cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any one else giving up snow birding due to the covid

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
We own our own rv spot in Key Largo, Fl, but will be staying right here in the high country of NC until it is safe to go.
Our county here has only a total of five deaths and just a few hundred cases, while our county there has a few thousand cases.
It is a no brainer for us !

Guy
138 REPLIES 138

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Stay home? No way. Wife and I have been travelling the country and when home I've been working our monthly RV shows and delivering motorhomes. This bug isn't going to slow us down. From what we've seen on our travels it isn't slowing anyone else down either. We went to Branson for the 4th of July and the place was packed. Thousands of people gathering for our country's birthday. Later we went to Utah and Colorado for some RZR riding and socializing and those places were packed. We just got back from the Mt Rushmore area and Sault Ste Marie, MI and those places were also packed. Had a wonderful summer travelling and working and meeting new friends. No one I know or met had or has the bug. Seems the best remedy is to carry on and live life to the fullest.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
moisheh wrote:
As much as it is killing me to stay home in the cold we will be staying put. Things are changing quickly. It is so bad in some of the hot spots that it would be next to impossible to isolate. If you did get sick the health systems would not be able to handle the volumes of sick people.Anyone thinking of going south should wait and monitor the situation. Maybe it will improve by February.

Yep. I hear ya. At our place in Palm Springs California they just went back to purple rating which is not good. All pools and Gyms being closed again in our community there. We are also looking at the Feb time frame now. Our back up plans for the Costa del Sol in Spain are off as it is not going well there either. Trying to get info on how things are going in the canaries but an island is probably not a good place to be stuck if the second wave gets out of hand.

Meh. The Chihuahua is curled up in front of the fireplace. He's adapting, I'm sure we can. Maybe need to pick up an extra case of Don Simone to get us through.

🙂

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
Seriously?

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
Good. I’ll send you a postcard from my spot in Key West after Thanksgiving.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
As much as it is killing me to stay home in the cold we will be staying put. Things are changing quickly. It is so bad in some of the hot spots that it would be next to impossible to isolate. If you did get sick the health systems would not be able to handle the volumes of sick people.Anyone thinking of going south should wait and monitor the situation. Maybe it will improve by February.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
We are 80+% sure to be heading back to Florida after Thanksgiving barring any unforeseen situations. We're in a more rural area of FL and feel we can lay low down there just as easily as here in Michigan. In fact, being able to get out and exercise in the fresh, and warmer, air is better for us than being indoors much of the time in the northern colder climate.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
staying put. I see a lot of people flying down. Not too bright IMO with a second wave building

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
We ended up staying at our park in Mesa because Dave had complications from open heart surgery and it was mid-July before we could have thought about traveling, and we had to be back by mid-Sept for more medical tests/appointments. Just wasn't worth it.

Everyone around here is now wearing masks. We don't do things like congregating in groups - would you do that at your current place? Sun is out, weather is cooling (not the summer to spend here, records of all kinds set) and we go about our lives. I'm sewing masks for daughter (who teaches special ed) and while we do miss not being able to go to concerts, not being somewhere cold for the winter is worth practicing our mask wearing, hand washing, physical distancing steps to keep is safe. We go through through horrible mess in July with the virus, we just keep doing the right things and will be all right.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Guy Roan wrote:
We own our own rv spot in Key Largo, Fl, but will be staying right here in the high country of NC until it is safe to go.
Our county here has only a total of five deaths and just a few hundred cases, while our county there has a few thousand cases.
It is a no brainer for us !

Guy

I wonder what the percentage rate of infection is, not just the total. You may find that where you plan on staying is more infected than your Florida location. It is not just the number of infections or deaths. Example: the population where you are is 2,000, but there have been 1,000 infections and 100 deaths. The population in your area in Florida is 200,000 with the same 1,000 infections and 100 deaths. It is easy to see in this example where one would be safer.

Good suggestion

My wife just did the math for both places, and in Key Largo there is fifty percent more than where we are now in the NC high country. Needless to say we have made the correct decision to stay here

Guy

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I am pleased that the post was removed. No need for that kind of post.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shot-N-Az wrote:
I made a post in this thread and used the term “Chinese virus”. The post is gone. Would someone claiming to be a moderator please do me the courtesy of informing me why my post was deleted?

I can’t even count how many times a moderator has reminded folks political equals deleted.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Shot-N-Az wrote:
I made a post in this thread and used the term “Chinese virus”. The post is gone. Would someone claiming to be a moderator please do me the courtesy of informing me why my post was deleted?

Seriously. You can’t figure that out? The virus name commonly used is COVID. Rewrite your message using that. Maybe they’ll leave it.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
We're living in our rig so we don't have much choice. We headed south and south we will stay until about March or April. I don't have many risk factors so I take basic precautions and hope for the best. If I get "coronatized", well, we all have an 'expiration date'. I've had 64 years of good health. That's more than a lot of people.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
I came home early, in March. I think I will be going south again, but a few months later than usual. And I won't go as far as I usually do from my S&B.

That's partly due to where covid is under control and where it isn't. It's partly about not wanting to be very far from my parents, because they are older. And the timing, leaving later than usual, is because I want to wait and see what happens after the election.

I feel like I need to be near my family, in uncertain times.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We are staying home in Wa St 19 winters (6 months) in Casa Grande Az. Hope next winter will let us travel. Wife's badly broken leg in January also is a reason for not traveling. Be safe everybody. chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110