cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black Hills Campground

craigandsue
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for recommendations on campgrounds in the Black Hills that can handle a 40' 5th wheel. We like fairly secluded scenic sights that are not packed together and right next to a road.
Craig, Sue, 2 boys
2013 F350 DRW Diesel, 2016 Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH, 05 Alpenlite 1150 Santa Fe
13 REPLIES 13

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Big Pines Campground in Custer. We stayed there last year for a week and it was quiet, spacious site, lots of trees, and very clean. Also very nice owners.

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

Geobiker
Explorer
Explorer
Big Pines just outside of Custer has...wait for it.... big pines everywhere. The best spots are at the very top which backs up to public forest land. We regularly had deer visit our site; can't remember the site number but it was at the very top of the park. They have partial and FHUs. This is a relatively small campground with newer owners who are continuing to make improvements. We were there last year for a week and really enjoyed the quiet after full days of site seeing and fun. Happy camping.

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
RGar974417 wrote:
Rafter J in Hill City is a nice commercial campground. The section we stayed in was very secluded.I believe it was the lower ranch camp section. We had the second site from the end. Besides that there is Custer State Park. They have several campgrounds with electric hookups only.

x2

This was one of the nicest campgrounds I've ever stayed at.

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
I stayed at "We li kit" to me it's every thing you want. I have a 36 5th wheel. Stayed in site 39 had no trouble, feed the deer and turkeys from rear of camper. It's a place worth checking out
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

russkerri
Explorer
Explorer
We just stayed at Rafter and fell in love with the Ranch Camp area, though I'm not 100% sure how easily 5th wheels will fit. They'd know, though, when you make reservations. I just wrote a blog post with detailed descriptions of their 5 campground sections. You can check it out here: Campground Review.

Pine trees and large sites won me over, and it's a perfect basecamp for all of the areas of the Black Hills.
Kerri
RVs with a Jayco 184BH named Birdy
Blogs at Travels with Birdy

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
If Rafter J Bar interests you, H E R E is the map of the campground, and H E R E is descriptive info on each of the sections. There are actually 6 rather than 5 sections, so there's definitely something for everyone.

I usually stay in either the Ranch Camp or Lower Ranch Camp. The Ranch Camp is in the trees, and could be a bit tight for a 40ft 5th wheel, but it's doable in some of the sites, and there are some pull throughs. That said, I watched a guy with a dually and a big honkin' 5th wheel BACK in to a very tight spot, in between trees. His skill level was quite high!! :C

The Island Camp seems to be a preferred section for folks with bigger rigs and no need for the shared showers/restrooms. It's a very impressive section indeed, lots of space between sites.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
+3 We stay at Rafter J Bar every trip through the area. We spent tree weeks there in June 0f 2015.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

flgator4
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with rafter j. We stayed there in June. There are different sections depending on what you like.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
RGar974417 wrote:
Rafter J in Hill City is a nice commercial campground. The section we stayed in was very secluded.I believe it was the lower ranch camp section. We had the second site from the end. Besides that there is Custer State Park. They have several campgrounds with electric hookups only.

+1 on Rafter J Bar Ranch. They have 5 very different sections, for diverse interests. If you do a search here on Rafter J, you will find bunches of recommendations on it.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Beaver Lake Campground 5 miles west of Custer.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/blackhills/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=25823&actid=29

no hookups
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
with hookups or dry camping?
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4