Explorer
Explorer
Hey everybody

Looking for info on any of these campgrounds:

Edisto Beach SP
Myrtle Beach SP
Hunting Island SP
Huntington Beach SP

Basically just wondering about any tips, preferred sites, etc. I know there are tons of private CGs in the Myrtle Beach area but we're looking for something mellower, just 2 adults no kids, small popup TC and small budget.

Unfortunately our timeframe is mid-April which coincides with Spring Break so a lot of the sites are already booked. Myrtle Beach SP has the most still available though looking at pics they seem really close together?

We will probably be coming down through Western NC and thinking about staying at either Hamilton Branch SP or Calhoun SP on the way there. We don't need hookups so boon docking would be fine too.

We've been through Savannah and Pawleys Island before but this would be our first trip down there with the camper. Any advice is much appreciated!
41 REPLIES 41

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at several SC parks along the coast. Here are links to our reviews with pictures and comments on the ones we have visited:

Edisto Beach SP

Myrtle Beach SP

Huntington Beach SP

Buck Hall USFS

WxToad
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

roadtoadflorida
Explorer
Explorer
I was just at Edisto Beach State Park Live Oaks campground for 5 days. The beach section was booked, but my wife and brother in his RV, we all liked Live Oak. Plenty of shade, secluded sites. Not crowded at all. Many sites open. Elec & Water. Dump station is across the road from Live Oak campground. Bath houses were nice. The water is something else. It is clean, no smell, but has a distinct salinity taste to it and when in the shower the water feels "slippery". Best way I can describe it. So we used bottled water for coffee and cooking. You can take your own water jug and refill it at the town water plant, located next to the town hall. No need to pay for filtered water at the BI-LO Easy Ice kiosk. Now- The "Pig" has been replaced by BI-LO. and I was shocked to see some of the sale prices they had there. very very nice prices. Bud Light, case, $13.50. Some items are more, but they have a select few to feed. Plus their small Deli offers breakfast foods and lunch and dinner foods. For a store so small, they foot the bill. Check out Botany Bay preserve while there. We were in Spot 96. My brother has dogs. He got 3 ticks on himself and I'm sure they came off the dogs as the dogs have tick medicine. So look for ticks, Did not appear to be the tiny-deer ticks. Somewhat larger. Going into CHS, drive to Citadel Mall, park and ride there on Savannah HWY bus route #30 and the ride is 85 cents for seniors exact change. Lot less hassle then driving downtown CHS and then finding a place to park. Takes about 30 min from the mall to King Street. Buses run about every 40 min. but always check schedule. Take the sunset cruise eco tour with Cpt Anderson and Meg. Great trip on a 24FT Skiff. No latrines on board. Nay questions ask.
Ken and Pat
CB Handle: "Road Toad" Channel 19
2011 Flagstaff 30 FT TT
2015 Ford F250 4x4 Crew Cab
Okaloosa County, Florida

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
VE3ESN wrote:

The convenience of the Piggly Wiggly is a real plus for Edisto.

Just an Edisto Beach update, but the Piggly Wiggly is gone, replaced by a Bi-Lo. Still a nice smaller grocery store though, with reasonable prices for the most part, given their relatively captive market. And the Sea Cow Eatery still serves a really good breakfast. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
A must see is The Mammoth Site.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Edisto is VERY nice. Has sites just across the dunes, and a pier. However there are 2 section of the park. AS I say one on the beach, and one a 1/2 mile or so back. You don't want to be back there.

Word to the wise. Edisto is a lightly developed area, Not a lot of stores. Does have Piggly Wiggly. So take what you need

The last time we were at the ocean-front section of Edisto, the park seemed to have deteriorated compared to our earlier stays there, and the internal roads had many huge potholes. The bathrooms were in serious need of updating. Of course, the ocean ambiance and the sea shells are a big positive for Edisto. The drinking water was as salty as ever, so take your containers to the fire station in town and fill up with great-tasting reverse osmosis water. The convenience of the Piggly Wiggly is a real plus for Edisto.

The other park we quite like is Myrtle Beach SP which has a Food Lion across Rt. 17 and is an easy bike ride. Huntington Beach is also very nice and the castle tour is worthwhile. Lots of great eating in the Murrells Inlet area - we liked "Drunken Jacks" a lot. You're away from the hustle and bustle of Myrtle Beach, but when you're in MBSP, you're unaware (except for the jets from the nearby airport) that you're so close to Myrtle Beach.

Finally, Hunting Island is a fabulous park, but even more remote than Edisto for shopping. Riding a bike along the hard-packed ocean floor when the tide is out is great fun, and the "Jungle Trail" is surprisingly tropical. In fact, the Viet Nam war scene from "Forrest Gump" was filmed there.

All four SC ocean-front parks are worthwhile destinations, but Edisto has sunk to the bottom of our list even though it used to be our #1 pick.
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The view out our front window from site #22 at Edisto Beach SP:

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
What do you know...a site opened last night for Edisto's beach loop. Got it!
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
James Island

While it is a great park, not exactly a "beach park"
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I was about to reserve at Huntington Beach SP and then realized they are priced at $55 a night! Why so high for a SP? Hunting island is $35 or so...

I'm in the process of reserving a 3 week trip starting at Hunting Island and heading north as far as Wilmington. Not easy to get sites. Unless you take sites in the woods / bugs.

I usually reserve much sooner, but this 3 week block was a late surprise for us.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

jayco304
Explorer
Explorer
Sitting here now. I measured it...16ft from back of trailer to water at high tide.
Please visit www.cram-a-lot-inn.com to learn more about our travel adventures.

2000 F350 7.3PSD
2010 Jayco 324BHDS Travel Trailer

maroua
Explorer
Explorer
Hunting Island was one of our best beach camping experiences ever. Fabulous wide beach, for campers only. Day use area a bit removed. Shady sites. Would go back...
2014 Dodge RAM 1500 Bighorn 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 axle
2014 KZ Spree LX 280 RLS

"Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you." -
-- Lao Tzu

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
jayco 304 - which beach campground are you talking about? Hunting Island?

If so, I have stayed in 52, 54 and 40 in that area. None of the sites in the beach front loops are large. You will be within 25' of your neighbor...at least. You will have at least 15-20 feet on each side, but that is it. Larger than your regular beach front parks, but not as much room as you get on the further loops.

That said, those beach front sites are great and on that end, you don't have as much foot traffic as you do in the other loop or in the lower #'d sites.

If it's not Hunting Island, then I probably can't help you.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

jayco304
Explorer
Explorer
Okay does anyone have experience or recent knowledge of site #47 on the beach? How it as far as neighbors? Getting in and out for 35ft TT? Level? Anyone have photos other than the ones on the popular photo for campsites website?
Please visit www.cram-a-lot-inn.com to learn more about our travel adventures.

2000 F350 7.3PSD
2010 Jayco 324BHDS Travel Trailer

TriumphGuy
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
TriumphGuy wrote:
be careful with some of the sites. Almost as if someone purposely designed them to be back-in from the wrong direction, with trees strategically placed to pull off your slide topper. I watched it happen when a big 5er came in next to me back then.

Dyslexic park designer maybe??

Seems like it. When we first started out with our TT we camped in quite a few of SC state parks ... and realized that many of the CGs are this way. SC park campgrounds could really use a redesign and updates. Now we end up driving over to GA for their nicer parks.
2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA (Mack); 2015 VW GTI (Lightning - toad); 2008 Acura MDX SH-AWD (Sally).
Any opinions are my own and not my employer's.
Missing the towing days: 2000 Ford F250 (Trusty Horse)
Follow us (BusyDadRVLife) on YouTube