after crossing into IL. If you want to take I-70 to Indiana then you can catch it about 10 miles after getting back on I-55.
You'll avoid a lot of traffic and congested exits in St Louis and Metro East area. Depending on the time of day I-255 is almost deserted. The only tricky exit will be when getting back on I-55 which signs toward Chicago. After taking the exit off I-255 and you're on I-55 you'll need to get over 2 lanes to your left. The first lane on the right soon exits off I-55 into Collinsville. If traffic is heavy on I-55 don't hesitate to make the move 2 lanes.
Camped in every state

mpfireman
Explorer
Explorer
As stated, WATCH the signage as you do not want to be in the wrong lane to I 55 off I 44.. A point to remember, when you get into the Chicago metro area, you might encounter toll roads. It all depends upon your destination and routs.
1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

cbwallace
Explorer
Explorer
Additional thought, coming from I44 onto I55 can get backed up as it is a tight onramp which slows traffic. Watch the signs and stay in the right lane as you approach downtown.
Chris, Barb, two girls, a Yellow Lab and a Sammoyed
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4X4
B&W Turnover Ball w/Anderson Ultimate Hitch
2019 Grand Design Reflection 31MB
2007 Crownline 252 EX
Kayaks, Quads, Bikes and anything else we can drag along!

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Better run through there than Atlanta or Nashville. Just stay away from East St. Louis. High crime area that you do not want to exit into.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

cbwallace
Explorer
Explorer
You will be fine, I have taken this route with our TT more than once without issue. At times traffic can be heavy but still manageable.
Chris, Barb, two girls, a Yellow Lab and a Sammoyed
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4X4
B&W Turnover Ball w/Anderson Ultimate Hitch
2019 Grand Design Reflection 31MB
2007 Crownline 252 EX
Kayaks, Quads, Bikes and anything else we can drag along!