cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washington State route to Las Vegas

cjaye
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I are pulling our 27 ft Travel Trailer with our Ram 1500 Bighorn from Seattle, Washington down to Vegas on April 2 and at this point plan to take US 26>20>78>95. We thought it would be a prettier drive than I5 and we're returning home via I84 so didn't want to do that again. I've never been on those hightways or through the mountains and forests it looks like we'll be going through and I'm concerned about driving on steep, scary roads, and through snow. This is our second year of RVng so not too many trips and experiences under our belt yet. Our initial planning has us stopping in Prineville, Oregon and Winnemucca, Nv. arriving Las Vegas on April 4th. Also, I'd really appreciate any tips/suggestions or words of wisdom anyone might have.

Thank you!
11 REPLIES 11

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I've driven Eastern Washington to Mesa AZ many times. I usually follow the route listed above by TyroneAndGladys. The road surfaces are just fine, and the mountain bits not really bad.

I've also run OP's original route along 95, and as I recall that route surface is also just fine. SR78 is pretty desolate. I might not go that way if snow is forecast. You can go a long time without seeing anyone there.

I would just check the forecasts, and lay over for 24 to 48 hours enjoying my RV if the weather is bad -- it's not likely to last long.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
I will be traveling from Moclips WA to Chandler AZ later this year and will be going through Las Vegas. My route is going to be US 12 to I 5 to I 84 to US 93 to 318 to US 93 thru Las Vegas to Phoenix
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

cjaye
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. You've given me other alternatve routes I hadn't considered.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The east side of the mountains has some great roads like Rt 93 in Oregon and then connect with Rt 395 in California which is on the best scenic roads in America.

Rt 95 in Nevada is highly uninteresting in comparison. I do not like I5 either.

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
We have driven the US20, 78, 95 portion of your trip several times while going to Utah. All these roads should be fine in April. As others have stated, this drive is one of the least populated parts of the USA, so definitely stay on the top half of the gas tank, carrying an little extra fuel in a 5 gal can is not bad idea either.
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
We did this trip in Dec not towing the trailer.. We made it to Redding the first day. Then headed East to Susanville to Reno and then to Tonopah the second day. Then a easy drive to Vegas...

The only hard part I could see towing a trailer on this route would be the Lassen pass, but nothing I wouldn't do if I was pulling the TT. It would have just been slower and used a LOT more gas.. 🙂

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Big1
Explorer II
Explorer II
cjaye wrote:
My husband and I are pulling our 27 ft Travel Trailer with our Ram 1500 Bighorn from Seattle, Washington down to Vegas on April 2 and at this point plan to take US 26>20>78>95. We thought it would be a prettier drive than I5 and we're returning home via I84 so didn't want to do that again. I've never been on those hightways or through the mountains and forests it looks like we'll be going through and I'm concerned about driving on steep, scary roads, and through snow. This is our second year of RVng so not too many trips and experiences under our belt yet. Our initial planning has us stopping in Prineville, Oregon and Winnemucca, Nv. arriving Las Vegas on April 4th. Also, I'd really appreciate any tips/suggestions or words of wisdom anyone might have.

Thank you!

We are plan the same trip, it's too bad that we can't get some kind of a convoy going down but we not going until early Sept.
2022 Ram Laramie 3500 6.7L CTD CCLB
2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

Big1
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
AFter this winter I suspect your proposed route could still see some snow. You might be better off sticking to more main stream roads. I5,I90,I82,I84,US95 would be safer. As an option I90 to ID and 95 south from there.

Ours plans is to go this way also, but not until early Sept. those.
2022 Ram Laramie 3500 6.7L CTD CCLB
2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II

Basically US 95 between Fernley and Las Vegas is wide open desert. There are three towns of any size -Hawthorne, Tonopah and Beatty- between IR 80 east of Reno at Fernley and Las Vegas. Drive on the top half of your tank and not at night. Nevada does not fence this road and a black cow standing in the middle of a black road on a black night kind of thing.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
AFter this winter I suspect your proposed route could still see some snow. You might be better off sticking to more main stream roads. I5,I90,I82,I84,US95 would be safer. As an option I90 to ID and 95 south from there.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd take I84 east to U.S. 395 then south to Boron. West on California 58 to Barstow and pick up I15 into Las Vegas. Lots of good BLM and USFS campsites along 395...and some mountain views too.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad