cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Two Medical Crises their Resolution and Costs

Talleyho69
We had a rough October. Things are healing nicely, so I thought this information would be good to share. We became eligible for Medicare through the US this year and have decided not to purchase part B because we do not live in the US nor do we plan to. At least for now and the foreseeable future, we do not plan to purchase medical insurance here in Mexico. That being said......

Four weeks ago we were having our evening walk around looking at our fabulous flowers with drinks in hand. Lifting an anthurium leaf I bumped a wasp nest and was stung once on the middle finger. Man those hurt!!! Wasn't the first time, probably won't be the last. Thirty minutes later the hives started, all over me all at once. I quickly took two Benedryl. Ten minutes later they started in my mouth. No other problems, but hey, let's be careful. So we took the roast chicken out of the microwave and headed to the private hospital 10 to 15 minutes away. We got fairly close when I passed out due to low blood pressure. Next I knew I was on a bed with an IV in my hand, two bags of fluid feeding it and a heart rate/blood pressure/oxygen level reader on my finger. A very nice doctor and nurse were around, and Ray was sitting next to me. Over the next hour, things improved, and we went home via a pharmacy in less than two hours. Good to know, it was just after 9pm, Zihuatanejo had rolled up it's sidewalks except for all the pharmacies. Got my antihistamines and anti inflammatories and went home to sleep it off.

When we asked how much we owed we were warned that since they were a private hospital they were expensive. The bill was 2,100 pesos. Current exchange rate, call it $100 USD. Wow, and great care and service.

What did we learn?? We now stock liquid Benedryl, and if any of us, dogs too, get a sting Benedryl immediately, and if it's me, head to the hospital just in case and take a book while waiting for a reaction.

Epi pens are not available here and not in many countries. They are absurdly expensive and have a shelf life of under two years.

Issue two:

While our beaches were closed for three months, we moved our SUP's into the first floor from the garage so we could do some work on the garage. When the beaches reopened we took them back down the stairs into the garage. While he was carrying the black floor mats that they stand on he stumbled. He ripped off his toe nail. In about 5 days, after the pain eased he made another discovery: the corner of the heavy mats hit him very hard in the lower abdomen causing a tear and a hernia. Great. First Doctor said, "Nope, couldn't be, too small, let's do a coloscopy." All was well, total cost with CD, etc., 7,000 pesos.

Went back to the private hospital that had treated me two days prior and saw the doctor on duty. She said, "Maybe, probably." Ordered an ultrasound, blood work, everything. It was Friday. She scheduled his hernia surgery for Monday afternoon. I dropped him off at 2:30pm. Returned at 6:30 and kept him company while his spinal wore off. He was the only person in the hospital that night. I left him at 8:30 after he drank a bunch and ate his jello and applesauce. Drove home, made a drink, sat down and his cell phone rang. It was him on the Doctor's phone asking for a ride home. I hadn't even had a sip of my drink yet! He had a great night and the next day we went to breakfast and went food shopping in the mercado. It was four weeks ago yesterday and he plans to start ocean swimming with me tomorrow. Paddling soon.

OK, four surgeons, anesthesiologist, paid for a private room for the night we didn't use, everything. Again we were warned that it was a private hospital and was expensive. 35,000 pesos for everything cash, 10% more with a receipt, 4% more for a credit card. The off site tests cost 1,800 pesos. In US dollars we spent about $1,675USD, and the care and quality of everything was very high.

So far we are healthy again and our stress is gone. Medical service in Mexico is outstanding, the cost is minimal we are SO happy to be here!!!

Then there were the dental issues, but that's another story.
37 REPLIES 37

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Lou Morris wrote:
Actually Sharp was the hospital we took my brother too. $500 seemed amazingly cheap to us for an overnight ER stay and various tests.

Also, regarding the comment about Canadien health care costs, it may be inexpensive, but all I ever hear from Canadien friends down here are complaints about the wait times for receiving treatment through the public health option. Seems a downside not often reported. Some report waiting 6-9 months or more for procedures like hip replacements and the like. They are now exploring their options here even if they have to pay out of pocket as they want to get things done sooner.

Wait times for some non emergency procedures, but I have also heard of people waiting for knee replacements etc in the uS. I do know when my wife got breast cancer she was admitted within the week and underwent 2 years of chemo at no cost. Same for my mom when she broke her hip. It has been under more pressure over the last couple of decades as the population ages and the demand on the system increases, but i dont encounter anyoen who would trade it for a user pay system. I think my bill at sharp was about $1200 for 2.5 days with a private room. I did see the bill, but my insurance paid it. They charged me $60 fro a A1C and cholesterol lab tests last year.

