cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travelling to the Canadian East Coast

blueorrfan
Explorer
Explorer
We have our timeline down, but no camping spots or activities....

Leaving Ontario Aug 2nd to Quebec City. Spend the next full day there then hit the road morning of Aug 4th.

Arrive PEI later that day and stay until Aug 8th

Arrive Cape Breton later that day, stay till Aug 12th.

Leave in the am travel to Annapolis valley or just south of Halifax till Aug 17th.

Arrive Moncton area and stay until the 21st,

We are probably going to stay in Provincial Parks which don't look like they can be booked until Apr 1st.
Any other suggestions for camping or certain activities you've really enjoyed would be appreciated.

Thanks
19 REPLIES 19

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
The drive you have planned from Quebec City KOA to Cabot Beach is over 900 KM (558 Miles). WOW! In a car that's a 10 hour day. Towing an RV plan on 12 to 13 hours if things go perfectly and there is zero road construction. That's one long asss drive my friend. You might want to consider an over night somewhere around in central NB It's your trip - just saying.

It's often said that in Atlantic Canada we have two seasons, winter and road construction season.

Armadillo 17 - PEI is beautiful in early September, our favorite time to go. The golf is fantastic and discounted for the shoulder season. You should know however that many attractions and restaurants are closed after Labour Day but for us that just means zero crowds and no congestion. If visiting after Labour Day phone ahead and make sure you can find an open campground where you plan to stay. Temperature will not be an issue in your RV but sitting out at night around a campfire will require long pants and a jacket.

Our experience in September is daytime temps will be high 60's to mid 70's F and night time low to mid 50;s F
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
While 2 or 3 cgs in Newfoundland are open year round, quite a few close right after Labour Day. Yep, you can camp there Labour Day eve, but not Labour Day evening. However, in that sparsely populated land there are gravel pits and public parking lots. Ask and you will likely be welcomed.

Fall is a much more comfy time relative to inland temps and climates than is spring. September days can be just glorious, but make sure you have several winter sleeping bags or a good furnace for night times. Then again, health dependent, there are B&Bs too.

๐Ÿ˜‰
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Oldcow
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you must have hot beach days (which is still possible in September), September is the best time in my humble opinion.

Oldcow
2013 Outback 300RB TT
2010 Tundra

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Cold is subjective. We can have beautiful weather in September 60/70s. The vast majority of campgrounds are open until late September to our Thanksgiving weekend, the second weekend in October.

Not sure when you are on PEI but if you are here Sept 15th-18th, you will be able to partake in this if you love seafood.

http://peishellfish.com/
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

armadillo_17
Explorer
Explorer
Hope to make this trip late Summer. But how late can I be? Thinking early Sept to miss the Summer crowds, but will it be too chilly? When do the campgrounds close?
Jon in S/W Missouri
2007 Winnebago Class C
2012 Jeep Patriot (Manual Transmission)

blueorrfan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dave, I was going to take the bridge, but may just try the ferry!

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going to PEI, and then to Cape Breton, then you're leaving on the ferry. Or not, its your choice. But it's not that much more (Federal Government owns the ferry, does the maintenance on them during the winters when the ice may block the Strait.) The ferry ride beats driving all the way around, you'll see more of PEI. They have WIFI, and there could be music aboard!

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
When we visited PEI in 2014, we arrived on the bridge and stayed ten days. We saw the northern areas of the Island, then drove east to see some of that area, and camp again. We left on the ferry, it could have been more expensive than the bridge, but not in the long run because the bridge would mean driving many more miles, backtracking, as our destination, Cape Breton, was much closer to our last camp site at Murray River, not that far from the Ferry Terminal.

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Have a great time out East! I have my 'out east' trip already planned, same provinces as you, and reserved for this summer, yeah!!!
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you took note of the fact that you pay for over water links to PEI only ONCE --------- when you leave & the Bridge costs LESS than ferry.

:C

blueorrfan
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we have our camping destinations booked.

A couple nights at the KOA in Quebec City, with a tour of historic downtown planned.

In PEI we're staying at Cabot Beach PP as the National park seems to be under construction. Looks like a nice park and fairly central. Plan on golfing, possibly deep sea fishing and spending some time exploring on the roads.

Cape Breton we have booked at Mira River PP as it's close to Sydney and Louisburg, We'll spend a full day doing the Cabot Trail and maybe a couple hours whale watching. Hoping for some Celtic music at a pub somewhere too.

We decided to book Graves Island PP just south of Halifax because of its central location. A day in the Annapolis valley, a day in Halifax, a day along the coast at Lunenburg and Peggys Cove....and some R&R time.

New Brunswick we booked at Parlee Beach PP, looks like an incredible beach. Hooking up with an old friend to go golfing near Moncton. Spend a day at the bay of Fundy and more R&R.

Take our time driving back to Ontario...Peterborough area. This is the only part of the trip we haven't reserved a spot to camp. Fly by the seat of our pants here. Really looking forward to this trip!
Anymore suggestions or tips will be carefully considered.

Thanks again everyone...you've been a big help!

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Let me put some things in point format.

- Ferry to costs more than bridge. You pay when you leave.

Nova Scotia
- Consider going out to Cape Breton Island, Meat Cove, Cabot Trail, Fortress Louisbourg, 1st
- Plan on full day for Fortress.
- Work your way back east. I always like cg in area of Whycogomagh.
- Historic Properties, Halifax.
- Music Festivals in all of Maritimes.
- Tidal Bore

- Fundy National Park
- Boat trips
- Possibly Grand Manan Is, Deer Island, Campobello Island. Love them

- New Brunswick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6zoXjHNCi0
---Fundy Park
---Historic Saint John, city market
---Acadienne Historic Village
--IMHO skip Kouchibouguac Park. Too crowded with bigger rigs. Sorry, did not have even half decent time. Have to reserve and its on National Park reservations scheme.
--Hartland Covered Bridge, longest covered bridge in world.

PEI Let yourself drive.
--Historic Charlottetown
- Charlottetown Farmers Market. New additional one just started this month.
- Other Farmer's Markets
- New Glasgow Lobster Suppers
- Windows on the Water restaurant, Montague. In Where to Eat in CA
- Assorted boat trips
- Historic places (Orwell Corner, Sir Andrew MacPhail Homestead, hiking trails)
- Anne's fictional home.
- Beaches.

Don't know where your starting from in ON. Prefer via Sault Ste Marie, Sudbury, Ottawa, then east.

Enjoy,
:C

blueorrfan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info folks....keep it coming!

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Clicky: Oak Island

Clicky: Murray Beach Provincal Park

Clicky: New Glasgow High Lands

I'll be there this summer not same CG's but will be gone from June 23-Aug 11.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!