cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any concern re: rattlesnakes at Catalina State Park, Tucson?

DHart
Explorer
Explorer
A friend told me to avoid Catalina State Park in Tucson due to rattlesnakes. He said people were freaking out about leaving their RVs at night because rattlers are protected there and finding them in the campground isn't uncommon.

Any one have any experience with this?
=======================
2016 Newmar Bay Star 3124
11 REPLIES 11

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
In that part of the country, there are a lot of things crawling and walking around at night that don't necessarily have scales. Just saying. . . ๐Ÿ˜‰
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
And the majority of rattlesnake bites - or at least a great portion of them - are on the arms. Duhhh.

No, Catalina is not a haven for them. Been there a few times and have never seen or heard one.

I have encountered six in the 12 years we have lived here - 4 were on golf courses. Kinda. If I had stayed in the fairway I would not have seen them! ๐Ÿ™‚

And none in all the years we visited here before moving here.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Park ranger at Saguaro National Park told us that the vast majority of rattlesnake bite victims are males under 25 - guess why!

Watch where you put your hands and feet and use a flashlight at night in the warm weather.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

DHart
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments.

Yes, I live in the desert (edge of Tonto National Forest) at the far NE edge of Scottsdale (county, out of city limits) and have had several experiences with rattlers on or about my property, so I'm not new to rattlers. Just curious about what I've heard about rattlers at Catalina.

It sounds like people really enjoy Catalina. I'm looking forward to staying there.
=======================
2016 Newmar Bay Star 3124

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, rattlesnakes are at Catalina....and everywhere else in Arizona and a lot of the West. Millions of people live here. I see 'Scottsdale' in your Profile. They are there, too. ๐Ÿ™‚ Our grandkids live there and walk to school. They've seen rattlers on the pavement.

However, they don't travel in packs and they don't chase you down. Carry a flashlight at night; be aware of your surroundings; don't sit or put your hands anywhere that you can't check it out first.

Other than that....have fun!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Briteskys
Explorer
Explorer
'02 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Ron & Jane's Travels

scroller95969
Explorer
Explorer
When we were there in March. I saw this one not 50 ft. from the closest campsite:

It was hidden from view on the trail coming from one direction and we walked within 6 ft. of it. Glad we always keep a short leash on our dog.
One camper had one under their picnic bench while they outside not 5 ft. away from it. Heard there were numerous other sightings in the campground in the three days we were there. We just kept an eye out, watched where we stepped and stayed on the trails and in open areas. We've stayed there about a dozen times in the last 4 years and this is the first time I have seen one or heard anyone else talking about them. I think they are more abundant this year because there were thousands of those little ground hogs (or whatever they're called) roaming through all the camps.
Jeff & Lori
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 22B - Chevy chassis
10' Wells cargo trailer
Gracie Mae - our 9 year old Papillon

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Well, this is the desert. One must remember that almost everything here wants to sting, stick, bite or kill you. other than that it's great. have seen snakes all over but they prefer to avoid you. Keep the dogs on a leash and use a flashlight in the dark. It's a beautiful park and we go there to hike all the time.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
This is southern Arizona; you might encounter a rattlesnake most anyplace - particularly in the summer. Rare occasion though.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Sourdough_Biscu
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed there a couple years ago, but it was during the winter. So, less snake activity. Did we receive any "warnings" about staying inside at night? Nope. My wife DID see a snake on a hike (gopher snake?).

Time of year & personal comfort levels vary greatly....

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is desert
It is only 2,650' elevation

SO YES.....there can be rattlers, Gopher snakes, Gila Monsters, desert tortoise, tarantula, and scorpions!

Call the park directly for concerns
(520) 628-5798.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31