cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

West Through Northern Ontario Route 11 or 17?

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like we have the sticks and bricks sold.

Planning to head west from the Maritimes to BC in late September. Driving a 37 foot Class A and pulling a toad (see signature)

No real deadline or fixed dates.

We want to stay in Canada for the entire route. It's a bucket list thing, drive across Canada.

So from North Bay, Route 11 to Thunder Bay or Route 17?

I know that Route 17 is scenic but everything I have read says 17 is twists, turns and hills while Route 11 is no scenery, just mile after mile of trees and rocks!

If 17 is as twisty and curvy as described I can't imagine it being a relaxing drive.

So, for those that have experience with these routes what is your opinion?
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy
19 REPLIES 19

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
fanrgs, Hwy 17 in Northern Ontario is definitely a truck route! Maybe Hwy 11 is as well, but driving distances would increase, leaving that assumption in doubt. Thunder Bay is subject to a lot of winter weather, especially going towards spring when the huge sheet of Ice on Lake Superior seems to treat T Bay as its own ice box. We were stranded there one year when an April first snowfall dumped 40 centimeters. I couldn't get off the highway fast enough, with semis still barreling towards us as we crept towards a place to take refuge on a motor homes' regular tires. One slip and we'd be chopped in half by a semi.

axnguyen
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, new member here and figured I would chime in on this since I live in Thunder Bay and have done this drive many times.

When taking the RV, we use Hwy 11 - yes, it is less scenic but I love that it has very little traffic. The hills on 17 are also tough for our RV, so we avoid them. Length of time to take either route is very close too.

As for weather in November - the last couple of years we have had mild Novembers and very little snow until well into December. We're hoping to take our last trip with the RV in November this year too. It would definitely be chilly at night though. As others have mentioned though...you never know what nature will bring around here!

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Just to show how old some of us are: when I think of Hwy 17 ages ago, all I can recall is how bleak the terrain was approaching Sudbury, among all the slag heaps, and then the highway went right through the center of the city. What a dump that was.

Now you go by on 17 and never really know Sudbury exists!

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would be more concerned about the conditions in Alberta & BC - especially the higher elevations. As Scorpion said, you never know what will happen in N. Ontario. I lived in Sudbury for 85 months and we learned that the snow you got in October would still be on the ground come April!
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

scorpion
Explorer
Explorer
Lived in northern Ontario my whole life. Early November will be "iffy". An early Nov. snowstorm is very possible, as is fine sunny weather. its a **** shoot. This comment would probably apply for your whole trip west.

Scorp

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Guys: Looking for more information.

Like always we are now running into the standard BS that is expected when selling our home. The buyer may want to push the closing to Nov 1st. Will winter conditions be an issue while driving from North Bay to Thunder Bay in early November?

I know my rig would have to be winterized and overnights might be motels, just wondering about snow and ice on the roads in Northern Ontario. My rigs tires are only a couple of years old and in perfect condition but they are definitely summer tires, ribbed and no side lugs.
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
In 2012 we went out via 11, returned via 17. 11 has long stretches of flat, straight bush and often long stretches between towns and opportunities to fill up.
17 was very scenic but many long grades that tested the capabilities of our rig, especially braking.

If you do take 17 a nice place to stay is the municipal campground in Marathon.

Best of luck and safe travels,

Tim & Jo
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
17 has some beautiful scenery, especially around Lake Superior and Lake of the Woods. We had no problems towing our 5th wheel on the part of 17 west of Thunder Bay last fall. It's a little curvy and has some hills and grades, but the pavement was great. My guess is that 11 is the truck route and 17 is the tourist route.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. It looks like 17 wins by a landslide.

Kopit, if things work out this is a one way trip, west.
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD

scorpion
Explorer
Explorer
Re 4 laning on 17. About 25 kms around Sud, about 25 east of SSM (doesnt by pass the city) and about 30 kms east of TBay. Lots of passing lanes on the hills and curves so not really a problem that way. Construction was mainly bridge replacements and controlled with traffic lights. Some rock work around Nipigon.
Drove Sud to Dryden early this Aug.

Scorp

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
almcc wrote:

Agree! I've seen a Class A motor home on the side of the road out of fuel, driver posted a sign asking for help.

The longest section on 17 (from memory) is just north of Sault St. Marie to Wawa, well over 100 km. There is gas in Wawa and in Marathon. The husky travel stops in SSM and in Dryden are convenient for larger RV's and Dryden has the cheapest gas in northern Ontario.

In the 70s when I was driving that Wawa--- Sault Ste Marie stretch all seasons, I thought of it as 131 miles.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Beverley&Ken wrote:
As Tripalot said "One thing we would recommend is driving on the top of your gas tank. We found there were some long stretches with no gas stations (maybe 60 - 100 kms.) and no signs warning of this.
Top up in the larger communities and you will be OK.
"
We asked a police officer where the next gas (or diesel) was available. He said next gas station is about 100km down the road, but it closes at 7pm. Fortunately we had enough gas to get there. Spent night in there parking lot. One thing we did learn was not to shop around for cheaper prices, there was usually only one station a a town.

Ken

Agree! I've seen a Class A motor home on the side of the road out of fuel, driver posted a sign asking for help.

The longest section on 17 (from memory) is just north of Sault St. Marie to Wawa, well over 100 km. There is gas in Wawa and in Marathon. The husky travel stops in SSM and in Dryden are convenient for larger RV's and Dryden has the cheapest gas in northern Ontario.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
As Tripalot said "One thing we would recommend is driving on the top of your gas tank. We found there were some long stretches with no gas stations (maybe 60 - 100 kms.) and no signs warning of this.
Top up in the larger communities and you will be OK.
"
We asked a police officer where the next gas (or diesel) was available. He said next gas station is about 100km down the road, but it closes at 7pm. Fortunately we had enough gas to get there. Spent night in there parking lot. One thing we did learn was not to shop around for cheaper prices, there was usually only one station a a town.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Go via one route, come back another.

I did this last year, got home to Maritimes on Oct 10, 2015.

-Going, crossed St. Lawrence Riviere du Loup up Saguenay and prowled -around up that way 2 or 3 days, Val d'or, etc.
-Over to Kirkland Lake, Timmins, picked up 11 and across to Thunder Bay.
-On to Manitoba, major through way, don't remember number.
-Rounded Winnipeg going north and worked my way north so that I would -get to Northwest Territories, ie. Hay River.
-Had to come way back south because so late in year to get to BC and up to Yukon
-Whitehorse residents sent me off to Skagway, AK rather than Dawson City.

Service Stations, eateries, etc. always had people with suggestions, or travel motto, talk to locals.

Coming back, One tourist attraction on my list many times more than any others, The Royal Tyrrell Museum. To which I say, was I ever right about that.
- Then via close to Winnipeg again, should have changed that for something different.
- Kept to 17 back through ON. Hey, ya know I worked out of Sudbury 72-78. 17 has changed since I went through in 2004. Since I know the towns I wasn't happy about change. Dropped down to Manitoulin Island for a day. Very much the same as 38 years before. Worth it.
- Quit 17 before Ottawa and went south to pick up my rovings to QC border and south.
- Finally connected with Hartland Covered Bridge.

Like I said, go one way return another. Talk to locals.

:B
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006