cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Austin, TX

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Visiting Austin for first time. May 29-31. Looking for an RV campground. Also what to do or see while there? We are traveling with no children just a small dog. We will be coming from Corpus Christi.
I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!
15 REPLIES 15

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry it took me so long to get back to my question. First thanks everyone for all the info on where to stay in Austin. Unfortunately we decided to pass on going. We were in Corpus Christi and they had a tornado, lots of rain and Austin and San Antonio had all the flooding. We decided to head back home early because of road closings etc. Next year we will go. Thanks again.

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Mckinney Falls SP is not very far from the Austin Lone Star RV resort and a much nicer setting. Of course, it's not on the freeway right behind an adult video megastore like the Lone Star RV park, either.:E
2017 Thor Compass 23TR last RV
MV-1 Mobility ventures wheelchair van
DH+DW 36+ years
Millie the fawn brindle greyhound

jloftin60
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Austin Lone Star Resort. As other posted, it was a gated facility and close to downtown, 6th st.
We found the Congress Avenue Bridge Bats breath taking. Go to Trip Advisor and read about them.
6th. St is a college crowd, bar hop, type type place. Be careful where you park, they will ticket you.
A lot of construction and the traffic can get crazy, so timing is a must when RVing through Austin.
John & Becky
2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE
2015 Chevy Traverse

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
NevadaJim wrote:
We stayed at Austin Lone Star right off I35 exit 228 north bound or 227 south bound good location to all city locations. We were here for a graduation at St. Edwards which was held at U of Texas. They also had a nice dog run . Have fun

that is the one that I stayed at, was passport america at the time. nice bath house/showers/etc.
bumpy

NevadaJim
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Austin Lone Star right off I35 exit 228 north bound or 227 south bound good location to all city locations. We were here for a graduation at St. Edwards which was held at U of Texas. They also had a nice dog run . Have fun

Hunter11
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are going to use the toll road to go around Austin on the East side and avoid the I35 nightmare we have some friends that have stayed at Oak Forest RV Park on the East side of Austin and said it was a nice place.

http://www.oakforest-rvpark.com/
2017 Chevrolet 3500 4DR LTZ DRW LWB 4X4 D/A
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4DR
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions I will check out these places. We plan on seeing I guess its 6th street. Not sure what's all there. We will be heading back from Corpus Christi to Altus, OK from there. Never have been to Austin. Just want safe place don't know the area. Sounds like the state parks are the recommendation so far. Don't want to be too far out because of the dog.

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Mountain Mama wrote:
We like McKinney SP. it's close to town but seems like it's in the country, but it may be booked. You can tour the capital & go to the Bob Bullock museum, but not sure of hours on weekends. Just Google things to do in Austin!

McKinney Falls does have some 50 amp sites, and is in a perfect location to tour the area. No sewer or TV connections, but plenty of RF TV signals if that's important.

Other day-trip things to see are Pedernales Falls SP near Johnson City (walk down to the falls!), the LBJ Ranch and Sauer-Beckmann living history farm (free entry unless you want the $3 ranger-led tour of the Johnson ranch house). Inks Lake SP was already mentioned, and there's the world-famous pies in Marble Falls at the Blue Bonnet Cafe.
2017 Thor Compass 23TR last RV
MV-1 Mobility ventures wheelchair van
DH+DW 36+ years
Millie the fawn brindle greyhound

Hunter11
Explorer II
Explorer II
How close into Austin do you want to be?
2017 Chevrolet 3500 4DR LTZ DRW LWB 4X4 D/A
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4DR
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
When we were there for the first F1 race we stayed at Lake Falling Star. Really nice park with friendly hosts.

Really good pizza place right down the road and don't miss the Barbecue in Lockhart!
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
inks state park in bernett

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
We like McKinney SP. it's close to town but seems like it's in the country, but it may be booked. You can tour the capital & go to the Bob Bullock museum, but not sure of hours on weekends. Just Google things to do in Austin!
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eastview RV Ranch in Georgtown, TX Right next to I-130? 85mphtoll road to Austin bout 20 minutes. Great price, family owned, very nice. Check out their web site.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Yoou might try RV Park Revieiews to search around Austin.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272