cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Summer 2017 Trip Planning (Utah, Wyoming, Montana, S Dakota)

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
-----------------------------------------------------
EDIT 12-27-2016: I'm reviving this thread to continue my 2017 planning, so please jump to my new questions on Page 3: Clicky
-----------------------------------------------------

I'm looking ahead to our 2017 Summer Trip, and considering a loop through Utah, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, and even a small touch into Colorado.

Something like this:

1. Yellowstone
2. Big Sky, MT
3. Red Lodge (Bear Tooth Hwy / Chief Joseph Hwy)
4. Rapid City, SD
- Mt. Rushmore
- Minuteman Missle Silo
- Badlands NP
5. Devil's Tower
6. Flaming Gorge
7. Dinosaur National Monument
8. Zion - Hiking the Narrows

I'm still early in the planning, but have a few questions I'd like to throw out to the community.

1. Anything spectacular that I've overlooked on this loop?
2. Any good Jeep trails along this loop?
3. Looking for suggestions around Flaming Gorge - not that familiar with the area
4. Where to camp near Dinosaur, CO. The one park in town looks pretty rundown.
5. Which route from Dinosaur, CO to Zion NP?
- Option 1 - Through Rangely, then 139 South to Grand Junction, and I-70 West, I-15 South:
-

- Option 2 - Backtrack to Vernal & Provo, then South on I-15:
-

Happy to hear your thoughts on my questions, and any other suggestions.

Thanks!
2003 Country Coach Intrigue, Cummins ISL 400
Toad: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) toad, with just a few mods...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...
27 REPLIES 27

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bill, and thanks TyroneandGladys. I will play with all of these suggestions on the map and see what I come up with.

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO I would add 17 miles to the trip and change your order slightly. Red Lodge to Devils Tower to Rapid City to Flaming Gorge.
We stayed in Deadwood SD at Whistlers Gulch after leaving Devils Tower and when we left Deadwood we visited Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse and The Mammoth Site in Hot Springs. Highly recommend adding the The Mammoth Site to your stops. Then spent the night at a very nice RV Park in Lusk WY called BJ's Campground. Did all three and the drive of 135 miles was in one day
We went from Lusk to Estes Park then to a fantastic park Rifle Falls State Park NOT Rifle State Park but Rifle Falls, and then The Black Canyon of The Gunnison. Was not impressed with Estes Park but the others WOW.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
MPond wrote:
I'm reviving this thread, as I'm finally back to planning our 2017 summer trip.

From what I've read over the last few months, I'm not jazzed about the areas I'm finding around Flaming Gorge & Dinosaur, and wondering if I'd be happier heading back toward Colorado and hitting some of our favorites instead. But I could be convinced either way - that's why I'm here looking for ideas and opinions.

Cody to Wind River Canyon - Flaming Gorge is big water and High Banks on one end and wide open spaces on the other - Dino NM, Green River and Bones in the Ground ...... the kids will never forget - Craig and Steamboat will offer you a lot of the wild spaces you love in the San Juan's Check into Yampa SP - Steamboat Lake SP - Stagecoach SP then on down to Buena Vista via Rt 91 and Leadville - Collegiates - Great Sand Dune NP - Pagosa Springs.................

Sorry just no wrong choices, just keep heading down the road and all these places will surprise you.

Hope all the/your projects have gone well - thought you might be at the Show in Vegas next week.

I'll enjoy following your next adventure.

Matt - Happy New Year and safe Travels in 2017,

Bill
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
I'm reviving this thread, as I'm finally back to planning our 2017 summer trip.

As it stands, I'm currently struggling with the 2nd-half of the loop - whether to head South-west from Devil's Tower through Wyoming, or straight South toward Denver, then West through Colorado:

From what I've read over the last few months, I'm not jazzed about the areas I'm finding around Flaming Gorge & Dinosaur, and wondering if I'd be happier heading back toward Colorado and hitting some of our favorites instead. But I could be convinced either way - that's why I'm here looking for ideas and opinions.

keepingthelight
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed our stay at Rafter J in Hill City, SD. Here are a few recommendations for your kids.

http://www.reptilegardens.com/

http://www.presidentialwaxmuseum.com/

https://www.nps.gov/Wica/index.htm

http://www.bearcountryusa.com/

Enjoy!;)
05 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QDH w/4 slides
CAT C7 350+ HP MP-8, Aero Muffler, AFE Filter
06 HHR LT Toad
Ready Brute Elite

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
Man - you guys are great! I've been swamped with work, so haven't had time to catch up on the new comments.

I'll have to sit down this weekend and go through all of them and adjust my plans, and then I'll come back and update here with more questions.

Keep 'em coming!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
For Dinosaur Nat'l Monument we stayed at Green River c.g. in the park with our 40' motorhome. It was very nice and it had some long sites. As I recall some of the pull-thrus have a curve and a big rig would have to back into it from one end. You couldn't pull thru.

They do accept reservations. We were there in Sept. and plenty of open sites.

