cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Texas Highway 17

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning a stop at Davis Mountain State Park between our stays at Big Bend and Carlsbad. My software is routing me along Texas Highway 17 twixt the two. Is that road OK for our little 31' Class A gasser pulling our toad? Thanks a lot,

Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1
7 REPLIES 7

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
Be happy you didn't take us 90. There are 25 miles of road construction between Marfa and Van Horn
I need some wild

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone. We took TX-17 and it was, as stated here, just fine.

RoyB wrote:
...We use GOOGLE MAPS all the the time when traveling in different places we are not familiar with...

...Roy Ken

Roy -- thanks for taking the time to do that. I also use Google maps quite often when traveling and agree it can be very useful. What I haven't had much luck with, though, is using Google maps to assess grades, road conditions, and current conditions (such as road construction). Still, though, it's a great tool.

PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
TX-17 from I-10 to Fort Davis is a fine route for towing/ RVs.

Just some minor grades, though going up to Fort Davis is a change of almost 1,800 foot in elevation (3,196 Balmorhea - 5,000 Ft Davis) so it is almost all uphill.

TX-17 from Pecos to Balmorhea is like a pool table. Flat, flat, flat. Was in very good shape a couple years ago.

US-285 from Carlsbad to Pecos is one of the ten worst roads in the United States at this time in my opinion. Especially the NM section. The road has been beat to death by the overloaded oil-field truck traffic over the past few years.

If there is any oil-field work still ongoing, the truckers have no respect or allowances for RV traffic.

If I had the time, I'd take US-180/ TX-54/ US-90/ TX-17 to get to Fort Davis. Even if it is almost 40 miles longer.

TX-118 from Fort Davis to Kent (I-10) is not an RV friendly road.

Boy are you right about US-285! The section through Texas was a bone-jarring nightmare of broken pavement and potholes, accompanied by a never ending stream of high-speed (probably overweight) oil and gas industry trucks. As it turns out, the section through New Mexico was fine, though. All put a couple miles have been repaved and, at least until the trucks destroy it again, it's fine.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone,
Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
In TX most all 2 lane roads are good !!

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
I've only made the run on TX-17 from Fort Davis to Balmorhea on I-10. As others have said, it is a fine two lane road. I would not hesitate to use it. As a matter of fact, the picture on my signature was taken on TX-17. Have a safe drive.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
TX-17 from I-10 to Fort Davis is a fine route for towing/ RVs.

Just some minor grades, though going up to Fort Davis is a change of almost 1,800 foot in elevation (3,196 Balmorhea - 5,000 Ft Davis) so it is almost all uphill.

TX-17 from Pecos to Balmorhea is like a pool table. Flat, flat, flat. Was in very good shape a couple years ago.

US-285 from Carlsbad to Pecos is one of the ten worst roads in the United States at this time in my opinion. Especially the NM section. The road has been beat to death by the overloaded oil-field truck traffic over the past few years.

If there is any oil-field work still ongoing, the truckers have no respect or allowances for RV traffic.

If I had the time, I'd take US-180/ TX-54/ US-90/ TX-17 to get to Fort Davis. Even if it is almost 40 miles longer.

TX-118 from Fort Davis to Kent (I-10) is not an RV friendly road.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
we have not used 17 for a few years, so cannot say what condition the pavement is due to lots of oil and gas stuff going on out that way...but the road itself is just a typical, good, two lane TX highway, no big hills to climb, etc.
hopefully, someone who has used this road lately will let us know about the road surface condition. ๐Ÿ™‚
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
SKIP - I just did a search on GOOGLE for TEXAS HIGHWAY 17 and opened up their road map in SATELITTE VIEW.

I walked the TEXAS 17 road from MARFA to Intersate 10 and did not see anything that stood out. Looks like a well maintained Texas road. Sat View captured cars, trucks, and long trucks using the two lane road.. Only a few small curves shown.. Road has good pull off on both sides for the whole distance.. Lots of eating places in the one or two towns along the way. Gas stations as well...

We use GOOGLE MAPS all the the time when traveling in different places we are not familiar with...

Only took about 5 minutes to zoom down to a good close up view of the road and walk it from MARFA to I10...

Since there is few trees along the way you can get a great view showing other pull outs and parking areas etc...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS