Explorer
Explorer
Hey everybody

Looking for info on any of these campgrounds:

Edisto Beach SP
Myrtle Beach SP
Hunting Island SP
Huntington Beach SP

Basically just wondering about any tips, preferred sites, etc. I know there are tons of private CGs in the Myrtle Beach area but we're looking for something mellower, just 2 adults no kids, small popup TC and small budget.

Unfortunately our timeframe is mid-April which coincides with Spring Break so a lot of the sites are already booked. Myrtle Beach SP has the most still available though looking at pics they seem really close together?

We will probably be coming down through Western NC and thinking about staying at either Hamilton Branch SP or Calhoun SP on the way there. We don't need hookups so boon docking would be fine too.

We've been through Savannah and Pawleys Island before but this would be our first trip down there with the camper. Any advice is much appreciated!
41 REPLIES 41

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
TriumphGuy wrote:
be careful with some of the sites. Almost as if someone purposely designed them to be back-in from the wrong direction, with trees strategically placed to pull off your slide topper. I watched it happen when a big 5er came in next to me back then.

Dyslexic park designer maybe??
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

TriumphGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Late to the party - but unless things have changed since we've been to HI years ago, be careful with some of the sites. Almost as if someone purposely designed them to be back-in from the wrong direction, with trees strategically placed to pull off your slide topper. I watched it happen when a big 5er came in next to me back then.

Otherwise it's a super park for the natural experience.
2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA (Mack); 2015 VW GTI (Lightning - toad); 2008 Acura MDX SH-AWD (Sally).
Any opinions are my own and not my employer's.
Missing the towing days: 2000 Ford F250 (Trusty Horse)
Follow us (BusyDadRVLife) on YouTube

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
James Island could be booked already, so an alternate is KOA Mt Pleasant. Years ago they were miles from anything, now they are within walking distance from Walmart but still secluded enough not to feel like you are in town.

Would recommend Buck Hall NF also as it is along the ICW. Most sites have a great view across the ICW and marsh. Visiting downtown Charleston is only a 30-40 minute drive down 17 so makes a wonderful secluded place as a base.

Poinsett is a very nice rustic park, but to call the lake is very small. You can walk around it in about an hour. Campground is also about 1/4-1/2 mile from the lake.

Santee is nice, but in April starting to get busy on the weekends. Lake Moultrie is a true large lake. A few of the campsites have wonderful views of the lake.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

terrytrailertra
Explorer
Explorer
I 2nd the previous poster about James Island in Charleston. Definitely go there instead of a hotel. If they are already booked get on the wait list. It generally moves along quickly. Santee and Poinsett Parks are good inland choices. Poinsett is very small and very isolated. It is pretty though because of the unique topography and CCC structures. The current manager there has also done a good job with increasing programs at the park. Santee is on a much bigger lake where sport fishing is a big draw. It also has a lot of geocaches if you are into caching. It is not as far off the beaten path as Poinsett. You may be able to score a lakefront site at Santee. The cg at Poinsett is not on any of its small lakes.
17 Keystone Sprinter
'17 Dodge Ram
DH, DD-15, DS-12, and Me (Mom)

Bill_T
Explorer
Explorer
NCWriter - The beachfront loops were the only loops available when we attempted to make reservations. We are going to try again later on in the year.

Sorry I should have been more clear and stated that not all loops will be closed.
Bill and Debbie
2007.5 SILVERADO HD DA CREWCAB LTZ 4X4 ARE CAP
2003 Nash 25S TT

2012 Lance 855S

1996 Coleman Taos pop-up
1970 jeepster,v-6

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Bill T wrote:
Some of the SC state parks are going thru renovations and loops will be closed. You may want to call the selected park for info on your desired loop and site availability. Not sure when this will begin. We tried reserving our favorite site at Hunting Island for Christmas/New Year, it's on the backside from the beach #58 and #59 and was told it and other loops will be closed.

That's interesting...maybe they arbitrarily closed the loop for some starting timeframe until the end of 2015 as a cutoff, because I booked a beachfront site the other day for January 2016.

Might have availability later if the work gets completed sooner than expected?

Bill_T
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the SC state parks are going thru renovations and loops will be closed. You may want to call the selected park for info on your desired loop and site availability. Not sure when this will begin. We tried reserving our favorite site at Hunting Island for Christmas/New Year, it's on the backside from the beach #58 and #59 and was told it and other loops will be closed.
Bill and Debbie
2007.5 SILVERADO HD DA CREWCAB LTZ 4X4 ARE CAP
2003 Nash 25S TT

2012 Lance 855S

1996 Coleman Taos pop-up
1970 jeepster,v-6

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you just HAVE to stay in a hotel, James Island outside of Charleston is a great place.

I don't know when their shuttle starts, but they have one that will take you to downtown and back. You might want to give them a call.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I was booking my 2016 Hunting Island site today, and saw on the website that they now have free wifi in the park, and are renovating the bathrooms during 2015. Good improvements.

Enjoy your stay at H.I. Great place for a campfire, and they sell wood at the store/office where you check in.

Huntingon Beach is really nice, too. A short walk over the dunes to the unspoiled, wide beach. We need to plan another trip down there - enjoyed it a lot.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a video of a drive through Myrtle Beach State Park back in January. Part of it was closed then.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

BMW442
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome stuff, thanks a lot guys!

I was able to book one night at Hunting Island, and one night (on the beach) at Edisto.
We're gonna do one night (in a hotel) in Charleston since we've never been there before, and then maybe one night at Huntington Beach too.

Also planning to do a night somewhere at an inland SP on our way down, looking at either Santee or Poinsettia for that (they both have lakes).

Thanks again for all the help!

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We rank
Hunting Island first. Always first. I would live there if they wold let me. Best I can do is about three weeks per year. But only if you have the sites close to the beach. Not a fan of the sites further out. If you can book a few days at one site then a few more at another, it will give you an opportunity to dump in between if you need it.

Edisto Beach second. But only if you can get in the Beach campground. There really isn't a lot to do but a beach site will make up for it.

Huntington Beach third. Not really a bad site in the bunch. Not on the beach but close enough. There are other things to do there besides sit on the beach which, is a great beach.

Myrtle Beach fourth. Nothing wrong with it and anywhere else it would be great. But the others are better, in our opinion....
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
WE stayed at Huntington Beach SP over Christmas 2013. I believe we were in site 127.Very isolated which is what we like.We had water and electric and were a few steps from the bath house. It was about a 3 minute walk to the beach.They have great ranger programs and the price is great.We paid $180 for the whole week.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I love Hunting Island enough to go there every January when it can be beautiful or freezing. The oceanfront sites do book up early, to be sure, but it's a lovely place with a terrific stretch of unspoiled beach and lighthouse you can visit. The nearest city, Beaufort, is worth visiting, too. Nice waterfront.

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Edisto Island, going there in 2 weeks, one of our favorites,can hear the waves at the campsites, one of our favorites. Hunting Island, probably our favorite of all, more beachy area, no frills, real nice...both are 30 amps or they were on the last visit.
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart