cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yosemite to Lake Tahoe

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite to Lake Tahoe. I am pulling unit in my sig which is 41 ft. long. I see if I go over Tioga Pass I can go north on 395. Have never before been in this part of the country but I have been through many mountian ranges both west and east. Is Tioga Pass curvy or straight and is it doable. Going thru in August. Is there another way I should consider to Lake Tahoe. Thanks.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.
20 REPLIES 20

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, folks, I have towed on the 26 percent grade at Sonora Pass, both up and down, no problem. I first got clearance from a law enforcement officer at a local office that I will not name. My truck is 16 feet long, and so is my trailer (coupler to bumper). The officer told me that the combination should be fine on that grade and those turns.

The officer was right. I stayed in my lane the whole time, and had no trouble pulling up, and no trouble coming down. We boondocked for a week up at the pass -- heaven on earth, at 9500 feet.

Don't try this in anything larger, though! We saw an accident involving a commercial trailer -- nobody hurt, but a lot of vehicle damage.

By comparison, Tioga is a piece of cake -- excellent pullouts, and plenty of them. Eight percent.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

dedmiston
time2roll wrote:
Just stay off Sonora Pass (CA108) and Ebbetts Pass (CA4) as you will encounter 26% and 24% grades respectively.

"Vehicles over 25 feet"

25 feet? How adorable! :B

I have another 20' plus tow vehicle. I can't imagine towing on those grades though. Terrifying.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are coming into Yosemite from the west, and you want to see some country, then leaving via Tioga Pass makes a lot of sense. You get to see the high parts of Yosemite, and east side of the Sierras.

You'll have climb from 395 to Tahoe, but then you can leave via 89 to the north to I80. Then see Reno, and northern Nevada on the way to Idaho and Yellowstone. Or stick with 395 to Oregon and then east.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Sierras are steep in places. The range is a large fault block titled to the West. The east side is much steeper.
The most direct route would north to CA route 49. It is windy. but then you could take US Highway 50 or I-80 right to the lake.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Just stay off Sonora Pass (CA108) and Ebbetts Pass (CA4) as you will encounter 26% and 24% grades respectively.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bottom line -- you can't go wrong. In my opinion, having done that trip several times over several routes, I would take Tioga to 395. 120 goes through the High Sierra, which is amazing country. And the views along 395, the whole way, are jaw-dropping. Wide open country, huge mountains and valleys.

If there is any way you can spend some time in the Tuolumne Meadows area, do it. The same is true all the way north to Tahoe.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone I not concerned with the mountains per say. I am one of those experienced mountain drivers. The Ram has 2 exhaust brakes auto and manual. I have just never traveled through that part of our country thanks for all the advice. We are full timers and this is part of our 6 month summer trip.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
True story: We met 5 rigs in Yellowstone. Inexperienced mountain drivers and they took route 22 (10%+ grades) into Jackson. 3 were very relieved to see the sign in Wilson - Free coffee while we repair your brakes. And they left $2500 each.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
retispcsi wrote:
My first time in that part of the country. What I want to do is go from Yosemite to Lake Tahoe with the best and quickest route. I am coming into Yosemite from the west from Gilroy. I was looking at the map and trying to figure this out. After Tahoe it is on to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons. Thanks all info is appreciated.

Best is subjective. Quickest - 88 or 395 will be fairly close.

With your addition of heading to Yellowstone afterwards, I'll repeat my comment about unnecessary uphill/downhill.

395 - you will go up the Sierras, then down to 395. You will then go up the Sierras to Tahoe and back down to head to Yellowstone.

88 - you will go up the Sierras to Tahoe, then down to head to Yellowstone.

If you're not interested in stopping, etc., why do more up and down than necessary? Do it once and be done with it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Especially since you are concerned with going over the Sierras in the first place.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
My very first experience with an RV (rented) in 1976 was with a fully loaded class A RV with a big family and lotsa cargo. Went from Yosemite valley out Tioga pass, then up to Lake Tahoe.

I was very concerned but it turned out to be very easy, even with the summit almost 10,000 feet.

Now, with my Class C, reversed the route, but again no problems.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
395 is by far the prettier route. The kicker is the downhill on the east side.
Are you comfortable with mountain driving? Does your truck have a good engine brake?
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP,

Plan 2 routes and talk to the rangers for the final decision.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
10% seems high on the East side.

NPS says a few sections with 8%

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/restrictions.htm
Nice link. Google shows several area's with 10%+ grades.

But whatever the reality it's a long down hill grade.

I would likely avoid it at 40K lbs w/o the toad. But I only have the exhaust brake. With a engine brake I would not hesitate.

Bob

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
My first time in that part of the country. What I want to do is go from Yosemite to Lake Tahoe with the best and quickest route. I am coming into Yosemite from the west from Gilroy. I was looking at the map and trying to figure this out. After Tahoe it is on to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons. Thanks all info is appreciated.