cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Between Charleston SC and Savannah GA

Loving_God_s_Co
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! We currently have a reservation at Hunting Island State park for a 2 week vacation trip in August. What I'm hearing is that the Mosquitos are bad at that time of year and I'm just wondering if we should book somewhere else instead???

With that being said, are there any other options on the ocean between these two cities that do not have this bug issue? Part of the enjoyment of camping is being outside and I just can't see ourselves staying inside of the camper while we are at the campsite all the time!

Thanks!!
God Bless and Happy Traveling!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
18 REPLIES 18

jgolden
Explorer
Explorer
Ask any Marine if they remember the mosquitoes at Parris Island (not far from Hunting island), and they will tell you that they hardly remember them. Just get someone to wake you up real early and keep you "busy" all day. Perhaps they can verbally motivate you all day also.For a small additional fee.

Do the mosquitos still eat the sand fleas? ๐Ÿ™‚
2016 Newmar BayStar Sport Ford F53 chassis down sized from :2001 Newmar MountainAire 350Cummins ISC,Spartan, 2015 GMC Terrain

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
rjsurfer wrote:
Enjoy those beach front sites while you can in another few years they will be gone. Many have fallen victim to rising sea levels already, some even flood on a high tide!

Ron W.

So sad, but true. Actually the site numbers at HI do not make sense because some sites are no longer there due to changes in coastline. The whole ocean-front row is now gone, and the second row has become the first.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy those beach front sites while you can in another few years they will be gone. Many have fallen victim to rising sea levels already, some even flood on a high tide!

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

StreamNTyme
Explorer
Explorer
Loving God's Country! wrote:
Hello! We currently have a reservation at Hunting Island State park for a 2 week vacation trip in August. What I'm hearing is that the Mosquitos are bad at that time of year and I'm just wondering if we should book somewhere else instead???

With that being said, are there any other options on the ocean between these two cities that do not have this bug issue? Part of the enjoyment of camping is being outside and I just can't see ourselves staying inside of the camper while we are at the campsite all the time!

Thanks!!

Hunting Island is beautiful..as is Beaufort, Bluffton, Sav and all the towns along the SE coast. The bugs are the same everywhere at that time of the year. if you have a site near the beach you won't have any bugs, the further you get from the beach the more bugs..it is in deep woods! I think there are more bugs in Ohio... we live near and never have a problem w mosquito..do have no see 'ums in early spring but they are gone by summer and they are only out early am and dusk. Like someone said, a box fan works great, as does repellent. So much to see and enjoy..this area is so very pretty you won't have time to think about the bugs. Make sure you go to the top of the lighthouse, eat lots of local fresh seafood, go kayaking, hiking and walking on the beach. See the historic homes and museums located throughout the Low Country. Enjoy your time here.

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
Hunting Island is hands down my all-time favorite campground. I've been there when there's no bugs, and I've been there when they're bad. However, when they're bad it's not continuous. It's kind of odd, but they'll be thick and then minutes later gone. It may repeat throughout the day. Some have said the bugs won't be close to the water where there's a breeze, but at Hunting Island that's not the case. There are times when you can be wading in the waves and fighting the bugs at the same time. It's worth it to me, since it's not continuous.

Can't get much better than this....
Site and road covered with sand from storm - Copy by C. Baker, on Flickr[/img]
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
Its not just the mosquitos, its the "no-see-ums", aka sand gnats. they will eat you up and leave you itching for weeks. The box fans idea is the best, moving air helps a lot BUT.... keep your door and windows closed at all times. They are small enough to go through the screen. It is the nature of the sandy soil and wet conditions so its a coastal area wide condition.

If they are no-see-ums there is control. Just came back from a heavy no-see-um area in Mexico and we used a new product Coleman SkinSmart. Also used no-see-um suits, replaced the screens on the motorhome with no-see-um screen material purchased at Lowes and extra fans for outside use. The SkinSmart & suits were purchased at Walmart.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
AikenRacer wrote:
If you wanna give up your site, let me know. That is our favorite place if you are on the ocean side of the park. Use the fans and repellent and you should be good.

site #40 on the ocean ... February 01 to 28...

NO bugs this month. a little cool. windy.. but nice.

IMG_0830 (1152 x 864) by , on Flickr

Sunrise this morning from my trailer door.

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
If you wanna give up your site, let me know. That is our favorite place if you are on the ocean side of the park. Use the fans and repellent and you should be good.
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Bugs on the SC/GA coast are bad no matter what time of the year. Work on the repellent thing and enjoy yourself.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Its not just the mosquitos, its the "no-see-ums", aka sand gnats. they will eat you up and leave you itching for weeks. The box fans idea is the best, moving air helps a lot BUT.... keep your door and windows closed at all times. They are small enough to go through the screen. It is the nature of the sandy soil and wet conditions so its a coastal area wide condition.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently at Edisto Island state park. weather is OK... cool. no bugs ๐Ÿ™‚

was at Hunting Island 2 weeks ago.. packed.. with campers

any body of water.. fresh or salt.. will have tons of bugs.. even Lake Erie.. LOL.

pack the fans, and bug spray.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We visit some friends alot that live on Johns Island not too far back towards Charleston from Hunting Island.

They have mosquitoes so bad they have to wear those mosquito hat nets to get things out of their garden haha...

The Mosquitoes there are the real little ones which get inside almost anything. Hunting Island probably has the small size mosquitoes as well... I do notice Hunting Island camp is on the coast and you would think that will help big time as you always seem to get a breeze off the ocean... The reviews however says this may be mosquito heaven haha... We have never camped there before but have camped on the coast alot up in south Myrtle beach ocean side.

We also camp using our 24-inch box fan when sitting around the camp fire in the evening... Really helps alot...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The closer to the beach you are the less the bugs are a problem. As noted moving air is the best defense against bugs. Put those fans on high and let them rip. HISP is a great area to explore.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)