Talleyho69
At least here in Zihuatanejo there is a big price difference between the public and private hospitals. Sharp in Mazatlan is a private hospital.

If he had had the hernia surgery in the public hospital, the price, we are told, would have been half of what we paid. Not the personal care, I would have had to spend the night there if he were to stay over. Very different.

However, if money is tight, it is a very viable option.

Lou_Morris
Explorer
Explorer
Actually Sharp was the hospital we took my brother too. $500 seemed amazingly cheap to us for an overnight ER stay and various tests.

Also, regarding the comment about Canadien health care costs, it may be inexpensive, but all I ever hear from Canadien friends down here are complaints about the wait times for receiving treatment through the public health option. Seems a downside not often reported. Some report waiting 6-9 months or more for procedures like hip replacements and the like. They are now exploring their options here even if they have to pay out of pocket as they want to get things done sooner.
'07 Winne View
Jetta TDI

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
coloradotallman wrote:
Lou; Seeing we now winter in Mazatlan, curious to know which hospital?

Sharp is good, but they are pricer. i ahd insurance and wasin there 3 days.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Reading all of this, I should point out that it all free in Canada. My wife went through 2 years of chemo and only had to pay for parking. Having said that, I have had good reasonable care in Mexico. Since I only spend 6 months a year ther (this season excluded) I did sign up for Skymed.

On another subject, the guy who runs the hot dog stand outside a Canadian Tire here in abbotsford is donating a kidney to a customer. A stranger. There are some very good people out there. They are raising money to cover his time off work. I can donate to that.

On edit if you are interested, PM me and I will give you the link. They have raised 10k of a 15k goal. Sounds like a lot, but he has to shut his business down for 2 months. The medical costs involved are covered under Canada's universal health care

Talleyho69
I so hope that you are correct. It's time for a change!

Explorer
Explorer
In a very short time our medical prices will be as cheap as foreign countries.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Talleyho69 wrote:
Everything I am reading says they are not available here, the drug is heavily controlled. Besides the fact that they cost a LOT and have a short shelf life.

I carry an Epi pen. My Dr said as long as it is still clear and discolored, it is good. With the cost of them, she recommended I hang on to it. Each prescription comes with two so I may have to use two in case of an emergency, but she always said if I have to use one, use it right away and get in the car and head for the emergency room and use the other en route if I have to.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

coloradotallman
Explorer
Explorer
Lou; Seeing we now winter in Mazatlan, curious to know which hospital?

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
Talleyho69 wrote:
Thanks for that information.

Have you checked out liquid Benadryl? It's supposed to get into your system faster.

I am sorry but I have not. I have heard that it is suppose to work faster and purchased some but have not had to use it. The first time I was stung I ended up in the hospital and they used an IV. Since then I have been stung once and used the benedril immediately. I waited awhile, kept talking and started having hoarseness. I got the epi out and waited another couple minutes and it started getting better. I don't think I would do that again. As soon as the hoarseness started I should use the epi.

Talleyho69
Everything I am reading says they are not available here, the drug is heavily controlled. Besides the fact that they cost a LOT and have a short shelf life.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Epi,s area available. But not in small towns. That private hospital should be able to order one.

Talleyho69
We haven't looked into evacuation insurance because we have no place to be evacuated to!!!

During the time that the Africanized bees were a serious problem here, we heard about two couples, then met them a couple of weeks later, that had been attacked by them while parked for lunch near Pinotepa Nacional. Fortunately they were very very close to a military base and hospital who took care of them. The women were hospitalized over night. They didn't have enough drugs to fully treat the men and when we met them in Puerto Escondito they were having a lot of issues and were working with a doctor.

Scary stuff!!

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
You've had a spell of injuries - glad it all worked out and was not expensive. We've traveled in Mexico by motorcycle recently and we always carry medical evacuation insurance - it's about $500 a year. The first 5 times we purchased Medivac without realizing they will not go into level 4 states in Mexico - currently Colima, Guerrero, Michoacรกn, Sinaloa and Tamaulipas. We found another - Geos Medivac - they will bring us back to a hospital of our choice from all states in Mexico.
One thing about the stings - I don't know if it is still bad as it was in Sinaloa 15 years ago - the Africanized bees there were an all too common sight. Those bees are bad news even for folks without allergies.

Talleyho69
Thanks for that information.

Have you checked out liquid Benadryl? It's supposed to get into your system faster.