cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

big rig campground at sleeping bear dunes, pictured rocks

buckeye_nut
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip in mid Aug to Sleeping Bear Dunes, Mackinac Island and Pictured Rocks. We have a 35ft fifth wheel with 3 deep slides and a crew cab with long bed truck. We usually need a 40ft pad with out trees close to pad and have to park the truck at an angle to fit. We like state parks the best. Is there any parks around these areas that we will fit on. We would only need electric. If anyone has certain site numbers that are bigger that would be a great help.
26 REPLIES 26

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
buckeye nut wrote:
Thanks everyone for the info. I booked 4 nights at Munising for Aug 26-29. We are hoping to be able to get into the Straights or Wilderness State park Aug 22-25. We want to go to Mackinaw Island and do some hiking or biking in the area. Witch park would you recommend? it looks like we could do a lot of hiking at Wilderness SP, But will we be able to find a spot we fit on or should we do a day trip there? Hammerboy, You said you were on site 4-5 at Munising do you know if you share an electric post and water hookup. I was reading reviews and one person said 2 sites shared the same electric post and 4 shared the same water hookup. We booked site #3 (water front site) and I just wandered if anyone knew how far away the hookups would be from the camper.
I've been on #3. Nice spot. You will need a couple of hoses. Make sure you have a good pressure regulator.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have also stayed at Munising and found there to be plenty of room. Another place to look into is Indigo RV Resort for your stop at Sleeping Bear. It is also big rig friendly.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
You'll have no problem at Wilderness with your rig.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Munising has an odd layout as far as hook ups go. You will be sharing water hook ups for sure, I'm not sure about your location, some sites 2 parties share and on some 4 parties share. I would make sure you take an extra 25' water hose and plan on using an extension cord. Some of the pedestals are pretty spread out. Last fall I saw a one site where the people had 3 sections of water hose stretched out. :E A lot will also depend on where you place your RV on your site, they're not at all picky how you position yourself on the site.

We've stayed at Munising Tourists Park 2 years in a row, It's a gorgeous place to camp at in spite of the odd hook up situation. The sunsets are incredible!

Dan

buckeye_nut
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the info. I booked 4 nights at Munising for Aug 26-29. We are hoping to be able to get into the Straights or Wilderness State park Aug 22-25. We want to go to Mackinaw Island and do some hiking or biking in the area. Witch park would you recommend? it looks like we could do a lot of hiking at Wilderness SP, But will we be able to find a spot we fit on or should we do a day trip there? Hammerboy, You said you were on site 4-5 at Munising do you know if you share an electric post and water hookup. I was reading reviews and one person said 2 sites shared the same electric post and 4 shared the same water hookup. We booked site #3 (water front site) and I just wandered if anyone knew how far away the hookups would be from the camper.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Mackinaw Mill Creek CG has what you want.

Beware of Mill Creek. Their lake view sites are packed close together and tiny, with little room for slides or awnings. No fire rings, firepits are a pie pan they issue you at the office. When we stayed there the place was packed, with golf carts and kids on bikes, and dusty unpaved roads. We stayed there once long ago, and won't be going back.

YMMV, many people love the place. Has a pool, game room, etc. Some sites have a nice view of the bridge. But if you like state parks, you will probably not care for Mill Creek.

Wilderness SP west of Mackinac City is far superior, IMHO, with lakefront sites, 18 miles of secluded shoreline, and 10,000 acres of woods and trails.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
There's so many places to visit, how much time is available?

The City of Marquette is worth a visit. The huge infrastructure in place for loading and unloading Great Lakes freighters is fascinating.

Driving US2 between the bridge and Escanaba is very pretty. Stop in Manistique and see Kitch-iti-kipi ... A fantastic deep blue spring, fed with ice cold water year round.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
buckeye nut wrote:
I was looking at Munising at thought it looked really nice. Now if I can just find a few open days in our time frame. Thanks for the info. Was it very close to pictured rock? How many days should we spend in the area? We hike, bike, and anything outdoorsy.

We spent just a couple of days there kind of โ€œsamplingโ€ the area but we could of spent a lot more time there. Yes it is just a couple miles from Pictured Rocks and the boat tours. Pictured Rocks does cover a lot of ground though so lots to explore in the area. Munising Tourist Park is nothing fancy but you go there for the views. If you have kayaks you can kayak from your campsite to Grand Island.

Also you could go to Sault st Marie and check out the ships and the locks as well. We often go to Aune Osborne, a city owned rv park right on the bend of the St Maryโ€™s River. 1000โ€™ long ships pass so close you could almost hit them with a rock it seems.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Mackinaw Mill Creek CG has what you want.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Straits SP has lots of huge sites at the upper campground... The lower campground is a bit tighter.

Walking distance to the Mackinac Island Ferry.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

buckeye_nut
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking at Munising at thought it looked really nice. Now if I can just find a few open days in our time frame. Thanks for the info. Was it very close to pictured rock? How many days should we spend in the area? We hike, bike, and anything outdoorsy.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about Sleeping Bear but we stayed at Munising Tourist park last year (picured rocks) and they have lake front site that are very large and can fit just about any size rig. The lake front sites on the western end and middle are the deeper ones. We stayed in the middle section and they were huge, I believe we had lots 4-5.

Munising Tourist Park

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel