cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State College PA to Watkins Glen NY

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Travelling up 99 through State College, PA. After we get on 80-East, how is the rest of the Route? Good roads? Steep hills?

80E - 220N

15 N - Corning, NY

86E - to Corning NY

NY 414 to Watkins Glen

Thank you!
10 REPLIES 10

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
We Cant Wait wrote:
Check gas price on Gas Buddy. Anymore since Pa raised the tax by 10 cents a gl. in some cases Pa is now higher then NY, I live right on the NY/PA border.

I also check gasbuddy.com and was very surprised to see PA gas higher than NY. PA huge increase in fuel taxes is the reason as you stated.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
If you get to the Glen through Horseheads (Rt 14 instead of 414), the grade isn't bad. We did the KOA the first time and enjoyed it. If you can get a site in the back, they're much nicer.

Last time we came up through Horseheads and stayed at Klute. The sites are a little closer, but it's on the lake and next to a Walmart. Also within walking distance of downtown.

Montage Italian Restaurant over looking the lake on Rt 14 is very good and a great view.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the Rt 6 gas stop and gas buddy.

So many stations you cannot get a 30' TT in and out of. Wish they would put the pumps Parallel to the Store.

I try and do my homework on the Stations before the trip so we are not stressed out trying to figure out if we can get in and out.

Any good restaurants in Watkins Glen area? Thanks for all the tips!

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
Check gas price on Gas Buddy. Anymore since Pa raised the tax by 10 cents a gl. in some cases Pa is now higher then NY, I live right on the NY/PA border.

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Rt. 15 (I-99 corridor) from Williamsport north to the NY line is a nice drive. It's a far cry from the Rt. 15 of the 1970's, much of which was washed out by the flooding from Hurricane Agnes in 1972. The current roadway is up out of the valley and affords nice views of PA's northern tier. You'll come to see why the area is sometimes referred to as "Endless Mountains."

Easy off & easy on for gas at Mansfield, at the interchange for Rt. 6, before you get to Lawrenceville. Enjoy & safe travels

There's a Scheetz convenience store/gas station just to the left when you get to the bottom of the exit ramp off of Rt. 15. Plenty of room to get in and out.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Staying at the KOA. Looks like the steep grade into Watkins Glen starts after the KOA so we miss going down that.

I used to get on findfuelstops.com and see the aerial views of gas stations to write down the best ones to get in and out of...but their maps not showing up. Anybody have a better website?

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you camping in Watkins Glen?

We stayed in WG State Park, early June. Sites were a little on the small side an some were anything but level.

If you want more info Sen a PM

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies and tip on filling up the gas:)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I took that route with our 96 Southwind a few years ago. No problems.

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
I've driven this exact route 4 times with in the last 5 years in my motorhome. This is a great route.

15N is almost all new 4 lane. It's amazing how they built this highway with very few grades in this hilly area.

Fill you gas tank before leaving PA. Gas is much higher in NY. I filled in Lawrenceville, PA. about 1/2 from the PA/NY state line.

Almost forgot. There is a large downgrade going in to Watkins Glen with caution signs. I had no problem going down the hill but I was cautious and drove slow. Also I think there was a bridge with a weight limit on 414 but I was close to the limit and ignored it.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L