cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syracuse to Lake Placid Route?

_Sea_Of_No_Care
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling from Syracuse to Lake Placid. Wondering which route would be best for RV of our size towing jeep. Would 81 north to Watertown then 3 to 86 to Lake Placid be accessable for us or should we be going 90 to 87 north and in that way? Looking for advice from people who have traveled the area. Thanks for opinions and recommendations.

Dave
Dave and Gail
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40 PDQ
400 h.p. Cummins, Roadmaster Chassis
2006 Jeep Wrangler TOAD
4 REPLIES 4

_Sea_Of_No_Care
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your helpful info and suggestions. We have reservations at North Pole Resort in Wilmington from tonight through the 1st. We have never been to the area before and are really looking forward to spending some time here, sightseeing as well as some hiking are definitely in the plans. Thanks again

Dave
Dave and Gail
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40 PDQ
400 h.p. Cummins, Roadmaster Chassis
2006 Jeep Wrangler TOAD

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Lake Placid for a week about 2 weeks ago. All the roads in the area were smooth, but some had not much shoulder. Wed and Sat at 1:00 is ski jumping. I highly recommend checking it out if you are there. The Olympic Passport is well worthwhile. I was impressed with the Olympic venues. At the Bobsled track they take you to the top and then you can walk down the 1 mile track, on the track. That was really cool.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your way is fine and some leaves are already changing. I intend to do that route in the next 3-4 days in my automobile as we summer in the Thousand Islands.
When are you taking the route?
If not for a week I will PM you when I return
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
School buses and snowplows take those routes, so do log trucks.

Sort of depends on where you are staying near Syracuse and in Lake Placid. There aren't a lot of choices for places to stay.

I'd suggest I90 to Utica then NY12 north to NY28 through Old Forge to NY30 to Tupper Lake to NY3 to Saranac Lake. This is the prettiest drive.

We towed it fine with a 5er.

I lived in that area. They paved and widened all those roads in 1979 for the 80 Olympics, and they seem to have kept them up pretty well.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW