cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beach front vacation ideas

Headed_West
Explorer
Explorer
The DW and I are trying to plan our fall vacation. We are wanting a beach vacation by the ocean within 2 days drive from Indianapolis. We are considering Hilton Head but the reviews about the island and big trucks ive read do not sound good. Does anyone have other places or spots next to the ocean they can recommend? We are trying to avoid driving all the way to Florida. Mobile Alabama is also up for consideration.
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 30RLI
32 REPLIES 32

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Cool. Make sure you visit The Donut Hole for Sunday breakfast.

Headed_West
Explorer
Explorer
Update......
We got the last site at Camp Gulf in Destin FL. Thank's everyone for your posts. I now have a lot of places I have added to the bucket list.

Looking forward to a warm beach vacation in the fall.
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 30RLI

charming
Explorer
Explorer
sgfrye wrote:
we live in north carolina and fortunate to have the mountains and coast to enjoy. fall is great weather here. love the outerbanks and there are options for oceanfront but keep in mind there will be a large sand dune that will probably block a ground level view of the beach and surf. we stayed at koa cape hatteras last year with a site against the dunes and not only could hear the waves from the camper, was about a 30 second walk thru walkway over dune onto beach. in november the campground was maybe 1/4 full. outerbanks are great to get away and relax. very quiet and peaceful. myrtle beach area and south is different but good also. the private camgrounds will have close together sites but may not be bad in fall. myrtle beach state park and huntington beach state park just south of myrtle beach can't be beat. short walk to the beach from campsites. more to do in those areas away from the campground. book out several months if you can because these 2 parks are popular year round. snow birds... wife and i were at huntington beach state park 2 weeks ago for a long weekend and the park was probably 80 to 90 percent full.

Good to know about the KOA.

^^ about Huntington being booked. We were trying to get a spot for a few days last spring and could not get into a full service space, that was before the new area opened at the south end.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
we live in north carolina and fortunate to have the mountains and coast to enjoy. fall is great weather here. love the outerbanks and there are options for oceanfront but keep in mind there will be a large sand dune that will probably block a ground level view of the beach and surf. we stayed at koa cape hatteras last year with a site against the dunes and not only could hear the waves from the camper, was about a 30 second walk thru walkway over dune onto beach. in november the campground was maybe 1/4 full. outerbanks are great to get away and relax. very quiet and peaceful. myrtle beach area and south is different but good also. the private camgrounds will have close together sites but may not be bad in fall. myrtle beach state park and huntington beach state park just south of myrtle beach can't be beat. short walk to the beach from campsites. more to do in those areas away from the campground. book out several months if you can because these 2 parks are popular year round. snow birds... wife and i were at huntington beach state park 2 weeks ago for a long weekend and the park was probably 80 to 90 percent full.

cindik
Explorer
Explorer
Ft. Pickens is a good choice, just the drive to the campground is beautiful. Henderson Beach or Topsail Hill both have beautiful beaches, although I know you didnโ€™t want to drive to Fl.
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR SOLDIERS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
THE ONLY THING HARDER THAN BEING A SOLDIER, IS LOVING ONE

Our Photos

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot edit your post. Quote this post and see how I reduced the OP's pic.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Busskipper wrote:
Deleted

Tried to get the photo to fit.

Put width=640 before the end tag

:S

Could you insert it into Post 8 and 11:)

I tried to no avail.

Page one of this thread is VERY LARGE,

:R
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
Deleted

Put width=640 before the end tag
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Airdaile wrote:
Lantley wrote:
MD/DE will not be warm in the fall.

I guess that depends on your definition of warm. The OP is from Indiana.

yes I understand they're varying definitions of warm.but it's just as easy for the OP to get to the Panhandle beaches,
or the South Carolina beaches where his chances of finding warm are much better.
I'm in Maryland I know the OP can do better than MD warm.
I enjoy Maryland and Delaware beaches very much however in the fallor early spring I will leave and drive to the Carolinas for warmer weather.
coming from Indiana is just as easy to reach the Carolinas as it is to reach Maryland.the Panhandle is a little farther but the warm weather reward is even greater.:D
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
MD/DE will not be warm in the fall.

I guess that depends on your definition of warm. The OP is from Indiana.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
If I'm driving 800 miles or so to the beach. My first priority would be for it to be at least a little warm. MD/DE will not be warm in the fall. North Carolina will most likely be OK but still a little cool.
I would shoot for Myrtle Beach or the panhandle. Hilton Head will also be warm.
Based on the time of year. I would choose the easiest drive between Myrtle vs. the panhandle area.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

donut_dave
Explorer
Explorer
I vote for cape hatteras. you won't be disappointed. plenty of activities near the north end. relax and beach on the rest. be sure to book a ferry back to the mainland from Ocracoke.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Another option is Ft. Pickens-Gulf Islands National Seashore at Pensacola. The drive is same distance as to Dauphin Island. I have been there several times and the beaches are fantastic, and again, some good seafood eating (I am not, however, a seafood person).

Lots of stuff to see and do in the area, including the Naval Aviation Museum at Sherman Field-Pensacola NAS. Near the museum is Big Lagoon State Park which is good camping and walking trails, and easy access to Johnson Beach, also part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore.

If you have an America the Beautiful Pass or Senior pass, you will save the $20 fee at Pickens and Johnson Beach.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.