cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

We're in Whitehorse,YT

rkassl
Explorer
Explorer
Left Wisconsin on May 15th and just planted the Montana for a four day stay in Whitehorse. Some snow piles left, many lakes have ice on them but it is going fast. Roads not to bad so far. It is the most amazing road trip that the wife and I have ever done.

Anyone else on the road? We are heading straight to Homer for some serious Halibut fishing.
2015 Montana 3440RL Legacy Edition
PullRite Super 5th 20K hitch
Morryde Pin Box
Dish Tailgater and King Tailgater Satellite Systems
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW CC full bed
16 REPLIES 16

arkieguide
Explorer
Explorer
We have made several trips to Alaska, driving & flying. When you drive do not get in a hurry thru the Yukon, it is an unblieve place, we do what we can to drive 45mph to enjoy it. In alaska we like chicken to, and from, there is the true alaska.

Take care.

dannydimitt
Explorer
Explorer
sue.t wrote:
The Yukon River is high at Dawson.
If you plan on taking the ferry across the river in the next day or two, this is what you might drive through getting on or off the ferry!

Looks interesting to say the least , the ferry appears to have gotten a lot bigger than the ones we used there in 1970.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
The Yukon River is high at Dawson.
If you plan on taking the ferry across the river in the next day or two, this is what you might drive through getting on or off the ferry!

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Alaskan_Class_C
Explorer
Explorer
I think the flooding is gone in Tok now, wave at my RV as you pass by Willards RV repair (across the highway from fast eddy's) It's stuck there for a couple more weeks with a blown transmission.

Here's a picture from about Monday I found on the net, which happens to have my RV in it lol, my RV weathered the flood ok at least...I went home since I was towing a car so at least I'm not stuck in Tok.

1978 Itasca, It's old but I own it....

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rkassl wrote:
Tomorrow we make it to Destruction Bay. Then to Beaver Creek and on to Tok. We hear that the roads will be getting rough the closer we get to Alaska.

Has anyone went through this area very recently?

Thanks

Have driven it twice in the last 2 mo. Most recently 2 weeks ago.
From Whitehorse to the US border is pretty frost heaved most of the way. Decent stretch from the border for about an hour then rough all the way to Tok. Good for a cpl hrs from Tok then a little rough to Eureka.
Made it twice, loaded pretty heavy with trailers and no issues but did see the trailer catch some air a few times on unsuspecting bumps!
Just ease up on the go pedal and watch for the orange flags and cones. Nothing too rough or potholed just a lot of whoops sections and a couple short stretches of gravel.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We did that trip in 04. My wife's mom and grand father lived in Dawson city and Whitehorse because he was a steam boat captain on the Yukon river.
fun time for us.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Paul, I bet your wife gets her own set of coach keys to hang around her neck after that adventure. LOL Glad to see you are rolling with the ups and downs and having a great time.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

pnordan
Explorer
Explorer
We left NC May 9 and are now in Whitehorse for the 4th night. The starter failed on the Cherokee toad while the dogs and I were out looking for an RV wash. Left the wife in the laundry room and the coach locked. No cell service with Verizon so it was an interesting adventure. The tow truck Good Sam sent was great, brought me and the dogs back to the C/G. He then took the car to a shop open on Sundays and brought it back to the C/G when it was fixed.
Tomorrow we are off to Dawson City. We have to be in Fairbanks June 20 to get a new dash A/C compressor that failed along the way. Hoping to get improved cell when we get into Alaska.

Save Travels!
Paul & Kristina
Lucy & Curly
2004 American Coach Tradition
2004 jeep Grand Cherokee

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
The stretch between Destruction Bay to the Alaska Border is pretty much the normal intermittent surfaced, potholed and frost heave breaks that it has always been since they paved it...hasn't changed much at all in the 27 year span that I witnessed onhand driving thru the stretch.

