cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zion to Hoover Dam

AGC
Explorer
Explorer
Driving from Zion to Hoover Dam and wanted to know which roads I should take to go to Arizona side of the Hoover Dam. Based on what I've read RV parking is on the Arizona side, so wanted to know best routes to take. After spending the day in Hoover Dam, we will be heading to Las Vegas.
6 REPLIES 6

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
Be prepared for a long wait on 172 getting through the inspection station and to the parking area. I was by there yesterday about noon and the traffic was backed up at least a mile.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are an Elks Lodge member, the Boulder City Lodge has a nice RV Park.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
There is no access to the RV parking areas from the highway in Arizona. Only by driving across the top of the dam. The old US-93 route on the AZ side is blocked.

Thanks for this note. I was not aware the road was closed.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you plan a day trip to Hoover Dam before going to Las Vegas.

Bad idea.

To visit Hoover Dam you have to go through the security checkpoint on NV-172. The ONLY way to get to where you can visit the dam is exiting US-93 at Exit 2 in Nevada.

You will have to drive down the steep twisty grade, drive across the dam with a couple hundred people walking inches from your RV, up another grade and park on the Arizona side of the dam.

There is no access to the RV parking areas from the highway in Arizona. Only by driving across the top of the dam. The old US-93 route on the AZ side is blocked.

Shortly after the security checkpoint is a parking lot for the new bridge access area. A very good exhibit on building the new bridge, and there is a walkway along the new bridge with a fantastic view of the dam.

It is almost 200 miles to the dam from Zion via I-15 -> I-515 -> US-93. That is going to take more than half the day. A two or three hour visit to the dam, and you will be getting to your Las Vegas campground very late.

Taking NV-169/ 167/ 147/ 166 along the Lake Mead west side is not a shorter distance, but is much slower due to the 45 mph speed zone in the National Recreation Area.

We made the Zion to Vegas trip last Nov. Frankly, the very best part of the Vegas area was two days we spent at Valley of Fires State Park northeast of Las Vegas. A must see stop in my opinion.

Also the drive through the Virgin River Canyon on I-15 where it cuts across the corner of Arizona is great. Wish we had been able to spend a night or two at BLM campground in the canyon.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like you will be traveling thru Las Vegas to get to the dam. Why not stay in one of the several RV Parks on Boulder Hwy and then drive over to the Dam.
Traveling East on 93 from Boulder City on the Nevada side, there is an exit that takes you to a parking area where you can park your car or RV and take a walk across the new bridge. Great views, don't miss it.
Then drive to the AZ side to park and walk across the Dam.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe change your thinking a little bit and stay at Lake Meade RV Village in Boulder City.

Get a lakeview site. It's a bit cooler there, and the view is spectacular.

There are a couple NP cg's there too, though not sure which have electric hook ups.

You will be much closer to Vegas when you're done with touristy stuff also.

If you're not planning on staying overnight, there are quite a bit of roadside lots to park the rv in Boulder City.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us