cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winslow AZ to Durango

yj_bill
Explorer
Explorer
Best route towing from Winslow AZ to Durango please? I'm thinking take the 40 to Gallop then the 491 to Cortez but am willing to explore other options. Someone said the 491 was pretty tore up but that was a few years back, hoping its been redone recently
05 Dynaquest 320ST
2013 Jeep JKR
6 REPLIES 6

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
yj bill wrote:
Weโ€™re actually headed to Bayfield so that route would work. Not seeing N5 on google maps but BIA 5 is listed, must be the same?

It shows as N5 on Google maps but in the real world it is BIA 5 and a very nice drive. It brings you out to the 371 which takes you north to/through Farmington/ Aztec connecting southeast of Durango and to the east, Bayfield and is the best, most direct route.

yj_bill
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™re actually headed to Bayfield so that route would work. Not seeing N5 on google maps but BIA 5 is listed, must be the same?
05 Dynaquest 320ST
2013 Jeep JKR

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unless you have things to see and do in the Cortez area {and Mesa Verde NP is a must see if you have not been there yet} you can avoid Ship Rock to Cortez by going east on N5 little north of Gallup and then north on the 371 through Farmington and Aztec. You eventually pick up the 550 northbound and it brings you out just southeast of Durango. These roads are all decent and it is a more direct route. As I said earlier I will be driving to Pagosa Springs on Monday but had forgotten about the N5. Durango to Pagosa Springs a a very nice ride that takes about an hour.

:C

yj_bill
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Guys, 491 it is, looking forward to some time in beautiful Colorado.
05 Dynaquest 320ST
2013 Jeep JKR

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another vote for the 491 and I have driven it at least a dozen times. I'll be driving it on Monday on my way to Pagosa Springs. If you need an RV Park in/near Gallup try the USA RV Park on the west side of Gallup. Nice place, decent amenities and not too pricey. They do a nice BBQ right on site most nights. Good Luck.

:C

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
491 from from Shiprock to Cortez is bumpy and rough but I wouldn't call it torn up. It just isn't new and smooth. It isn't any worse but a little wider than the 160 through the 4 corners. Not too many other options.