cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To tow or not to tow?

daveshoby
Explorer
Explorer
We will be leaving our home in Florida late April and will leasurily cross the country and enter Canada early June. We will be in AK until mid August and start the return trip home with plans to be back in Florida in November. We will be towing while in the lower 48 but are wondering about towing for the AK portion of the trip. Friends have been there 3 times and didn't tow and see no need for a tow. Their experience was that everywhere you go is more than a day trip so you need the RV anyway. Parking at the destination was never a problem. Opinions? Thanks, Dave
9 REPLIES 9

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Cut and paste from a similar post:

"
Some thoughts from Alaska and an Alaskan: - Disclaimer is that other than renting a Class C once and a Class A once, my camping in AK is either truck, plane, or backpack camping; I have driven most roads in the state; - As noted in previous posts, many folks will say that a toad is not needed unless you go out in the boonies: this is factually true. - I would offer that if your style is to stay several days at one spot, a toad would be very beneficial, even if not in the boonies: Staying at Matanuska Glacier and want to run up to Eureka to see how the locals drink? Toad is much more convenient. Want to run in to McCarthy/Kennicott ("run" is a stretch) from Chitina? Toad is much more convenient. - REcognizing that most RV'rs stay away from Anchorage (and I could understand that), still, if you're spending time at a spot (ER State Park for 14 days, perhaps?) where you'll want to see Anchorage, a toad is helpful. FWIW, if I'm going "downtown", I'll leave my pickup parked and take the Jeep Wrangler - Ditto even some of the smaller towns (Talkeetna, Homer, Palmer, etc): Very little that can't be accessed with a MH/Class C/Whatever, but a toad is much more convenient. - If one is taking ferry's, railroad, etc, a toad would be a monstrous PITA - If one likes to take the dirt roads (not 4WD trails, just some of the dirt roads) a toad can be a much more carefree and enjoyable way of noodling around - Want to spend an evening seeing the bright lights and having a nice dinner "downtown" (whether Anchorage, Fairbanks, or Homer)? Easier in a toad. Entirely do-able (with planning) with a bigger rig, but easier in a toad. All the above assumes that "toad" is something like a small p/u or a Jeep or something of that nature. Much of what I see as benefits of a toad are lost if it's a Prius or something like that.
"
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got me confused too. I thought he was talking about Alberta.
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Take your towed vehicle if you like to sitesee the nooks and crannies. We didn't get any damage towing ours.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
First off, Al is Alabama not Alaska (AK), second it is easier to answer questions if all the parameters are covered. What are you driving. Perhaps no one told you about signatures but they serve quite a few purposes like identifying what size and class of rig you have.

Personally, we have RVed AK three times, twice fly/drive and once drive up and back. I will never go again without a towed. I would even use it for overnights to distand locals with roadhouse stays.

Like they say, to each his own and that's mine.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
We experienced worse road conditions driving Route 66 in 2015 than we have in any of our three trips up and down the Alaskan Highway. Some kind of rock shield is a good investment but we wouldn't think of leaving our towed behind.
2004 Travel Supreme 38DS04
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

Ernest
Explorer
Explorer
We found that it made wildlife viewing a lot easier. Lots of roads in the Yukon and Alaska you don't want to pull over on what they call a shoulder in a class A DP.
Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Travelingonthetradewinds.blogspot.com 2014 Alaska Blog
Travelingonthetradewinds1.blogspot.com 2017 South West Blog

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Really depends on your RV. You will see lots of Class C's without toads. Even some large Class A's without a toad.
We travel to AK in a 25' Class C. I liked the fact that I can just spend the night were we were at. No need to return to a campground where our rig would have been parked.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been to Alberta several times and while it's true that most places have sufficient room to park a large mh, you will still have need to do short trips...supplies, visiting, exploring, etc.

I guess I don't understand. If you are towing a toad all during your previous travels in the US, why would you not continue while in Canada?

Personally, we don't take our mh anywhere without the toad following faithfully behind.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
RVing anywhere in a big MH without a toad isn't for me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad