Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Western Coast

Brent_and_Gina
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

Will be in Oregon City tomorrow, then headed south to San Fran. Can I get some advice on what roads to take? I am nervous on narrow roads, at elevation, with small shoulders, no guard rails, and constant switchbacks. I can handle it ok with wider shoulders and wider lanes. So, with this in mind, what's my best route for me and wife? Appreciate the adviCe.

Brent
14 REPLIES 14

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
hop on 205 to i-5 south to Salem parkway to 22 follow 22 till it turns into 18.
18 to 101 south to sf. one of Americas most scenic and enjoyable drives

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd recommend that you plan a stay at Ancient Redwoods RV at Redcrest, CA, just north of Leggett. You can explore the 'Avenue of Giants' by driving your vehicle rather than the RV. The area also has some fantastic short easy hikes among the big trees.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
Since you updated on what you want to see and the time you have. I would change my recommendation to US-101, it is a beautiful drive. As others have said don't confuse it with CA1. IIRC US-101 and CA1 run together at some points, but where they do they are very drivable. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
101 is fine all the way, OR, CA & WA, for any size RV. Traffic in the SF area is the main concern.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
There is a narrow section of 101 south of Yachats and north of Florence where they are doing road construction and it is one lane alternating traffic on the outside edge. My hubby wasn't happy with this stretch BEFORE construction.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Stop at the Tillamook Cheese Factory and try the grilled cheese sandwiches and then stay a couple of nights at Ocean Side and visit Shore Acres State Park just down the road
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Brent_and_Gina
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
California Hwy 101 doesn't have drop-offs and switchbacks. Don't confuse it with Hwy 1 which does. Hwy 101 is a very nice drive to San Francisco.

Really? That's good. Ok, how about 101 in Oregon? Looks like Cali's 1...sorta. Our desire in Cali is redwoods, San Fran, kiddo, and possibly wine country/tour. Will certainly entertain any "must see"s anyone suggests along the way. No really hurries in the travel. Have about a month more left on the trip.

Brent

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
California Hwy 101 doesn't have drop-offs and switchbacks. Don't confuse it with Hwy 1 which does. Hwy 101 is a very nice drive to San Francisco.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I find most of I5 quite beautiful I was not even bored by the Sacramento valley, so maybe that makes me weird.

101 is much, much slower, but better camping. Do you want to get to SF quickly, or do you want to camp?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
For me the easiest way that we used to go was I5 to I505 to I80. By taking the I505 you miss the traffic at Sacramento. I505 comes out at Vacaville. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
From what you say you best route would be I-5 to the cut off to I-80. I-5 is interesting & scenic up thru Redding CA. Dick

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
well, I-5 has wide shoulders, no tight curves, drop offs etc. but is a VERY boring route.

US101 has great scenery, some shoulder, not much for tight turns. Personally 101 is a very easy route for me, but so is hwy 1 and hwy 49 in california.

try 101 from astoria, if it bothers you go east on highway 26 or 6 back to I-5.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
Use US 101 to San Francisco or I-5 south to the I-80 and west into San Francisco.

I agree with this, but would lean towards 101.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Use US 101 to San Francisco or I-5 south to the I-80 and west into San Francisco.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"