cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Roll Call Alaska thread

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
The Roll Call Alaska thread when it gets as big as it is now becomes unwieldy and impossible to search with the rather useless search engine this site maintains.

So a suggestion: Why not divide up the Roll Call by MONTH of travel.

Have one for each month starting in MAY and ending in August or September. This would have several advantages the biggest being that it would be far easier to pinpoint someone traveling when you might be.

Additionally it would make it more timely and relevant to say nothing of far easier to use. By July who wants to wade through a hundred posts of those going in June? They're GONE.

These large threads are just to hard to wade through and I think folks just give up on them after a while.
5 REPLIES 5

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBacker wrote:
I can appreciate what you are saying.

Several years back we had so many different threads going on when members were planning their travels to Alaska and on who else was going during the same timeframe. It was very difficult for members to collect the info and consolidate it. Most members travel over several weeks or months and often their schedules are very fluid.

It was members who determined that if they had one place to go, they could scan through that one thread instead of trying to scan through multiple threads.

Nothing is fixed in stone as long as whatever members want is within the forum rules.

... Eric (Moderator)

Yeah there are definitely upsides to both ways of doing it for sure and also the downside. LOL getting a consensus would be the tricky part for sure!

Thanks Eric

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I can appreciate what you are saying.

Several years back we had so many different threads going on when members were planning their travels to Alaska and on who else was going during the same timeframe. It was very difficult for members to collect the info and consolidate it. Most members travel over several weeks or months and often their schedules are very fluid.

It was members who determined that if they had one place to go, they could scan through that one thread instead of trying to scan through multiple threads.

Nothing is fixed in stone as long as whatever members want is within the forum rules.

... Eric (Moderator)

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
That is too bad. The impulse to keep the status Quo is always strong. Change can be positive and may reveal a different consensus.

In fact they would not be multiple posts as by definition they would be for different months. Thus different topics. But I take your point.

If peoples plans change as they do they could just post in a new month thus keeping things easier to understand and track if you wanted to meet up with them. You wouldnt have to read 200 posts to see if they left a message.

But that's ok, despite making TWO trips to Alaska this year I have never consulted this thread as I suspect many others do not precisely for the reasons I stated in my OP.

You never know what your missing unless you try something new.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
This has been discussed in the past. What
2gypsies wrote pretty much sums up what the consensus was.
The 'yearly' travel to Alaska threads are started by members and has been done form several years now at the request of our members. It does not preclude anyone from starting their own thread on covering their travels for members to share.

Multiple threads on the same topic at the same time is not permitted on the forums.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
That would get equally or even more confusing. Only one is needed.

I don't think the post is meant only for saying 'exactly' when you're going. It's meant for information. The good information is stated all through the one post. Breaking it up will do absolutely nothing. Questions would be asked over and over again (more so than now).

Things change along a trip. Folks might stay at a place longer or shorter. There's no difinites where they'd be in July.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel