Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Big Bend NP Texas

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

We are presently in Austin, TX and on our way west through El Paso to Southern, CA. We want to make a side trip to Big Bend National Park and have two questions. We plan to come into the park from the north and exit the park on the west side.

1. I see in the Rand Mcnally motor carries' atlas (our road bible) there are truckers routes up to entering the national park. How are the roads within the park for a 45 foot motorhome towing a car?

2. Can anyone recommend an rv park for our 45 foot motorhome. First choice would be a full hook up site however we are fine with less facilities or boondocking. We plan to be there for 3 days.

Thanks for your input,

Stuart
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014
9 REPLIES 9

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I have not stayed at either.

While we were hosts at the Chisos Basin CG in Big Bend (Apr-Aug 2014) we went into Study Butte/ Terlingua weekly.

Both RV parks are simply flat graded gravel/dirt areas with hookups. Rigs are 8-15 feet apart. BJ's is a couple miles from the nearest store (a liquor store), while Big Bend Resort is located behind the motel/ restaurant/ store/ only gas/diesel fuel station in the area.

BJ's is 19 sites - probably 15-12 sites open for visitors the rest for long term residents.

Big Bend RV Resort is about 130 sites.

Their rates are near identical.

BJ's is a 'smaller park' feel.

-----------------------

Looking over the posts - I though I should mention something about fuel.

Fill up at Marathon, Alpine or Presidio before you head toward the park.

There is one fuel station near Panther Junction Park HQ, one at Rio Grande Village, one at Study Butte/Terlingua (Big Bend RV Resort) and one at Lajitas. You are going to pay a substantial 'boonie tax' - i.e. higher fuel prices for a remote location.

Gas Buddy says today fuel just off I-10 at Fort Stockton is $2.05 gasoline/ $2.40 diesel. Marathon is $2.68 diesel while Alpine is $2.45.

Prices aren't listed for the four stations I mentioned, however my experience is 20-30 cents per gallon higher than Marathon in Study Butte/ Terlingua/ Lajitas and 40-50 cents per gallon higher than Marathon in the park.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your suggestions and input. We are thinking of staying on the west side of the park as this will be how we will want to exit the area. We are thinking of either BJ RV park in Terlingua or the Big Bend Resort in Terlinqua.

We will then drive each day into the park. Does anyone have experience with either or both of these parks. BJ had great reviews at RV park reviews. Big Bend resort had OK reviews.

Stuart
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest staying within the Park; two nights on the east side at Rio Grande Village (the NPS CG, not the commercial one by the same name and next door) and one night Cottonwood. Three days is just enough to get a taste of Big Bend.

On the east side, the Hot Springs, Boquillas Canyon, RGV nature trail and a drive on the Old Ore Road (3-4 hrs) are a must. Ernst Tinaja off Old Ore Road is a great short hike. Go up to the Basin, hike the Window Trail or at least the Window View Trail and have dinner at the restaurant there. Lost Mine is a good hike there if you have time.

On the west side (Cottonwood), Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive, Santa Elena Canyon. Burro Mesa pouroff (short hike), take Old Maverick Road to western exit and have dinner at the Starlight Theater in Terlingua. La Kiva is an interesting local watering hole there also.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
With our 40' motorhome we've stayed in Rio Grand Village campground. We also drove the unimproved roads with our Jeep Liberty. All roads leading into the park are excellent.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
The unimproved roads in the park mostly require a high clearance vehicle. I have covered most of them in a Dodge van and a Suzuki Sidekick. It would be unusual to find one that the Cherokee couldn't handle. Not all sites at the Rio Grande Village store can handle the 45 footer but he can always default to the Rio Grande Village Campground where he can park in the generator zone. I don't care for the campgrounds outside the park. I agree with doing Hwy 90 and somewhat with Hwy 170. Try to catch an evening ranger program while you're there.
Currently Between RVs

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
There are a couple dozen FHU 50amp sites for use in a parking lot next to the Rio Grande Village store. These are concessionaire run sites. Check the Big Bend web site under camping for info.

The other FHU options outside the park all involve at least an hour drive to parts of the park you will want to visit.

The motor carriers atlas doesn't show the roads as 'good' because they are considered toll roads. i.e. you have to pay an entrance fee to get into the park - so that makes it a toll road. As mentioned above - the main paved roads within the park are excellent.

Be careful with unpaved roads in your toad. Check with the Visitor Center about specific routes suitability for that day. Some back roads in Big Bend could be too rough for your Jeep.

I would recommend you take US-90 west from San Antonio vice I-10. A much more interesting drive. Turn south into the park at Marathon.

Leaving the park - TX-118 to Alpine is an excellent road.

A much more interesting road is TX-170 to Presidio and then north to Marfa. There is one very steep section, but I've driven it several times, once pulling my 36' TT.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
The suggestions you have received so far do not match up with your stated plans - in from the north and out through the west. If that is the plan you wish to stick to, you may need to consider Rio Grand Village in the park. It has a no hookup campground, which has some sites with generators allowed during certain parts of the day, and a full hookup site which is a converted parking lot. If you decide to stay at the parks outside on the west, I would suggest driving through the park, setting up and then going back in with your vehicle. Another option is Stillwell RV Park on the northeast side before you enter the park on your planned route. I highly recommend an internet search of the options that are suggested to you to assure they meet your expectations. The distances involved in that part of Texas are not trivial.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
The park in Study Butte would be easy then drive into
the park from there. Don't forget to check out the porch
at sunset.
Bob

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
The roads in the park will be fine for your rig. EXCEPT the one up into the Chisos Basin area.

At Terlingua, on the west side of the park, is the Big Bend RV park. Not fancy, but with hookups, etc, and close enough to the park for touring.
Going out the west, you can take 118 up to Alpine and I 10, or you can take the river road up to Presidio and then 67 on to Marfa. The river road has one short area that is a bit curvy and has a sharp, but short grade on it, but our rig handled it ok.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.