cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

any experience at Wilderness Camp at Disney???

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, curious if anyone has every camped in the Wilderness campground with pets?? Dogs or Cats?? In trying to get info about how much they want to screw me for on top of there already ridiculous rates, I'm told I pay 5.00 a night extra for each dog each night and told that I cannot have a cat. A cat that stays IN my rv and does not come out. Just curious if anyone has every been with with cats before. Right now I'm going to tell them where they can stick there campground, but wanted to see if anyone else has had a problem with this.
56 REPLIES 56

dedmiston
Closing this thread from last December. The OP appears to have found what she (he?) was looking for and has left the discussion.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
luvmydogs wrote:
Well you know I just get really tired of campgrounds soaking people for every singe penny they can get. We've been on the road now since May and I will have to say when we find a home, the RV is going away. It's just not what it used to be. My aggravation is charging enough that they should give you a actual ROOM, and then slamming you with more money because you have a pet. The pet DOES NOT cost the campground anything extra. And certainly a cat IN the rv that never comes out costs them nothing.But these campgrounds continue to soak campers.Was curious as to weather this campground searched you vehicle for anything else they can charge you for. Sorry, but I'm on my last nerve trying just to camp without going broke. I agree with the poster who said a night or 2 was enough in this campground.

I only wanted to stay there so I could go to the park and get back and forth easily to my dogs who will be in the camper.

I would only add that if you are new to coming to FL and/or planning this trip during the "summer months" you must be aware that the temps in FL are consistency around 94 degrees. RV's ac cannot keep an RV at a comfortable temp sitting out in the sun. Without a LOT of added insulating to all windows, roof vents, etc.

If there is an electrical failure within the park or your RV trips a breaker and the ac shuts off. It takes less than 10 minutes if not shorter for the RV to become a death trap for pets. Just a friendly fyi.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
BayMom wrote:
luvmydogs wrote:
I can assure you paying more does not make irresponsible pet owners responsible pet owners. They should also put poop bags out which helps those who are lazy and dont pick up. Then if you cannot pick up, they need to kick them out.

There is a dog park next to Cottontail Loop (there might even be more then 1, that's the 1 I'm familar with), and there are poop bag stations in/around the property, except in the non-pet-friendly loops.

All of the loops are now pet friendly and they all have the bag dispensers installed.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

BayMom
Explorer
Explorer
luvmydogs wrote:
I can assure you paying more does not make irresponsible pet owners responsible pet owners. They should also put poop bags out which helps those who are lazy and dont pick up. Then if you cannot pick up, they need to kick them out.

There is a dog park next to Cottontail Loop (there might even be more then 1, that's the 1 I'm familar with), and there are poop bag stations in/around the property, except in the non-pet-friendly loops.

BayMom
Explorer
Explorer
soren wrote:
suprz wrote:
Too expensive, does NOT live up to the hype

Having been a loyal customer at FW for the last two decades, I occasionally wonder when Disney leadership is going to pull the plug on the whole place. It's located on prime property, and I doubt it generates the return of other high end lodging located on the lake. It's a valid concern, with the long abandoned water park, immediately adjacent, being replaced with a huge timeshare facility. I can see the day when some executive asks, " If Fort wilderness brings such a poor ROI, and our internal data shows that our camping guests spend much less on their vacation experience as those who stay in our high end properties, why are we wasting prime property on them?"

Usually the aspects of the parks that Walt invisioned before his death are safe from re-imagineering, at least that's where I find comfort as Fort Wilderness is my favorite Disney resort! Fort Wilderness was in Walt's original plans ๐Ÿ™‚ and is 1 of the best kept WDW secrets. We've had camping neighbors that were staying offsite, and only using their campground for parking, included magicbands, extra magic hours and ability to buy the dining plan. I think this misuse is what drives up the cost of the campground during the off season.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
luvmydogs wrote:

No it doesn't make them responsible, but it does create a fund to pay for the problems they create. A CG cannot tell a responsible pet owner from an irresponsible owner at check in.
But they can charge ALL pet owners to establish a clean up /nuisance fund. Afterall all dogs are going to leave a pile somewhere the issue is who is going to clean it up. Those without dogs/pets are exempt from paying.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I remember the days when only certain loops were pet loops. Now it seems all loops are pet loops or the ones that arenโ€™t are because of irresponsible pet owners. I once stepped in some **** and tracked it across my patio rug and into my TT and that was back in the day when only certain loops were pet friendly and I wasnโ€™t in a pet loop. I love dogs, itโ€™s the irresponsible owners I have a problem with. If you want to bring your dog you should pay a little more.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
luvmydogs wrote:
Jon Walter, there are other campgrounds that take pets and dont charge extra for them. The others are MUCH cheaper and very easy to get to. Yes you might have to pay for parking going to the parks, but even with that I saved a bunch. But for those who want to stay on Disney property, its your only choice. I'm sorry though, I have a problem with campgrounds who charge for pets. I have to pay for my pets to walk on there ground? Ridiculous. Now I would totally agree with those who abuse the campground with pets like those who dont clean up after them, or tie them outside or let them run loose. Fine them or make them leave, but stop punishing other pet parents who take care of there pets and stop charging for them.

