cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What will Canadians fo this fall/winter

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
We Canadians could be stuck in Canada for a long time. The borders may not be open until 2021. Not fun.
41 REPLIES 41

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
When I booked tickets they were not filling the center seats, now they are doing that and made it probably a no go for me.

JeffersonCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
Europe is opening up right now. There are tons of snowbirds in southern Spain and Morroco. Portugal can also be nice. But southern Spain is still one of our favourite winter vacations.

Yes, Europe is generally open within its borders and to Canadians. We've been looking at buying a new RV in Canada to replace the Rialta we sold 2 years ago. But where would we go? Luckily we didn't sell the RV we keep in the Netherlands. The last 3 winters we've motorhomed in Morocco, Spain, Portugal and Greece. We have tickets booked for the end of November, probably RV in Portugal, but are still not sure we'll risk the flight. Once we're in the RV, we're confident we can keep as socially distanced as possible . Strange times.
Frank in Toronto
formerly:
2 Westfalia campers (in Europe)
2 VW/Winnebago Eurovan campers
2004 Rialta HD :
Now: 2001 Hymer B654 in Europe: the "Jefferson Campervan"
The Jefferson Campervan Travel Pages

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
that is what i am hearing as well.

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have been on the road a lot recently. Just crossed last week. Mexico has never closed the border going south for anyone.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Tequila wrote:
It seems to be a far leakier border than the northern one.

Pretty much the same thing.

Canada/U.S. border crossing, essential travel:

Essential traffic has included the flow of trade and commerce, as well as foreign workers and health-care workers, but tourists remain barred from crossing the border.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
It seems to be a far leakier border than the northern one.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
bighatnohorse wrote:
What's going on in towns like Los Algodones?
Or towns like Columbus NM where Mexican school children are educated in the US?

Essential Trips Between Both The U.S. and Mexico

Los viajes considerados esenciales siguen siendo los mismo y son los que se hacen por motivo de trabajo, asunto mรฉdico, para asistir a clases, transporte de carga o para cuidar algรบn enfermo.

Trips considered essential are the following; work, medical reasons, "go to classes", cargo transport, or care for someone sick.

Keep in mind, children in the U.S., also cross into Mexico to study in private schools, mostly religious schools. It works both ways.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
What's going on in towns like Los Algodones?
Or towns like Columbus NM where Mexican school children are educated in the US?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
also my neighbor who has both a US & Canadian passport left in their RV for California yesterday to visit family. They did not come back, so they must have got across.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
not true. If you are American you can transit to Alaska and a friend told me he contacted the US border and they told him he could transit the US with a Mexican passport or resident card. Whether you'd want to is another matter, of course.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
You cannot cross from Canada to the US unless you are essential. Same for crossing from the USA to Canada.

Talleyho69
Many people from Mexico, both from the US and Canada have crossed the border going north. There is no problem.

If you are going to Canada they have their quarantine rules.

If you are going to the US, they just welcome you back.

The border "closings" are for things like going across for dinner, a dental appointment, that kind of thing, not preventing legal residents from returning.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Almost the same situation as myself except I have temporal, that needs renewing in Jan. If I cant make it I will start over, take enough monthly out of my RRIF so I can go direct to permanent. It will mean I cant drive my vehicle down anymore, at least not past San Carlos. A friend of mine down there in his RV is now on a ventilator in Manzanillo and his wife is sick. They were being careful, but you have to eat. That has bought me down to earth. I am not going until there is a vaccine or it disappears on its own. A winter in Canada, beats all the future ones in a grave. I booked a flight for November, but it does not look good for taking it.

Bromley
Explorer
Explorer
I was planning on leaving in Sept. I have lived in Mexico for 10 years all year but came back this year for 7 months. I have my permanent residence status for Mexico so hoping I can get through the border as I will be going home. As Americans seem to be able to cross the border if travelling to Alaska.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
May have to buy my first winter coat in years. I have lived in Mexico for 6 months s year for 14 years, even took out residency. Canadian' winters don't thrill me and I am too old to ski anymore. I prefer a floater and a book for exercise.