In my camper rig it always takes me 5 to 6 hours of driving time thru the 130 mile stretch as I ALWAYS take my sweet time and slow down to a crawl when I feel the need to, averaging anywhere between 22 to 26 mph depending the conditions while engaging on the hazards when the fast and impatient traffic approaches (as it is my rig and my travel schedule-not theirs), while I am still looking for a slow moving vehicle placard to display on my camper rig when I go on these types of roads.

Most "conservative" drivers with special heavy rigs like an RV will normally make it thru the stretch in 4 hours or so (as it takes me 3.5 hours on average non stop from Destruction Bay to White River), others will make it thru the whole stretch in even shorter time as they tend to think Alaska is going to drift away or something resulting in potential minor to major damage to their large rigs.

The stretch is very drivable as you and everyone else should be fine providing you slooooooow down enough to all the surface breaks and frost heaves in between and enjoy the unique scenic stretch it has to offer.

The most recent news as of yesterday referring to the Tok area is there is standing water along many places as deep as three feet, however the Alaska Highway itself has no issues with washouts or erosion (most roads in Interior Alaska are built higher than lower ground level landscape).

The Tok River has exceeded its banks due to late snowmelt because of the cold spring this year, as Tok River Campground (Alaska State Park) is underwater, and areas near the Alaska Highway within Tok also has standing water as well, as a flood warning remains in effect thru 900pm tonight (Sunday June 02).
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

rkassl
Explorer
Explorer
Tomorrow we make it to Destruction Bay. Then to Beaver Creek and on to Tok. We hear that the roads will be getting rough the closer we get to Alaska.

Has anyone went through this area very recently?

Thanks
2015 Montana 3440RL Legacy Edition
PullRite Super 5th 20K hitch
Morryde Pin Box
Dish Tailgater and King Tailgater Satellite Systems
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW CC full bed

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
The S.S. Klondike riverboat is now a self-guided tour, open 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. If one wishes a guided tour, there are designated contractors who will take you through the historical site, for a fee, of course.

There is also now a substantial wharf on the Yukon River along First Avenue, between the Trolley Roundhouse and the historical White Pass Building. Very nicely done with bench seats. All good views of the Yukon River.

Those interested in a pleasant walk can enjoy the Millennium Trail along both sides of the Yukon River. It does a good loop through the south part of town and includes a foot bridge over the Yukon River out by the Robert Service campground.

I also recommend a visit to the Kwanlin Dun Cultural Centre along the Yukon River. There is no fee for entry and there are some interesting artifacts to be seen. As well, some artists in residence.

The Yukon Beringia Interpretive Centre is also interesting, has some historical animal displays and good movies. Here you'll learn more about the land bridge that once existed between Alaska & Siberia. Many areas of Yukon & Alaska were unglaciated during the Ice Age and this is what you'll learn more about. Plus you get to try your hand at spear throwing.

Those wishing to take a boat tour of the Yukon River and Miles Canyon, can check into http://www.yukonrivercruises.com/boatcruises.html. An affordable outing on the MV Schwatka, very scenic! ON EDIT: read in the newspaper that the MV Schwatka will not be touring this year
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
The restored steam ship, is a great half day well spent as well. Parks Canada did a great job and have some good tours. Nice gift shop as well.

I normally carry a book of Robert Service's poems with me. So I like to take a few hours and go to the banks of the Yukon, there in town. Find a comfortable place to sit and read. It is fun to think that Service himself probably looked at the same view, I am enjoying while there. Now days, I have a copy of his complete works, stored on my Kindle and iPad so one of those go with me. My wife likes to walk the shops downtown while I try to go back in time, in my mind.

Whitehorse to me, is addictive, IMHO. Generally I will tell myself I am just going to stop for fuel and some resupply of groceries and drink, and be on my way north. Then 3 or 4 days later, or more, I will finally head north. Just one of those places that makes me smile to think about it.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

jim_behr
Explorer
Explorer
Whitehorse is great, the follies are also great, and reasonable. good town to walk around in..

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Take in the "Frantic Follies" while you are in Whitehorse! It's a "must-see"!!! ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's