cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Delmarva campground for teens & fishing

bout2buy
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for the best place to take some fishing obsessed teens camping on Delmarva. Ideally somewhere we would not be likely to encounter sharks or rough water though, we would like to be able to fish from kayak/small boats.

Castaways, frontier town, cherrystone, tall pines harbor, roaring point... Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated!
14 REPLIES 14

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
bout2buy wrote:
This is probably a silly question (I know there are sharks in the Rehoboth/Lewes/Dewey areas) but are there sharks in the bay areas as well? I'm assuming so, since there is nothing to stop them from roaming there. I'd also like to avoid the Man Of War jellyfish that have turned up in this area (Delaware). Do they migrate to the bays as well?

I just bought an inflatable kayak and the kids and I have been having a blast fishing in it, along with a borrowed inflatable boat with some friends. We planned to take these camping since they pack up so small and are so easy to use, but I definitely wouldn't take them anywhere with strong currents, choppy water, or sharks. I wouldn't take anything smaller than a cruise ship where there are sharks! LOL

We love Cape Henlopen SP. Usually take day trips there since we live fairly close.
Yes sharks can come into the bay.But usually they are smaller ones. Sharks even come into fresh water rivers on occasion. In fact the story Jaws was based on was a shark attack in a river in New Jersey way back around 1918 if I remember correctly.

bout2buy
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed to Roaring Point this weekend! We are just glad to have found an opening somewhere...poor planning on my part! This weekend is the White Marlin tournament so most places near OC are booked solid. I've heard the bugs can be overwhelming but we are all super excited. There's a band playing there this weekend too so that could be an added bonus.

A fellow camper warned me that there isn't much to do there besides fish. I had to laugh. My girls will fish all day long. The rest of the time we hang out, talk, laugh and play cards or board games. I'm so glad to be squeezing another trip into this busy summer that is rapidly coming to a close.

So, next question:
Is it safe to let the girls take their inflatable paddle boats out in that water? It is where the Nanticoke river and Tangier sound kind of come together. I need to find tidal charts I guess. We always wear life jackets and I realize it isn't open water like the ocean but I don't want them to get into a dangerous situation. We use the boats basically as fishing rafts, just paddle a little ways from shore and tie them together.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
We have gone to Cherrystone 5x and our daughter just loved it. Yes there is fishing, crabbing and so much more for the kids, that our daughter would leave grab the itinerary sheet and we wouldnt see her for hours. Cherrystone has it down for families and childrens activities. We also stayed at Toms Cove. Toms Cove really packs them in and at the time I had a 27ft TT and had fun getting it in the site. While inside I see a longer TT cutting through my site. I go out and ask what he was doing and he said it was the only way as there was no room to back in. Would have been nice if he asked, but made up for it later with good conversation and beverages. Plenty of fishing there as well, game room for the kids and you can walk into town. Cherrystone would be No 1 for me and Toms Cove No 2. There is also a charter fishing boat at the end of the road by Cherrystone by the clam plant. We went out caught something called croker. They offered to clean and deliver to our site. It was delicious. Heck I want to leave here and there now! cherrystoneva.com
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
bout2buy wrote:
Thanks! You're probably right about the popular places being full. What about island resort in Newark Maryland? Looks like a big lake and a creek...

I am lucky, they're great kids. We stunt need much besides fishing, a pool and a campfire at night.

Island Resort CG is very nice. There is a launch area at the creek to launch your Kayak or canoe where you can paddle out to Assateague if you wanted to. The lake is great for fishing also. There is not much else going on but there is a nice beach on the lake and a very nice pool. The CG owners are great folks. Odds are they will have some sites available as they are still a hidden secret. Prices are very reasonable as well.
Full timing it since July 2012

bout2buy
Explorer
Explorer
That looks like fun too. We have a 24' class C, so we are able to fit almost anywhere.

Martinak SP in Maryland is also very close by, and a friend told me that it's a great place to launch for kayaking on the Choptank. Anyone camped/fished there? I've been meaning to try that park out but we haven't done it yet.