Dinosaur Nat'l Monument Campgrounds

Flaming Gorge was just a few days stop as we weren't going to fish there. We stayed at Firefighter's campground in the park. Dry camping. Again, in Sept. there were plenty of open sites. It's a pretty campground right on 191 overlooking the lake.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Matt,

1. Anything spectacular that I've overlooked on this loop?

Because Iโ€™ve followed you before Iโ€™ll concentrate on a few Locations and the 4X4 trails โ€“ Just do a search on Black Hills โ€“ and Wyoming (4X4) and I think you will find a number of the sorts of adventure you enjoy. Spectacular is Personal, so Wind River Canyon between Thermopolis (Soak in the hot springs) and Shoshoni is one of my personal wonders of the world โ€“ short story โ€“ first cross country trip with my wife in the early 70โ€™s we drove this route and had picked up a lone hitch hiker (first and last) just outside of Thermopolis and delivered him to Shoshoni โ€“ he had been smoking and exhaled in the cab when he got in (think it might have been the Colorado State Weed!) that night when we stopped I had this dream about the river flowing UP HILL (Wind River) and the dream continued over 35 years, till I returned , just by chance and drove the road โ€“ heading South โ€“ the river is heading North โ€“ and it feels like you are going downhill and the river is flowing Uphill! Crazy I know but in my mindโ€™s eye I finally solved the mystery of the dream that I had had for 35 years of water flowing uphill. So the suggestion is to see if you could get that in your route.

Thatโ€™s the story and the thing is it is a beautiful drive and there is a Camp Ground right on the river that is one of the few I remember over the last 40 years. (Never have gone anywhere to SEE a CG โ€“so I seldom remember any)

Next take the time to Do the Caves in and Around the Black Hills โ€“ Be sure to bring your own flash light so as to be able to see things and if you can buddy up to the Ranger the insight is well worth the effort. Good camera and really good flash is needed here.

2. Any good Jeep trails along this loop?

Yes โ€“ but you will need to reach out to the locals to get any maps โ€“ seems as if they are closely guarded.

3. Looking for suggestions around Flaming Gorge - not that familiar with the area.

We have found that we enjoy the West side of the Lake and suggest you look into the Marina CG and see if you can catch dinner. Then you will need to drive in from the South to get to the top of the Gorge to look down at the lake. Think there are also trails here โ€“ as it was hunting season last couple times we were there and the hunters were everywhere, so we needed to feel a little safer and stayed close to the hard roads.

4. Where to camp near Dinosaur, CO. The one park in town looks pretty rundown. Think there is a no reservation CG in the Park right on the Green River โ€“ Beautiful but usually FULL. If you check with the rangers they may suggest other Boon docking Spots within the park.

5. Which route from Dinosaur, CO to Zion NP?

Utah 4X4 trails

Sorry but no way I could drive the Iโ€™s - 4X4 trails to die for โ€“ just some special places to walk or drive โ€“ just look at all the state parks along the route! Plus Rt 12 ! Rt 128 ! Rt 95 across Lake Powell !

IMHO I would skip Devils Tower and Badlands and Bump and Grind in Utah โ€“ try to find the elevation where it is cooler but still this is what you are towing that JEEP for.

As most who have followed your trips know you will pack more into the three weeks than anyone would even dream of. And the Kids will love it, but seriously save the Badlands and Devil's Tower for a drive by on a trip to the East. Have more Fun and enjoy the Wild areas while they are still Wild.

Will follow and enjoy,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
My suggestion is this - when you're done in the Mt. Rushmore/Black Hills area, take Rt. 16 west out of SD in to Newcastle, WY. From there use Rt. 85 north to Four Corners then Rt. 585 to Sundance and on to Devils Tower.

We made a point to get off the SuperSlab (interstate highways) as much as possible. This route is a nice drive with little traffic, and very scenic. Good place to eat in Sundance is the ARO Restaurant, if it is still there. Enjoy & safe travels.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
I am watching, we want to do the same trip. but from Sacramento.
sounds like a lot of fun
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
I would not forget Bryce Canyon. They say in Bryce you look down and Zion you look up.Bryce has many trail. Zion has Angles landing. Also Kodachrome State park near Bryce is great. You should do Arches NP. My favorite Utah Np was Arches. At Arches you camp in view of some arches. Zion and Bryce you need to take the shuttle. Also got to see Gobblin State park along with Dead Horse State park.
My new DRW and camper on the truck the first time.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Tail waters of the Flaming Gorge Reservoir on the Green River is a classic fly fishing waters fishery. Highly, highly recommend a guided float trip down that river where you will see some very large, and a lot of, trout. Beautiful area too!
I love me some land yachting

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Add Bryce to the list. And add the Zion tunnel on at least one leg. So much more enjoyable that boring I15. Read about the tunnel on the Zion website.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Subscribed! We leave soon for some of the same places. The SD leg of our trip is the most "unplanned". I'll come here for some tips.

Looks like you'll have another beautiful trip!
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!