cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Taking fifth wheel from central jersey to Disney world

salvatorejrm
Explorer
Explorer
I'm taking my fifth wheel to Disney world are there any roads I need to avoid because of bridges, tunnels etc. Planned on taking I95. Driving at night so traffic shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
JoeTampa wrote:
Roadpilot wrote:
Mapquest says it's 1 hour longer if you go 76 to 81 to 77 to 26 to 95, instead of 95 all the way. My experience is you can sit in traffic on 95 longer then that.

Absolutely true and that routing is more scenic and relaxing in my experience.

X2 I-95 through that part of the nation expecting to make good time is a gamble at best. 81 is a beautiful route and you will arrive much happier
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
The OP is probably long gone, but from where HE lives, his best bet would be I-195 west across Jersey to the NJTP or I-295 South, to the Del Mem Bridge, then US 301 south, across the bay to Annapolis, then 50/301 to the I-495 Beltway, then straight down to Orlando. Apart from the NJTP, only one toll the whole way, no hills to speak of, after the climb up the DMB.. ๐Ÿ™‚
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
JimFromJersey wrote:
Agreed with Mike T above - once south of Fredericksburg, VA, there's really no worries on I-95. Construction is at a minimum all the way into FL, I just did the trip down and then up again, around T'giving. I-95 is probably in the best shape it's been for many a year.

Scenery won't mean much if the OP drives at night, and besides, even during the day, the northeast is brown and grey now until about Easter.

I made it all the way from Port St Lucie to the Del Mem Bridge in just over 16 hours, and that was in the rain and fog from Santee north.

Unless there's an accident blocking lanes, you can go straight through Richmond in 5 minutes. No need for the bypass there.

Jax had a bit of construction going on in the NORTHBOUND lanes of I-95 in the southern half of town, but going south we buzzed right through it at noon on a Tuesday. Going home, I took the eastern (beachside) bypass to see the new bridge.

Georgia is three lanes in both directions for virtually the entire stretch.

Really, unless there's an accident (which can happen anywhere, even on I-81 or US 17) I-95 is fine. And realistically, with the new HOV lanes and all the construction between Washington and Baltimore now, even THAT stretch is far better than it used to be. 6 or 8 lanes in most places. If you haven't been on that part of I-95 for a few years, you'd be amazed at the improvement. Would I do it at 5PM on a Friday in the Summer? Probably not, but I wouldn't advise driving ANYWHERE on the east coast at 5pm on a Friday in the summer.

South of Richmond 95 is fine. I agree there have been some improvements however between NJ and Richmond there are still lots of pitfalls. I live in the Balto./Washington corridor and it is no cake walk.
Take 13 to the east and take the shore route or take 81 to the west. But avoid the mid Atlantic if possible.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
JimFromJersey wrote:
... Would I do it at 5PM on a Friday in the Summer? Probably not, but I wouldn't advise driving ANYWHERE on the east coast at 5pm on a Friday in the summer.

lol, you are very correct on that!

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed with Mike T above - once south of Fredericksburg, VA, there's really no worries on I-95. Construction is at a minimum all the way into FL, I just did the trip down and then up again, around T'giving. I-95 is probably in the best shape it's been for many a year.

Scenery won't mean much if the OP drives at night, and besides, even during the day, the northeast is brown and grey now until about Easter.

I made it all the way from Port St Lucie to the Del Mem Bridge in just over 16 hours, and that was in the rain and fog from Santee north.

Unless there's an accident blocking lanes, you can go straight through Richmond in 5 minutes. No need for the bypass there.

Jax had a bit of construction going on in the NORTHBOUND lanes of I-95 in the southern half of town, but going south we buzzed right through it at noon on a Tuesday. Going home, I took the eastern (beachside) bypass to see the new bridge.

Georgia is three lanes in both directions for virtually the entire stretch.

Really, unless there's an accident (which can happen anywhere, even on I-81 or US 17) I-95 is fine. And realistically, with the new HOV lanes and all the construction between Washington and Baltimore now, even THAT stretch is far better than it used to be. 6 or 8 lanes in most places. If you haven't been on that part of I-95 for a few years, you'd be amazed at the improvement. Would I do it at 5PM on a Friday in the Summer? Probably not, but I wouldn't advise driving ANYWHERE on the east coast at 5pm on a Friday in the summer.
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

jergeod
Explorer
Explorer
81 to 66 in Winchester Va to 17 to 95 in Fredericksburg Va you miss all the mess and also don't have to deal with the hills on 77.
George & Jerri
USMC VET
Jayco Eagle 339 flqs
upstate NY

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
Roadpilot wrote:
Mapquest says it's 1 hour longer if you go 76 to 81 to 77 to 26 to 95, instead of 95 all the way. My experience is you can sit in traffic on 95 longer then that.

this is my route of choice....a pleasant ride most of the time.....95 has tunnels in Baltimore..have to go around
also, I do go straight thru on 95 in Richmond,Va.....somewhat shorter and really not a bad ride at all...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

Mike_Taverniti
Explorer
Explorer
Once you clear Baltimore and Washington, it's clear sailing. Take 295 around Richmond, stay on 95 thru Jacksonville, just pay attention to signs so you are in the correct lane. Enjoy.

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
Roadpilot wrote:

Absolutely true and that routing is more scenic and relaxing in my experience.
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Night time driving is not the cure all. Yes traffic maybe reduced. However if it rains or there is bad weather driving at night only complicates things.
Also if you have a breakdown,simple flat or other failure night time conditions only make things worse.
There are a few pros to driving at night but many cons.
I prefer to avoid rush hours in major cities while maximising daylight driving hours.
From NJ consider going down the coast through the Del Mar Va shore
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
You can get on all of the state's Department of Transportation (or equivalent) website for up to the minute construction reports that list the current construction zones.

I-95 can be either a really nice, comfortable drive or a complete nightmare. It all depends on who else is traveling and how good of a driver they are....traffic can be a nightmare.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Look around these forums, lots of threads about routes (I started a couple of them!).

When are you planning on leaving? Do you have an idea for a route, it might be good to post that to find more specific ideas.

Remember that night travel is fine... except for construction! About a week or so before you leave, post here again asking for anyone's experience who may have traveled your planned route recently.

Have fun!

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Baltimore Harbor and Fort McHenry tunnels prohibit propane in cylinders greater than 10 lbs.