cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking in the East

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
To everyone who thought that all the great boondocking sites were out west, NOT. I just came across the fact the The Allegheny National Forest in Pa. has 100's of sites. You can stop at any District Forest Office (1 being in Bradford Pa) and get a listing of all the sites by GPS, and also the authorized road system you can use to get to the sites. I've looked at several of them using Google Maps, and some of the areas are large enough to set up 4-6 RV's for a group gathering.
6 REPLIES 6

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
The North Maine Woods has some too, but the fees to enter put a damper on things.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Robert6401
Explorer
Explorer
We will be purchasing a TH 5er soon with a generator. Looking forward to being able to get further off the grid, even though we are east coasters. Any recommendations on where to go is very appreciated.
2018 Ford F450
2012 Raptor 297SE
2009 Forest River Sierra 335QBQ

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Many sites designated for dispersed camping in the Cherokee National Forest, as well.

Lots of restrictions--100 feet from water, trails. So nothing right by a stream. That does limit the locations since water is abundant in the Appalachians.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't rule out the "other' high country areas of the East being along the Blue Ridge Parkway and many NATL Forest sites around the nigh country of VA-TN-NC-SC-GA-AL...

These have been my OFF-ROAD playgrounds for the past few years living here in Northern Neck of Virginia...

We like the high country the best as it brings us closer to our real roots of camping back off the trails... The beach camping in really good as well but adds big time expenses of mixing camping in with traveling point to point camping. We do both styles here but our true love is camping off the power grids along a creekside camp site somewhere. We love the nature night sounds up close...

Roy and Carolyn
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Joyce_in_NY
Explorer
Explorer
This is great to know!
Cardinal 33TSLE