Magua
Explorer
Explorer
Another AMAZING state park (my favorite) is Point Lookout. If you're lucky enough to get a spot in the Green Loop you could put your kayak in at your site (or at the small pier in the loop). It's stunning at sunset. Now that we're a beast of a class A, we'll only fit in a couple spots. But our 30" TT got into many of them beautifully.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/point-lookout-state-park/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=MD&parkId=380518
Me (39), DH (40), DS1: 7 DS2: 6
Grand plans to take the fam on the road for a year+.

bout2buy
Explorer
Explorer
This is probably a silly question (I know there are sharks in the Rehoboth/Lewes/Dewey areas) but are there sharks in the bay areas as well? I'm assuming so, since there is nothing to stop them from roaming there. I'd also like to avoid the Man Of War jellyfish that have turned up in this area (Delaware). Do they migrate to the bays as well?

I just bought an inflatable kayak and the kids and I have been having a blast fishing in it, along with a borrowed inflatable boat with some friends. We planned to take these camping since they pack up so small and are so easy to use, but I definitely wouldn't take them anywhere with strong currents, choppy water, or sharks. I wouldn't take anything smaller than a cruise ship where there are sharks! LOL

We love Cape Henlopen SP. Usually take day trips there since we live fairly close.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cape Henlopen State Park. If you don't mind dry camping (or have solar panels) this is a fantastic park. Access to the Atlantic Ocean, access to the Delaware Bay, great hiker/biker trails, you can actually go inside one of the WW2 observation towers and they have an old WW2 army outpost base you can visit too.

We usually do a day trip when we go to Bethany/Dewey/Rehoboth beaches.

This year we are staying at Indian River Inlet. Never stayed there before. We are headed up August 2nd I believe.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

bout2buy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the awesome suggestions! Now there are so many I want to check out, I don't know where to go first!!

A friend also suggested Tuckahoe SP. We visit Chincoteague every year, and I've been wanting to try Maddox (we usually do Tom's Cove).

Honestly, I don't think it matters where we go. Sometimes we've had the best trips at the places with the worst amenities, just because we brought such a fun group. I can't wait to get out there!

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Kiptopeke State park at the tip of the DelMarVa Pinninsula has full hookups and a nice beach just inside the Chesapeake Bay bridge Tunnel.Also agree on Assategue.We stayed in the national Park Bayside Campground.No hookups but two of the loops allow generators.The Ranger programs are great.Nice beach. You have a better chance of getting a site if you don't go on a weekend.We went in on a Sunday and stayed till Thursday.I also might suggest Jane's Island State park near Crisfield,Md. It has sites with electric hookups.It's on the Chesapeake Bay and has a beach that's accesible only by boat.We have a canoe and it was an easy 20 minute paddle.One more suggestion would be Maddox campground in Chincoteague ,Va. private campground with sites under tall pines.You can ride your bicycles to the National Wildlfe Refuge.They have a nice beach and paved trails to ride your bikes.The wild ponies come right up on the trails.Plus the town has an old movie theater,2 great ice cream shops,lots of good restaraunts,and if it rains you go to Wallops Island which is a NASA tracking station and has a cool visitor center.

Can-AmDuo
Explorer
Explorer
Try
Killens Pond State Park, DE
Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.

Slick_Rick
Explorer
Explorer
We like national parks and state parks and you've got 2 good ones at Assateague Island on the Maryland side. Great fishing both bayside and oceanside. Wild horses. The state park has hookups, national none. Bugs will be bad, bring deet! We camp on the beach in our truck camper. That's my favorite spot but we only live an hour away so if the weather gets bad we pack up and head home. We like tall pines too but we love AI!
Rick
2015 F350 Lariat CC PSD 4x4 SRW
2015 Lance 865 Truck Camper

bout2buy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! You're probably right about the popular places being full. What about island resort in Newark Maryland? Looks like a big lake and a creek...

I am lucky, they're great kids. We stunt need much besides fishing, a pool and a campfire at night.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Indian River inlet in DE. Hard to get into this time of year though.
Cherrystone would work next best, and probably has available sites
The bugs at Tall Pines Harbor are insane.
Roaring point is small and out in the middle of nowhere, not much to do around. Number 2 behind IR inlet for fishing though.
Frontier Town and Castaways are booked solid, you might get an occasional weekday or 2.
Nice to see teens wanting to be outside, you must be a good parent. Have fun.
Puma 30RKSS