I see the pet issue another way. Don't get me wrong irresponsible pet owners ruin it for the rest however the CG has to monitor and cleaning up after the pets. Ultimately the pets create issues that the CG has to deal with. Should the CG eat these cost? Should all campers pay these cost? Should pet owners pay these cost? Should pets be banned?
I have no issue paying more for my pet if that fee helps keep the CG pet friendly for everyone

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Jon Walter, there are other campgrounds that take pets and dont charge extra for them. The others are MUCH cheaper and very easy to get to. Yes you might have to pay for parking going to the parks, but even with that I saved a bunch. But for those who want to stay on Disney property, its your only choice. I'm sorry though, I have a problem with campgrounds who charge for pets. I have to pay for my pets to walk on there ground? Ridiculous. Now I would totally agree with those who abuse the campground with pets like those who dont clean up after them, or tie them outside or let them run loose. Fine them or make them leave, but stop punishing other pet parents who take care of there pets and stop charging for them.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
soren wrote:
Pirate wrote:
I would actually like to see them expand the fort. Lots of undeveloped land around the lake.

I agree, they could expand it by 50% and still get close to keeping the place fully booked. OTOH, we just spent an entire boat ride, from FW to the Magic Kingdom, talking to a first mate. She was a lifer, who started in the eighties. She had a lot of interesting info. about the history of the region, and claimed that there is a lot of Disney property locked up in preservation agreements, including waterfront.

The other interesting observation about FW, is that there has been very little effort to upgrade much of anything in the last few decades. Lots of high quality maintenance, and modest upgrading of things like bath houses, but no real drive to capture a lot of missed opportunities. IMHO, a family oriented casual restaurant, an ice cream shop and a coffee cafe would all be extremely popular, and profitable. There has to be a pretty compelling reason that a corporation like KOA makes every effort to monetize every single opportunity (cafe, bike rental, zip-line, ice cream parlor, etc....) in their premium properties, yet Disney doesn't lift a finger, when it comes to lost potential.

It would suck, but seeing an announcement that Disney is planning to close the Fort, in the future, wouldn't surprise me in the least.

DIsney has a great well stocked camp store and there is a restaurant and coffee shop on site as well. However at some point I imagine disney wants you to explore and see all of the other properties parks and shops. Unlike a KOA The CG while fantastic is not the main attraction.
Disney can make more profit if they get campers to leave the CG for one of their more lucrative attractions/facilities.

JonWalter
Explorer
Explorer
Hi .I'm new here . I'm also I am planning on staying 10 days at Fort Wilderness. I found the is when I googled our topic. Not sure if it is up to date. I would call ahead and ask before bringing a pet. "Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground โ€“ This is the only accommodations owned by Disney that pets are allowed. Pets are not allowed in non-air-conditioned cars or tents. Guests staying in pet-designated campsite loops can let their canine pals roam and romp off leash in Wagginโ€™ Trails Dog Park, except for the grill zones
. Pet walk areas are also located throughout the campground."

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt the Fort will ever close. In the last year, they tore down a number of cabins to make another CG loop. As stated before, the more people who donโ€™t like the Fort gives me more opportunity to get a site. I like others, will not stay at the resorts because I just like the camping experience and yes it may be expensive to stay but it is still cheaper than the resorts.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

soren
Explorer
Explorer
Pirate wrote:
I would actually like to see them expand the fort. Lots of undeveloped land around the lake.

I agree, they could expand it by 50% and still get close to keeping the place fully booked. OTOH, we just spent an entire boat ride, from FW to the Magic Kingdom, talking to a first mate. She was a lifer, who started in the eighties. She had a lot of interesting info. about the history of the region, and claimed that there is a lot of Disney property locked up in preservation agreements, including waterfront.

The other interesting observation about FW, is that there has been very little effort to upgrade much of anything in the last few decades. Lots of high quality maintenance, and modest upgrading of things like bath houses, but no real drive to capture a lot of missed opportunities. IMHO, a family oriented casual restaurant, an ice cream shop and a coffee cafe would all be extremely popular, and profitable. There has to be a pretty compelling reason that a corporation like KOA makes every effort to monetize every single opportunity (cafe, bike rental, zip-line, ice cream parlor, etc....) in their premium properties, yet Disney doesn't lift a finger, when it comes to lost potential.

It would suck, but seeing an announcement that Disney is planning to close the Fort, in the future, wouldn't surprise me in the least.