cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vancouver, WA to Cape May, NJ (November 1st)

JohnBorgen
Explorer
Explorer
I've got to be in Cape May, NJ for my sons graduation from the Coast Guard boot camp. I'll be traveling with my wife and we'll be taking our brand new 25' Coleman. I've hauled other trailers, but never across the Rockies...and never in November. Historic weather trends look okay this early in November but I'm looking to people that have actually done this before. Right now the plan is to take I-84 to I-80 (through the Salt Lake area) then on through to Chicago and beyond. Is there a better route? I'm planning on allowing a week to get there. So the most direct route is not as important as safety.
7 REPLIES 7

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
If you make it through the rockies on I-80, when you get into Illinois drop south onto I-74 toward Indinapolis and get onto I-70. It will get you away from Chicago and save you a good bit in tolls.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We have taken I 90 as last as the first of December without any weather issues but could have just been very lucky. If I were you, I'd plan to leave a few days earlier if possible so you have a buffer zone just in care. The only thing I hate about I90 was Chicago Chicago and Chicago, so we took some secondary roads just south.

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
While staying in Cape May check out Cape May Mobile Estates as a place to stay.

Long pull thru sites.

Close to the graduation and the Lobster House Restaurant.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œHistoric weather trends look okay this early in November but I'm looking to people that have actually done this before.โ€

Not having a son or daughter in our Coast Guard, I havenโ€™t โ€œdone this before.โ€ Having driven that route in that time of year you might get lucky. Use a southern route.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
We have traveled from the Oregon coast to MA the last two weeks of Oct.a few times. We never got caught in weather but we did have to "out-run" it. It's a very ify time along 80.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
The further south you go, the least likely you are to see delays. I'd think about I-40 in November. You'll have a better idea by what sort of early winter the northern plains will get by late October.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
A week is pushing it that time of year especially across the plains, you could hit early winter storms. We went from B.C. to Minneapolis in three days and that was hauling butt.