cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip from KS to Big Bend N.P., to Organ Pipe Cactus N.P.

jomimac
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip in the latter part of February to last through the middle of April to run through Big Bend Nat'l Park and then to the Organ Pipe Cactus Nat'l Monument. Does anyone have any suggestions for a route to take ( I know there are not a lot of options), areas of interest, and campgrounds, private, state, or Nat'l.

jomimac@lrmutual.com
3 REPLIES 3

erstanfo
Explorer
Explorer
We just left Big Bend. My advice is to stay 4 or 5 days in Rio Grande campground. We moved to Terlinguq to do the west side of the park and regretted it. Do do hwy 170through big Bend state park
Ed, Sharon & Doolin the standard poodle
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
On your way out of Big Bend, stop at McDonald Observatory (one of the world's largest telescopes). Davis Mountains State Park is a nearby campground. Go north up Hwy 54 to Guadalupe Mountains National Park; hike to the top of Gaudalupe Peak if you are up to that sort of thing.

Back on I-10 in New Mexico, stop in Mesilla (just south of Las Cruces) to eat at La Posta, a terific Mexican restaurant. At Tuscon, AZ, visit the Sonora Desert Museum. On the way down to Organ Pipe NP, visit Kitt Peak Observatory.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
There are many secondary highways you could take but the direct route is:

From Lyons, KS via 54/64/87 to Amarillo, TX. Then I-27 south to Lubbock; 87/349 to I-20; 329 to Fort Stockton; I-10 west to Balmorhea State Park - nice; then to Fort Davis State Park - nice and take a tour of the observatory; on to Alpine and 90 to Marathon then 385 into Big Bend.

We always stay at Rio Grande Village in the dry camping area - pleasant with some trees, nice walking and mountain views. Right next door is a concessioner RV park with full hookups but you're parked all in a row. This is spring break time so have reservations.

This is approx. 800 miles.

Leaving Big Bend, take 385 to Marathon then 90 to I-10 at Van Horn and continue west on I-10. There are many RV parks at Deming, NM if you're ready to stop at that time. From Las Cruces, NM to Benson, AZ is a long stretch of open desert so either stop at Deming or go on to Benson, AZ.

In Benson, AZ Kartchner Caverns State Park is a very nice campground and you can take the awesome tour of the caverns. Also in the area is Tombstone (try to go on the weekend as it's more festive) and Bisbee. In Bisbee, the mine tour is very well done by former miners. You don a yellow slicker, hard hat with a light and get on a mine car for the tour.

Lots to do 40 mi. west at Tucson and doable from Benson as day trips. Definitely take in the Desert Museum (outdoor critters) and drive through Saguaro Nat'l Park to see some big cactus.

Then pick up 86 in Tucson to take you west to Why, AZ and Organ Pipe Cactus.

This is approx. 730 mi. from Big Bend.

Have a great trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel