cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Acadia National Park - New Campground

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
Acadia NP is opening a new campground later this summer. Schoodic Woods Campground is over on the Schoodic Peninsula just southeast of Winter Harbor. It will have a total of 96 campsites: 34 RV sites, 50 tent and small RV sites and 12 hike-in sites. Some sites will have electric or electric/water hookups.

The Acadia NP website has the new campground opening on 1 Aug 2015 on a first-come/first-served basis for the rest of the season. However, heavy winter snow has delayed the scheduled opening until 1 September.

Beginning in 2016, the campground will be part of the National Recreation Reservation Service (NRRS) and will be open from May to Columbus Day.

Since Ocean Woods CG closed back in 2009, there has been no place to camp on the Schoodic Peninsula.

Ted H.
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13
15 REPLIES 15

southernsnow
Explorer
Explorer
This is such a beautiful area! We were just in Maine, and Schoodic Peninsula was a truly gorgeous area. From what I understand, the campsites along the water are commonly only electric and water due to environmental laws.

Mountainview campground has a outstanding placement on the water - but only water/electric near the water.

I would to be at the new campground - right now ?? if I could!
If anybody goes, please report!

cw2006
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.schoodicinstitute.org/campground/

The opening ceremony is next week, just in time for Labor Day and leaf season.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
wxtoad wrote:
Acadia NP is opening a new campground later this summer. Schoodic Woods Campground is over on the Schoodic Peninsula just southeast of Winter Harbor. It will have a total of 96 campsites: 34 RV sites, 50 tent and small RV sites and 12 hike-in sites. Some sites will have electric or electric/water hookups.

The Acadia NP website has the new campground opening on 1 Aug 2015 on a first-come/first-served basis for the rest of the season. However, heavy winter snow has delayed the scheduled opening until 1 September.

Beginning in 2016, the campground will be part of the National Recreation Reservation Service (NRRS) and will be open from May to Columbus Day.

Since Ocean Woods CG closed back in 2009, there has been no place to camp on the Schoodic Peninsula.

Ted H.

Any idea on the size of RV the "34 RV" sites will accommodate and how many amps the electric service is ? No mention on the park site that I saw.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Sunset Point Campground in Harrington is also a very nice place to spend some time, north of Bar Harbor and Schoodic. Last summer I ventured further north, to Cobscook Bay State Park, which for me was camping heaven.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
nice but a nogo if no reservations

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
Traceys seafood clickey

Also worth mentioning. When we stayed at Mountain view CG, we spent a lot of time traveling the northern coastal areas of Maine and New Brunswick. Travel was great as there was no Bar Harbor traffic. On several occasions, we spent hours traveling, and when we got back to the campground, we didnt feel like cooking. It was nice to be able to go right next door to enjoy fresh lobster, clams, fish and even some great ice cream!!!

The cg owners can tell you a shortcut to visit Bar Harbor without having to go near Ellsworth. Truly a great experience for us.
Full timing it since July 2012

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting news - thanks so much for posting it.

Monster9903
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. Acadia is one of my favorite places anywhere. The schoodic Peninsula is beautiful and really quiet compared to the Island.
Charlie & Robin
Daughter Sam and Son Nate
2000 Chevy Silverado
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X18D

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear they are creating another option though I am not glad of the $40/day fee for only water and electric.

Inexpensive compared to most of the other campgrounds around.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
weathershak wrote:
Mountain View Campground and cabins

There has always been a place to camp or stay in a cabin on Schoodic. Its a great place with nice owners. We enjoyed our 1 week stay.

Thanks for the correction.

Ted H.
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
Mountain View Campground and cabins

There has always been a place to camp or stay in a cabin on Schoodic. Its a great place with nice owners. We enjoyed our 1 week stay.
Full timing it since July 2012

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad to hear they are creating another option though I am not glad of the $40/day fee for only water and electric.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I camped at Ocean Wood for years and have missed the area very much. I was up there last fall and had a conversation with a local store owner about the new campground. As of then, there was no plan for a shower house within the campground, just like at Blackwoods. There was also no private shower facility in the area or any planned that he knew of. I hope one of the locals in Winter Harbor will seize the opportunity to create this business, similar to what is just outside of Blackwoods, but not as overpriced.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
That is one of the most beautiful areas of the park.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]