cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Hills suggestions

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading to the Black Hills for 8 days in about a week. It was planned rather last minute due to another trip/music festival cancellation. We have reservations at Custer's Gulch RV Park just outside Custer, so that part is taken care of, but if anybody has any tips for that particular park, I'm happy to hear them.

My question for all is, any suggestions on interesting/off the beaten path stuff to do up there? We of course know about all the main attractions... Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, Needles Highway etc. Good restaurants/brewery suggestions are welcome too! It's just the two of us in our late 30s, and 2 of our dogs. No kids.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor
14 REPLIES 14

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
We visited Custer State Park several years ago the week after Labor Day -- had to fly in and rent a car so we weren't in our RV at the time. We stayed at both the State Game Lodge and Sylvan Lake Lodge, and although you wouldn't be staying there, I recall the restaurants in both of them being quite nice -- not pricey, but good food in a nice atmosphere. Might be worth a try.

I also vividly remember going through the park and feeding the donkeys. They loved the small carrots. Even if initially they're a distance away, showing them that you have a bag of carrots will bring them right to you!

Good tip on the carrots!

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
ksbowman wrote:
We stayed at Custer Gulch about 10 years ago. The owner and managers were the nicest, friendly people and easy to be around. We rolled in with no reservations and asked about a spot. They had one spot open each night (of 4 we needed) but each at a different site. As we moved each day they apologized for having us move even though they were doing us a great favor by working us in even though we were at fault for not planning ahead. If I were going back to the Black Hills again that is where we will stay. Very clean, quiet and pleasant place to stay and right outside the park west entrance.

Great, thank you! Some of the reviews mention people having issues with staff but I feel like that's a situation where there's two sides to the story 🙂 We are looking forward to staying there!

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
What movie was filmed in the Black Hills?

Many more than just 1 ... numerous movie set sites in the Hills all the way back to 1914.

https://www.filmblackhills.com/shot_in_sd.php

Disclaimer - local knowledge as I grew up in Custer.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
...... What movie was filmed in the Black Hills?

North By Northwest - 🙂

We saw this movie when it opened in Radio City Music Hall in NYC, as we Relocated to The Left Coast - we stopped to See MT Rushmore, a few days later to see the Presidents, it was awesome then and has been everytime we go, Love the Black Hills.

JMHO,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_by_Northwest
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
ae5573t wrote:
I wouldn't miss Bobkats Purple Pie Store in Custer nor Black Hills Burger and Bun also in Custer.

I'll second black hills burger and buns, very good, though if you're looking at a 2+ hour wait go back another day, not worth that IMHO. We were told that the first day, went back the 2nd just before closing time and got a seat right away and had some tasty burgers at only slightly crazy prices.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Take the bus tours: Rushmore and Crazy horse is one and the Black Hills in another. What movie was filmed in the Black Hills?

I think your remembering Dances With Wolfs. A film site is off the Spearfish Canyon Drive. Wife and I took our picture with the sign marking it way back in 95

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
add another thumbs up for Custer's Gulch rv park.
A day trip over to the Badlands park. The restaurant at the visitor center does a really BIG, tasty indian taco...have them cut it in half for the two of you.
Wall Drug is interesting.
The Minuteman Missile museum/visitor center, located at the eastern exit off I 90, (highway 240) is a small gem and worth your time.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Take the bus tours: Rushmore and Crazy horse is one and the Black Hills in another. What movie was filmed in the Black Hills?

Somebody gave away the answer but I wanted the poster to check it out for themselves.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Wall Drug about 100 miles one way and it will take most of a day to see, get a Buffalo burger while there. Minuteman Missile National Historical Site near Wall.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed at Custer Gulch about 10 years ago. The owner and managers were the nicest, friendly people and easy to be around. We rolled in with no reservations and asked about a spot. They had one spot open each night (of 4 we needed) but each at a different site. As we moved each day they apologized for having us move even though they were doing us a great favor by working us in even though we were at fault for not planning ahead. If I were going back to the Black Hills again that is where we will stay. Very clean, quiet and pleasant place to stay and right outside the park west entrance.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
jewel and wind caves

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Needles Highway, Sturgis (Buffalo Chip Saloon), Deadwood
Most of these are not out of the way, but interesting.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ae5573t
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't miss Bobkats Purple Pie Store in Custer nor Black Hills Burger and Bun also in Custer.
2018 Thor Tuscany 42GX
2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
We visited Custer State Park several years ago the week after Labor Day -- had to fly in and rent a car so we weren't in our RV at the time. We stayed at both the State Game Lodge and Sylvan Lake Lodge, and although you wouldn't be staying there, I recall the restaurants in both of them being quite nice -- not pricey, but good food in a nice atmosphere. Might be worth a try.

I also vividly remember going through the park and feeding the donkeys. They loved the small carrots. Even if initially they're a distance away, showing them that you have a bag of carrots will bring them right to you!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress