cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

America's first automated RV park

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Go to. Rvselfpark.com for additional information but there is a YouTube post from a texas couple that explains how it works.

I have no financial interest in this park but find it a interesting concept.
37 REPLIES 37

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
The problem with E-systems, they glitch or lose power on a Friday night, and get no service fix until Monday despite what claims the owner/manager make when you are talking to the video head. We all know ET never breaks down, but we all know ET always breaks down, and for whatever reason, it seems to happen during off-hours.

We prefer a live person, or as mentioned an Iron Ranger. Neither one breaks down.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't seem like a place I'd want to choose as a vacation, but for an overnight when full hookups were needed, it definitely fits the bill. We've paid more at KOA's for a quick overnight stay (10+ years ago). It would be nice if they had an eight hour rental for when we just want to get some rest and empty the waste tanks and refill the fresh water tank.

I like the contactless check-in. I've used it at Hotels in the recent past and it is nice not to have to wait in a line to check-in. No need to hold onto a key either, just use my phone.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
Ken, Very well said!
Betsy

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I really don't see what the appeal would be for the RVer. What do you gain staying at this place over a manned RV Park?

Likewise, I don't see any reason to avoid it. Except for the "anyone with a reservation can hook into the surveillance cameras and check things out" - as a woman, that makes me uncomfortable.

Outside of the manned vs not-manned, I might stay there as an overnight to recharge batteries, etc, but I don't like staying in parking lots and that's what it looks like to me. I prefer campgrounds over RV parks.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I just stated how I feel about it. Some have said it's expensive for what is offered despite the savings on labor. Kind of negates that argument. The few parks I have stayed at that had an "iron man" for the money were acceptably nice for my needs. I had no complaint and would stay at them again. Granted, if you want a resort then GO to a resort. I go to many of them myself. I just find the contactless everything online I don't want to interact with people thing to be detrimental to society. To each his own.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with Wapiticountry. Not sure I see the return on investment.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
bgum,

Well said. Especially on the pricing.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Clearly this type of RV park is not for those who are technologically challenged or those who are resistant to change.

For others it will fill a need. I feel they do need to get their pricing in line with services provided. No pool, internet, fire ring, showers or restrooms is not reflected in the price. If this was a resort area or near a venue that draws crowds it would be different its not.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Iron Man is usually stationed at a camground where we'd like to stay, as well. 🙂
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well said Ken56 as usual. I have always enjoyed placing money in the envelop and dropping it thru the slot or into the Iron Man. Most satisfying and part of my camping fun. Iron Man is your friend.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
wapiticountry, one advantage to the park owner is, however, no employee handling any cash or credit card. No theft or robberies.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
America's First Automated RV Park | RV Self Park

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Cat_Lady
Explorer
Explorer
The couple that posted this info was RV Texas Y’all. Here’s the link for that particular video the poster referred to America’s First Automated RV Park
As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure there is a net benefit to ownership. They still need employees to clean sites and restrooms, mow grass, do repairs etc. They would also need someone on call to handle emergencies and other issues that are time sensitive. Plus, without on site employees there is no security. They are exchanging the cost of a couple of employees for the added costs of all the automation and foregoing additional revenue streams such as cash customers and camp store sales.
There is always people looking for passive income opportunities and I suppose this concept might have traction if sold to investors that way. But anyone who has fallen for that pitch and bought laundromats, car washes and vending machines with ll tell you the truth is these fully automated businesses are anything but labor free.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
ken56 wrote:
bgum wrote:
Ken,
It is my understanding that you register online and then answer a email to turn on electricity and water and gain use of sewer. After your term expires water and electricity are cut off remotely.

If you think that compares to an envelope in a slot then to each his own.

Just an observation is all....seems to me to be needlessly "automated" when other ways already exist. All this online bill pay and no contact shopping and high tech mumbo jumbo is just another way to collect personal information. I dislike it but am forced to participate in it. Just like the self checkout at the store, I don't like it but I have used it. Same with bill pay, I don't like it but yes, it is convenient. All this no contact stuff isn't good for manners in society. A pleasant greeting and a smile go a long way. A please and a thank you go a long way. It' is the world we live in today so we must accept it and participate in some of it. I doubt that is some place I would stay though because they can't take our ability to choose away.

It's automated to save costs on labor. Labor is the biggest expense to most businesses.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS